British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How much money will you take (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-much-money-will-you-take-107552/)

Snickers Aug 30th 2002 1:30 pm

How much money will you take

I thought it might be interesting to have a poll on the subject of how much money people will take with them including any assetts but not including any pensions.

shaun/lor Aug 30th 2002 1:50 pm

Re: How much money will you take

could we have a higher scale range please.because there seems to be a lot of people on 120 plus. shaun.

pread Aug 30th 2002 1:51 pm

What about shares ? Or other investments ? Or is it just cash ?

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Snickers:
I thought it might be interesting to have a poll on the subject of how much money people will take with them,not including any pensions.

Snickers Aug 30th 2002 1:56 pm

Originally posted by pread:
What about shares ? Or other investments ? Or is it just cash ?

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul
Any assets it was just a starter but not pensions as thats too difficult to assess,

Shaun

Yea but Pread will have to do it as I can't edit it now (Moderators only)

Paul

pread Aug 30th 2002 2:52 pm

I've just increased the higher options in the poll - for those that originally voted 120,001 +, can you please vote again.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by shaun/lor:
could we have a higher scale range please.because there seems to be a lot of people on 120 plus. shaun.

Steve & Family Aug 30th 2002 3:02 pm

Hi Paul,

I can't re-vote as it says I have already taken part in this vote!

Cheers

Steve

baldbutts Aug 30th 2002 3:06 pm

Originally posted by pread:
I've just increased the higher options in the poll - for those that originally voted 120,001 +, can you please vote again.

Jesus H Corbett !!!!!
any of you guys taking £120K + single --I'm 6ft 4 ,short blond hair ,muscular & have a right hairy tusch
(at least 4 of the above descriptions are a lie)

Juls Aug 30th 2002 4:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by baldbutts:

Jesus H Corbett !!!!!
any of you guys taking £120K + single --I'm 6ft 4 ,short blond hair ,muscular & have a right hairy tusch
Jesus H Corbett X 2

me and Daz will have to do some bank robbin to take £120 +

Or do more hour's on the street corner (LOL) and that's just the rent boy in his leathers!!!

ywoods Aug 30th 2002 4:13 pm

If your 6'4" I bags you for miself.. but I am in the 0-0k bracket!!!! hahahahahahaha

Yvonne :)

15 :eek: days til we leave, 17 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by baldbutts:

Jesus H Corbett !!!!!

Vishal Aug 31st 2002 8:10 am

Hello,

By the way what should be considered as minimum amount (in A$) to be taken along ,
when reaching Australia.

Vishal

Snickers Aug 31st 2002 4:59 pm

Originally posted by Vishal:
Hello,

By the way what should be considered as minimum amount (in A$) to be taken along ,
when reaching Australia.

Vishal
As much as you have got what else

Paul

Jaj Aug 31st 2002 11:34 pm

You will need a lot of money to establish yourself in Australia.

To get an idea of what the cost might be, have a look at http://australianz.topcities.com/migrationcos-
t.htm

There is no welfare entitlement for the first two years, and you are expected to
support yourself and your family without any help from the government.

Jeremy

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:59:30 +0000, Snickers <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by Vishal:
    >> Hello,
    >> By the way what should be considered as minimum amount (in A$) to be taken along ,
    >> when reaching Australia.
    >> Vishal
    >As much as you have got what else
    >Paul
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Snickers Sep 1st 2002 3:38 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaj:
You will need a lot of money to establish yourself in Australia.

To get an idea of what the cost might be, have a look at http://australianz.topcities.com/migrationcos-
t.htm

There is no welfare entitlement for the first two years, and you are expected to
support yourself and your family without any help from the government.

Jeremy

Good point Jeremy

Just for clarity what would you consider "a lot of money to establish yourself" in OZ or NZ?

After looking at some of the voting on the poll is everyone aware of the self support position in OZ? as it is obvious after some of the comments on this NG that its not a get rich fix!
We were worrying about the amount we are able to take and if it would be enough to get us over any bad times and we are in the higher half of the voting poll and wonder how some might cope if they are taking what they have suggested on the poll!
Hope that nobody takes this the wrong way its just our observations and realise that everyones position is different.:lecture:

Don Dec 2nd 2002 5:44 pm

Snickers - that is a damn good question and depends a lot on the individuals concerned and their expectations. We (the wife and I) have worked hard and saved hard and therefore in a better position financially than some other poll respondents - and quite possibly would not have wished to emigrate to NZ if that were not so, ie if we didn't have those savings. We know already we're very unlikely to get similar paying jobs in NZ but the old buffer zone of savings gives us a bit of comfort, and allows us to judge that lifestyle improvements in lots of other ways will (we hope) compensate for lower paid jobs.

Cheers - Don