Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money did you take to Oz?

How much money did you take to Oz?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Default Re: How much money did you take to Oz?

Originally Posted by Lee and Tracy
I know this is a very open ended question as we all have our individual tastes and standards of living but we'd like to know how much money people aim to have in the bank when starting your new life down under?

The reason I ask is it's likely we will have around £20,000 and wonder if this will be enough to get us started with house rental, car, other costs etc when we finally (hopefully) arrive in South Australia.

I appreciate it all depends on how long it takes to get a job but was curious to know if people are taking more or less money to start their new lives.

BTW, we are a family of three, two adults in their 30's and a 15 month old son.
Hi,

We arrived in Oz with $1000!!! We had sold a house in France for $37000 but were waiting for the money to transfer so had a scary few weeks waiting for that to arrive. Luckily we had family to stay with for the first 3 weeks.

Once the money arrived we bought a car, paid a bond on a house and furniture to get us by until ours arrived. The rest we left in a high interest account to use as deposit on a house purchase. We rented a house for 6 months before buying in a cheap area (Cranbourne, Vic) to get us on the ladder.

My husband found work (he's a mechanic) within 4 weeks and as permanent residents we were entitled to Family benefit and rent assistance so were quickly settled. Two years on we have just sold our house for a tidy profit (amazing as house prices are dropping) and are now moving to our dream house. We have a 2 year old and a three month old. Hubbie works full time and i work 2 days a week. All is rosy in the land of Oz.

So in my opinion 20000GBP is perfect!!! Good luck.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnknight001
how exactley do you reckon less than 100000 aus dollars is irresponsible, that is almost two years wages to some people,
john
It's over two years wages for a lot of others. Everyone lives differently, it's impossible to quantify what is an ideal amount.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

We're leaving for Sydney in 5 weeks (2 adults) and will be taking roughly $45k. Granted, I already have a job to go to but we will only be taking 40kg of luggage each so everything will be bought on arrival.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

naylam will become famous soon enough

To me 45k sounds ok..you have enough for the bond, white goods (if you arn't bringing them over), brown goods..same. Cars can be bought cheaply second hand for the time being as long as you arn't choosey so you should be ok til the wages are sorted out and on a regular income stream.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:30 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoo
Hello...I'm intrigued as to how all of the people who replied to this thread last year are getting on now?
I thought we were emigrating with nothing (when I say nothing, I mean $60,000....but I honestly thought that was 'nothing' until I read this thread!) and I've been getting myself VERY worked up about it! I'm so pleased that I found this thread and I can see that people really HAVE gone with NOTHING and are gettting along nicely! (Although we don't have jobs lined up so that will eat into the money we do have if we are not careful!)
So if any of these people are still using this forum it would be nice for an update!
Cheers, Lisa,xx
I'm one of the ones that came with naff all....$2000, out of that we bought a car and had not much else. We had relatives to stay with but did have to contribute towards the household even though to start with it was just the odd bit of food. It was scary, more because we didn't want our daughter (who was 4 back then) being affected by lack of money. She had lots of trips tp the park as we could afford nothing else. Our furniture and dog was shipped over from England, the dog had to go to my sister in laws til we got a place which was hard as there was a 2 hour drive between us and my furniture ended up here, there and everywhere. I got a job fairly easily, hubby got a job but had an accident so lost his job and took a while for him to get another. The first 9 months were really really hard however I would do it all again to be here. If nothing else, it made us a stronger family unit. We now own our own house, I've got a family day care business I run from home and Steve has just set up a security firm, which took longer than we'd of liked to get going but he's finally got his first foot on the ladder. Love it here, would love to go to England for holiday but nothing more.
Marie
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
I'm one of the ones that came with naff all....$2000, out of that we bought a car and had not much else. We had relatives to stay with but did have to contribute towards the household even though to start with it was just the odd bit of food. It was scary, more because we didn't want our daughter (who was 4 back then) being affected by lack of money. She had lots of trips tp the park as we could afford nothing else. Our furniture and dog was shipped over from England, the dog had to go to my sister in laws til we got a place which was hard as there was a 2 hour drive between us and my furniture ended up here, there and everywhere. I got a job fairly easily, hubby got a job but had an accident so lost his job and took a while for him to get another. The first 9 months were really really hard however I would do it all again to be here. If nothing else, it made us a stronger family unit. We now own our own house, I've got a family day care business I run from home and Steve has just set up a security firm, which took longer than we'd of liked to get going but he's finally got his first foot on the ladder. Love it here, would love to go to England for holiday but nothing more.
Marie
Well done!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

