Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much for a new start??

How much for a new start??

Old Feb 6th 2002, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

Hi experienced ones,

Talking about expenses, how much do you think one would need to start off a new life in OZ? We are a family of husband, wife and one school going child - 10 years old.

I am nearing my 40th birthday and am in the IT sector.

Do you think would be a worthy move with only about a couple hundred thousand USD as my net worth?

If these questions sound stupid, could anyone guide me to an appropriate NG.

Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2002, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

Does my question really sound so dumb that nobody has an answer?
Old Feb 11th 2002, 12:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default No not dumb it is just the answer is 'depends'

Where do you plan to live? Are you thinking of private or public schooling - do you buy new cars/want to own rent your house will you be prepared to travel distances to work or want to be able to get to work within a few mins. All of these things impact of the possible answers. I will be going to Sydney and am reeling at the cost involved. I live in the South of England but this is like thinking about moving to London. Try George Lombards site he has some cost of living calculators and such like http://www.austimmigration.com.au/main.htm
and there are others on the web under job sites that give approximations of what the salaries are like, I am being offered less than I get in the UK on direct transfer. Scarey stuff
Old Feb 11th 2002, 5:10 pm
Jez

I think the cost of living is more than most people seem to think. If you go to
www.woolworths.com.au you can compare your groceries for example. The main cost
difference I noticed was in meat and housing. Housing in Perth suburbs and rural
NSW/Victoria isn't too bad with around AUD$200,000 getting you a typical 4/5 bedroom
place. Meat is cheapish with eating a large T Bone with chips and veggies setting you
back about £7. I thought everything else was about the same price as in the UK. Jez

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >