Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much is PR worth???

Wikiposts

How much is PR worth???

Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:57 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much is PR worth???

I'm currently on a 457 Visa and looking to change jobs (offer forthcoming). I believe if I change jobs on a 457 then I lose Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) - which is worth quite a bit, so I'm pushing to see if they'll go the whole hog and sponsor me for PR.

When I'm comparing my current net salary to a potential offer +PR, you'd say that if both gave me the same net salary but one gave PR and the other didn't then I'd be better off with the PR one. However, if the PR one paid less, then how much less is reasonable?

In summary, what annual salary equivalent do you think PR is worth relative to a temp visa?

I think I've sort of made my own mind up but am intrigued to find out the views of others. Guesstimates are fine
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is PR worth???

Originally Posted by jayr

In summary, what annual salary equivalent do you think PR is worth relative to a temp visa?

I think I've sort of made my own mind up but am intrigued to find out the views of others. Guesstimates are fine
It's hard to be specific and will vary depending on circumstances.

If you have children of school or university age, then you can do the sums fairly easily to work out the difference in school/uni fees.

But how can you put a price on, for example, citizenship for your Australian born children?

Or a spouse denied a career opportunity due to not having PR?

Jeremy
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:45 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is PR worth???

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's hard to be specific and will vary depending on circumstances.

If you have children of school or university age, then you can do the sums fairly easily to work out the difference in school/uni fees.

But how can you put a price on, for example, citizenship for your Australian born children?

Or a spouse denied a career opportunity due to not having PR?

Jeremy

I know. I can easily price the loss of LAFHA and have taken that into account, being in QLD there is no difference for schooling as no state school fees apply.

I presume if I got PR there are other financial benefits available, rebates on kindy fees, some of those child tax benefits etc. I'll have a look at the ATO.