Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

Old May 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
It would in NZ, my Toyota Surf, 3 litre diesel, SSR-G (good model with extras), 1996, 54000kms, Jap import, great condition - cost NZD22500 which would be AUD19500.

Pollster got one similar.

Strange the two countries offer such different value for used cars.

Do you know I thought Pollsters' car was a good price.

Why is it that new cars seem to be better value???
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Do you know I thought Pollsters' car was a good price.

Why is it that new cars seem to be better value???
True enough. I had a used Hyundai in Aus, very small one, not that brilliant condition as the AC bust on me, it cost GBP4000 in 1999.

It was rubbish.

Aus new cars not too expensive in comparison.

For that money (GBP4000) in NZ you could get a whole lot of car. I think NZ liberalised the market or something similar, ie low import duty.
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi MP

If you do buy an older 4X4, get it inspected!

We don't have MOT's so these things can have serious problems that aren't visible.

There is however a statutory warranty that all licenced dealers (unlicenced do exist but not within the law) have ot give which should cover any safety related issues.

BTW I've seen some pretty nice looking Landies (Discovery) going for 2-3k more than your budget if you can stretch.
Like the sound of that, we have a Disco at the mo, looked into shipping it, but will cost arm and leg, so would like to buy another when we arrive, after looking at the Oz Autotrader, they seem to come up cheaper than the UK which I was pretty socked about
Old May 4th 2004, 6:14 am
Just Joined

cleo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Maxine
We have just purchased a car for our daughter on the web/telephone. This website might give you an idea of the new prices and if you email them they might even have second hand cars.
www.discountnewcars.com.au

Terri

I have been looking at the variuos car sales websites.

Just wondering from peoples actual experience is it going to be possible to get a decent 4WD for $17k -$20k - not that old. I can't seem to find anything for this kind of price.

Cheers

Maxine x
Old May 4th 2004, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi MP

If you do buy an older 4X4, get it inspected!

We don't have MOT's so these things can have serious problems that aren't visible.

There is however a statutory warranty that all licenced dealers (unlicenced do exist but not within the law) have ot give which should cover any safety related issues.

BTW I've seen some pretty nice looking Landies (Discovery) going for 2-3k more than your budget if you can stretch.
Some States do have an equivalent of the MOT, NSW for example does, QLD doesn't, I assume WA doesn't either then.

The statutory warranty doesn't last for long, and I personnaly never trust any second hand car warranty, (that must come from having worked in a car dealership once )

Old May 4th 2004, 7:03 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Hi Max

I bought my LandRover Discovery (3.9 litre V8 if Hubby wants to know) for $15K. 1997 model, with 120K kilometres on it (nothing for a V8). Goes like shit off a shovel!!

The guy had advertised it on eBay (where you'll find quite a few decent cars) for $17K, but I talked him out of it. They DO like to haggle here! Remember to add for rego (if it needs it). Just about to renew mine at $345 for the year, but that's just the rego, not the inspection that goes with it. That will cost depending on what they find that 'needs fixing...' The inspection itself is only about $30, as far as i can remember.

Also remember insurance, and there is NO SUCH THING as "3rd party, fire and theft". If you want to be covered for fire and theft you HAVE to take out fully comp. This on top of your CTP - Compulsory Third Party, which covers you for hitting other people / property, which is about $6-700.....

All adds up, dunnit? I didn't have much change out of $19K by the time I'd got it on the road.

Hope this help.
Old May 4th 2004, 7:20 am

Originally posted by downunderpom
Hi Max

I bought my LandRover Discovery (3.9 litre V8 if Hubby wants to know) for $15K. 1997 model, with 120K kilometres on it (nothing for a V8). Goes like shit off a shovel!!

The guy had advertised it on eBay (where you'll find quite a few decent cars) for $17K, but I talked him out of it. They DO like to haggle here! Remember to add for rego (if it needs it). Just about to renew mine at $345 for the year, but that's just the rego, not the inspection that goes with it. That will cost depending on what they find that 'needs fixing...' The inspection itself is only about $30, as far as i can remember.

Also remember insurance, and there is NO SUCH THING as "3rd party, fire and theft". If you want to be covered for fire and theft you HAVE to take out fully comp. This on top of your CTP - Compulsory Third Party, which covers you for hitting other people / property, which is about $6-700.....

