Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money should I bring to Australia?

How much money should I bring to Australia?

Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Janaka is on a distinguished road
Default How much money should I bring to Australia?

Hello, I am curious how much money I should bring with me to Australia if I go on a PR visa
I have relative in Adelaide who has offered accommodation for awhile.
Regards
Janaka

Last edited by Janaka; Jul 9th 2009 at 6:26 am.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:32 am
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money should I bring to Australia?

Originally Posted by Janaka
Hello, I am curious how much money I should bring with me to Australia if I go on a PR visa

Regards
Janaka
If you are counting me in then you need to bring a lot of $$$$$$$$$$. lol

Mate, it all depends on your plans, way of living, job and luck. May be 20K Aus $ for one person are enough for 5 months but may be 20K $ are spent by another in one month. So, its a relative term. They say that success and money are relative terms; they bring so many relatives.

Sorry, I did not ans your query properly but could not stop me writing above comments. Some one else; please respond to Janaka.

Regards,
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:39 am
Just Joined

jeev is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i agreed with mukesam. still, i also interested to know an average initial expense for a family of 4 to start a life in oz.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

We went through an enormous amount in the 1st few mths, you definately need a car IMO, rental money & bond, kids uniforms, school fees, tax on this & tax on that, little bits for house eg crockery, kettle, anything you need until your shippment arrives, its never ending really, if you stick to what you need and not what you want you can keep the cost low as poss, we must spent at least $25,000 in the 1st 3 mths.

Bluekipper
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

CatWithClaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help with how much to bring, sorry, because it varies so much from one family to another. What I do find though is that Christmas is always such an expensive time of year here - not only are there the usual Christmas costs (pressies, food etc) but you also have any summer holiday costs at the same time, plus school fees, sports club fees, uniforms, stationery, all due in those same few months! Thank goodness the beaches are free!! It was a bit of a shock to start with, I must admit, when I was used to having Christmas, then a few months to recover before Summer holidays, then a couple of months to recover before school costs, etc etc! Now they just throw everything at me in one fell swoop and the credit card has to take a bit of a pounding!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Janaka
All you have really. Peoples values are different. Some have brought nothing and others large sums.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Janaka
All of it.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Janaka
Do you reckon you'll be chipping in with the household expenses while the rellies put up with you? If so, do consider that in the final amount of moolah you'll be carting over .
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bluekipper
We went through an enormous amount in the 1st few mths, you definately need a car IMO, rental money & bond, kids uniforms, school fees, tax on this & tax on that, little bits for house eg crockery, kettle, anything you need until your shippment arrives, its never ending really, if you stick to what you need and not what you want you can keep the cost low as poss, we must spent at least $25,000 in the 1st 3 mths.

Bluekipper
I have 2 kids (9 and 6) what are the school fees - are state schools not free? Sorry not looked into this yet
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
I have 2 kids (9 and 6) what are the school fees - are state schools not free? Sorry not looked into this yet
About a third of all kids in Australia go to Private schools, so it is something that many people consider as a possible cost.

State schools are basically free, but with certain small expenses. It may be about $100 to $400 per year, excluding uniforms, for stationery and other incidental costs. Maybe more in Senior schools if you add on extra activities.

Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Regards
Janaka
Enough to sustain for the first 6 months without a job.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Enough to sustain for the first 6 months without a job.
2 years money without a job plus morgage free. I have put in place £80,000 for the first two years without a job but if I start working straight away this will not be touched. Once house sells which I will rent out till uk prices increase hence two years money of £80,000.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eugene43
2 years money without a job plus morgage free. I have put in place £80,000 for the first two years without a job but if I start working straight away this will not be touched. Once house sells which I will rent out till uk prices increase hence two years money of £80,000.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Regards
Janaka
Hi janaka,
Are you single or with a family ?
assuming worst case scenario , family with two kids, like me, I've done some research and found out I need approximately 40k per year, bulk of this will go into house rent ( 24k ) please not this was based on my way of living ( tight budget ), public transport, public school ect.
In your case, I see you have a opportunity of free accommodation, that a quite a lot of saving,
I have read some couples have started their oz adventure with low as 5k.
If you are lucky to get a decent pay job as soon, maybe with the offer of free accommodation you should be able to manage, with 15k, on top of this you will need money for oneway air ticket, shipping of household goods, ect ect,
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:58 pm

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

If its any help as a guide, i came here alittle over 9 months ago with $23000 on my own, have blown some on things like rental bond, car, trailer, motocross bike, 50" plasma, beer lol and still have about $10000 left in the bank.
I think its all down to how quickly you get work, i only had to eat into the savings for one month before getting full time work.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.