my partner and i arrived with $8500 back in 2003
luckily we had friends in sydney so had a month on there sofa bed rent free.
no work lined up and qualification/registrations not in place to work straight away
spent 5 grand on a car, $1200 on surfboards and in full holiday mode catching up with our friends eating out, pubs n clubs etc.down to $500 by end of month
i registered with an employment agency and got a factory job within a week ,seemed to be a lot of low paid work on the northen beaches at that time
we rented the cheapest one bedroom granny flat we could find and once my partners nursing registration came through she also found work, six months later bank account was up to $15000...........so easy we decided to do it again

we spent 2006-07 back in the uk to have a baby...
returned to australia in march 08 to a new area with $10000 no jobs , accommodation or friends to stay with this time and a 1 year old baby..bit more stress
2 weeks holiday accommodation, 1 week car hire
in that time we sorted a permanent rental out bought a car and had our stuff from storage in sydney shiped up to north nsw and spent $1000 in super amart (cheap furniture)
partner working casual/agency by end of month and help from centerlink with rent assistance and parenting payment made things easier this time around.

so it can be done on the cheap, lot more of a worry with kids .
i also think alot depends on your jobs and area you are going
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:26 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Well done!
Thanks,

It's coming on for 4 years now and although life would've been alot easier with more money, it just wasn't possible.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:31 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

spent 20k on the second hand car!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oz miller man
my partner and i arrived with $8500 back in 2003
luckily we had friends in sydney so had a month on there sofa bed rent free.
no work lined up and qualification/registrations not in place to work straight away
spent 5 grand on a car, $1200 on surfboards and in full holiday mode catching up with our friends eating out, pubs n clubs etc.down to $500 by end of month
i registered with an employment agency and got a factory job within a week ,seemed to be a lot of low paid work on the northen beaches at that time
we rented the cheapest one bedroom granny flat we could find and once my partners nursing registration came through she also found work, six months later bank account was up to $15000...........so easy we decided to do it again

we spent 2006-07 back in the uk to have a baby...
returned to australia in march 08 to a new area with $10000 no jobs , accommodation or friends to stay with this time and a 1 year old baby..bit more stress
2 weeks holiday accommodation, 1 week car hire
in that time we sorted a permanent rental out bought a car and had our stuff from storage in sydney shiped up to north nsw and spent $1000 in super amart (cheap furniture)
partner working casual/agency by end of month and help from centerlink with rent assistance and parenting payment made things easier this time around.

so it can be done on the cheap, lot more of a worry with kids .
i also think alot depends on your jobs and area you are going
Thanks for the reply to my resurection of this thread. It is refreshing to hear of people who came with not very much, some not even jobs (and I know the job market is very different now) but have succeeded! I'm trying not to worry about not having work lined up, but like I've said before 'Just HOW LONG do we wait for the job market to bounce back?'...we don't want to be sat here in 2 years still saying 'shall we go now...or wait a bit longer!'

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie
Congratulations Marie...I can't see as far as actually owning our own house. We have just sold our house here after 3yrs and with only $90,000 equity (which believe me will only be $60,000 after we've paid out for flights, dogs, shipping etc.)....and this will have to support us 'til Paul gets work! BUT on the other hand...we feel lucky because some people can't sell and when they do, they have negitive equity! Also, we have our VISA! I believe it's not going to be so 'easy' (haha..easy my bum!)to apply in future! BUT I do feel a bit more optimistic seeing some of these posts!

Well done to everyone! Keep the post coming! Lisa,xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by snoo; Mar 26th 2009 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

nixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nice

Originally Posted by naylam
To me 45k sounds ok..you have enough for the bond, white goods (if you arn't bringing them over), brown goods..same. Cars can be bought cheaply second hand for the time being as long as you arn't choosey so you should be ok til the wages are sorted out and on a regular income stream.
oh dear am a wee bit worried now!we will be coming over with about $9000 but i will have a job to go to though. have got 3 kids mind so am i being irresponsible? i do worry about this
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nixster
oh dear am a wee bit worried now!we will be coming over with about $9000 but i will have a job to go to though. have got 3 kids mind so am i being irresponsible? i do worry about this
Hey Nixster

That's four and half times more than the guy with 2000 had and he managed.

Paddy
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:47 pm
GC family day carer

[QUOTE=fairwayskid;7650007]Hey Nixster

Paddy[/QUOTE

and bear in mind we also have children
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=68MEVY;7650030]
Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey Nixster

Paddy[/QUOTE

and bear in mind we also have children
Fair play

Dont know how you managed but i take my hat off to you. Suppose if you want something bad enough you will find a way.

Paddy
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:21 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Best I just admit I am irresponsible right now and call social services on arrival.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.