Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money did you take to Oz?

How much money did you take to Oz?

Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Lee and Tracy will become famous soon enoughLee and Tracy will become famous soon enough
Default How much money did you take to Oz?

I know this is a very open ended question as we all have our individual tastes and standards of living but we'd like to know how much money people aim to have in the bank when starting your new life down under?

The reason I ask is it's likely we will have around £20,000 and wonder if this will be enough to get us started with house rental, car, other costs etc when we finally (hopefully) arrive in South Australia.

I appreciate it all depends on how long it takes to get a job but was curious to know if people are taking more or less money to start their new lives.

BTW, we are a family of three, two adults in their 30's and a 15 month old son.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:34 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money did you take to Oz?

Some go with as little as a few grand some take lots more...there was a post aaaaaaages ago about someone that went with very little..it was a struggle to begin with but they made it
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

we,ve just transfered £18,000.friends of ours are flying out sunday and have £5000.don,t know how there going to manage though as they have 12 boxes of belongings and nothing else and are going to buy all new when there settledthough they have found a cheap 4 bed rental in redcliffe
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:40 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Found that thread here ya go...Click
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Before we left the UK, we transferred £2000 into our ANZ account - worked out as about $4650 at the time. It was some of the money my brother had paid me for my car.

We used the bulk of it for setting up in our new rental - mainly the bond ($1980) and the first few weeks rent. We also spent about $500 getting ourselves mobile phones but then a lot on phone credit (as the serviced apartment work had provided had no phone line!).

We carried on using our UK credit cards for things like furniture etc and paid off the minimums each month (we were on 0% deals with them, handily enough) and then paid them off in full once our house sold 3 months later.

Edited to add: although we brought a lot of stuff with us, many of our white goods (fridge, freezer, washing machine) ended up with siblings. Was a bit miffed at the time that not one of them offered a penny towards them but at the time wasn't really thinking and hadn't really realised that getting rid of my UK fridge was one thing... but I would need money to buy a new one in Oz - d'oh!

Last edited by TillyG; Sep 10th 2008 at 11:09 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
Was a bit miffed at the time that not one of them offered a penny towards them but at the time wasn't really thinking and hadn't really realised that getting rid of my UK fridge was one thing... but I would need money to buy a new one in Oz - d'oh!
Did the same thing. Amongst other things I gave away a lovely 32" Sony TV to my father-in-law and to this day I have no idea why. I think we all go a bit mad during that emigration process.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
Did the same thing. Amongst other things I gave away a lovely 32" Sony TV to my father-in-law and to this day I have no idea why. I think we all go a bit mad during that emigration process.
Phew, thought it was just me Our emigration was a bit of a whirlwind - we were out here less than 4 months after DH's mate phoned up to say "hey, fancy working in Sydney then?", none of this "let's plan and dream about it for 10 years first" for us LOL
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
Phew, thought it was just me Our emigration was a bit of a whirlwind - we were out here less than 4 months after DH's mate phoned up to say "hey, fancy working in Sydney then?", none of this "let's plan and dream about it for 10 years first" for us LOL
Yea, we didn't muck about much either. Think it was about six months from decision to arrival.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:04 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee and Tracy
I know this is a very open ended question as we all have our individual tastes and standards of living but we'd like to know how much money people aim to have in the bank when starting your new life down under?

The reason I ask is it's likely we will have around £20,000 and wonder if this will be enough to get us started with house rental, car, other costs etc when we finally (hopefully) arrive in South Australia.

I appreciate it all depends on how long it takes to get a job but was curious to know if people are taking more or less money to start their new lives.

When we came over we were a family of 3 and we came with $2000 (which bought a car and not much else) debt in the UK, but thankfully we had relatives here that we stayed with when we landed.

Marie
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lee and Tracy

We came with the profits from the sale of our house. It was quite alot and it has all gone now. But we bought a house, 2 cars, furniture etc...i wish we hadn't done things this way thinking about it. The more you have, the more you spend.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

I went with a job lined up and as a single bloke. I brought 3k pounds with me and could have easily got by with 2k. You get paid here every 2 weeks instead of 4 which makes it easier
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I went with a job lined up and as a single bloke. I brought 3k pounds with me and could have easily got by with 2k. You get paid here every 2 weeks instead of 4 which makes it easier
We get paid every 4, so it depends on the job
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555
We get paid every 4, so it depends on the job
Yep I have had jobs here and in Ireland that pay weekly, fortnightly and monthly, It all depends on how the company prefers to do it.

One of my mates in Ireland had a special contract where he got paid half yearly! No idea how he managed to live that way!

Thank god I’m on fortnightly now, the monthly one is horrible!

Mikey
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

And some jobs pay twice-monthly, rather than fortnightly. My DH gets paid on the 15th and the last day of the month. But we pay rent fortnightly... so 24 x pay packets but 26 x rent - makes budgetting fun LOL
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Yep I have had jobs here and in Ireland that pay weekly, fortnightly and monthly, It all depends on how the company prefers to do it.

One of my mates in Ireland had a special contract where he got paid half yearly! No idea how he managed to live that way!

Thank god I’m on fortnightly now, the monthly one is horrible!

Mikey
If you had enough money in the bank to start out with it'd be great. You'd have half a years pay earning interest.

I don't mind monthly at all. We always have enough to cover the next month in advance, so we usually earn a bit of interest from each deposit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.