All adds up, dunnit? I didn't have much change out of $19K by the time I'd got it on the road.

Hope this help.
Hiya,

Yeah I have looked into all the extras you have to pay - I have got those in my budget so the money I will have is just for the car.

Thats not a bad price for a discovery is it? I'll have a look on ebay!

Cheers

Max x
Old May 4th 2004, 7:32 am

Originally posted by cleo19
Hi Maxine
We have just purchased a car for our daughter on the web/telephone. This website might give you an idea of the new prices and if you email them they might even have second hand cars.
www.discountnewcars.com.au

Terri
Thanks Terri,

This is a really good site. I have to say I am veering towards a new car as the price for what you get with a second hand car seems off balance!
Old May 4th 2004, 7:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Terri,

This is a really good site. I have to say I am veering towards a new car as the price for what you get with a second hand car seems off balance!
My advice is get a reasonable second hand car.

Just about every trip to the shopping centre will get your shiny, brand new car another dent, from runaway trollies to other people flinging their doors open.

The level of random car denting here is unbelievable.
Old May 4th 2004, 8:59 am

Originally posted by renth
My advice is get a reasonable second hand car.

Just about every trip to the shopping centre will get your shiny, brand new car another dent, from runaway trollies to other people flinging their doors open.

The level of random car denting here is unbelievable.

LOL..

It always happens with new cars doesn't it!

When Ed got his new company car recently he returned from an appointment to find £700 worth of damage! ..and they just drove off. Unluckily for them someone saw them and wrote down their number plate..bet they had a shock when the insurance company contacted them!!

Cheers Renth
Old May 4th 2004, 9:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by downunderpom
Clarification on CTP Insurance/Greenslip.

Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury (CTP) Insurance protects you and those driving your vehicle against claims for compensation for injury or death if you injure someone in a motor accident. If you're not insured, you could be liable for millions of dollars.

It doesn't actually cover Property damage.

Old May 4th 2004, 9:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In NSW and some other stated don't forget stamp duty.
Old May 4th 2004, 9:44 am
Just Joined

cleo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Terri,

Maxine
That's exactly what we thought, I wish we had known about this website when we bought our 4WD a year ago.
You probably already know this but just incase, when you get a quote from any of these dealers get them to give you a detailed breakdown of all the add on's as there are quite a few.
Also don't forget to tell them about the discounts/special deals they have on offer on the website.
We didn't actually buy our car from them, but the dealer that sold us it was quite willing to match and even give us a little bit more because he wanted our business, so if you go elsewhere mention the price on discount new cars website.

Good luck

Terri
Old May 4th 2004, 9:49 am

Originally posted by cleo19
Maxine
That's exactly what we thought, I wish we had known about this website when we bought our 4WD a year ago.
You probably already know this but just incase, when you get a quote from any of these dealers get them to give you a detailed breakdown of all the add on's as there are quite a few.
Also don't forget to tell them about the discounts/special deals they have on offer on the website.
We didn't actually buy our car from them, but the dealer that sold us it was quite willing to match and even give us a little bit more because he wanted our business, so if you go elsewhere mention the price on discount new cars website.

Good luck

Terri

Thanks Terri!
Old May 4th 2004, 11:49 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

I think thats a good thing about Aus - don't you?

Here everyone seems to want to out-do the nextdoor neighbour with a better car (we all know they are on HP so whats the difference!) I don't subscribe to buying on HP I'm afraid and if I have spare cash it's always goes into property where you get a return on your money! Hence I drive around in my little M reg Punto - but I thought I would treat myself and the girls to a bit more comfort and power steering and as I am a short ass I thought a 4wd being high up would be nice!

What do you think I would have to pay to get a Honda CRV or a Nissan x-trail or something like that...it really depends on what more we can save between now and September!

Thanks yvsie x

My little car is a M reg Hyundai Accent, Lilac/ Pink colour and I love it, will be devestated when I have to leave it, I don't care about cars just as long as they work, when we were out in Oz at Xmas saw an exact same colour and model as mine so am going to buy another one, I would love to be able to ship it over but its only worth about £400 so really not worth it, but will have to make sure she goes to a good owner!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.