Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

Old May 16th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice
Default Re: how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

Originally Posted by lou_pete
Are you taking all your furniture with you? We are planning on selling most of our stuff and restarting over. Do you think that might be a little hasty?
We are going to sell our furniture and buy there, for the amount of shipping it costs it will hopefully be worth doing it that way.
Money saved from shipping+sale of furniture adds up to quite an amount!
Old May 16th 2008, 6:48 am
Banned

Down Under and Loving It is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here 2 years. It was a shock at first as to how much things cost, some things same as UK some things cheaper. New cars are cheaper, second hand cars you can look around $15,000 for a small car but this will be about 5 years old.

When renting you will need to put a deposit down (usually 1 months rent) and if I believe right we had to pay another months rent or could have been 2 weeks. Get your tax file number sorted as soon as you arrive, since you will be taxed over 40% on savings and cant get it back until next financial tax years (end of June). Drivers licence will need sorting think this was about $150 for 5 years. Rego for car over $400 a year if its not already got it on.

We spent about $20,000 on furnishings when first arrived, still had small things to buy over years and still need bedroom furniture. When buying furnishings ask for a discount, if they say no say your going to another shop and walk away if need be, just compare prices and see who will give you the best (Good Guys always give discounts for cash, eftpos).

Schools (state) charge a yearly fee (about $40 per child) but dont forget you have to buy uniforms and stationary (1st year spent over $200 on stationary for 2 kids).

If you have pr get down to Centrelink and get registered since you will get something off them for kids and help with rent (not much though with rent but it all helps). Dont forget to register with Medicare when doing Centrelink.

Doctors (GP's) are free for kids but adults have to pay (about $60 per consult). Emergency Dept free but Hospital appointments you have to pay for, even for kids, then claim some back from Centrelink. You have to pay for all prescriptions (even kids) so always keep some money back just in case!

Bills will be a total shock - telephone every month, internet every month, electricity every 6 weeks, gas about every 2 to 2 1/2 months. It costs you to have the phone put on.

Cant think of anything else but if you want to ask go ahead.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future

we bought a grand car last time we were over for about $5,000 and sold it when we left for the same - other friends bought cheaper ones for travelling around... you may not even need a car yourself, I know in Sydney anyway the public transport is heaps better than here.... although that would not be too hard.,.... Best of luck to you...
Old May 16th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Aunt of mine who did several trips back and forth told me to always take everything with you down to the last teaspoon.....she learnt that after selling everything and re buying on her 1st trip...she always maintained it cost far more to re buy then to ship stuff.....We intend to take it all when we move back to UK......Did the sell and rebuy thing when I came here and took so long and cost so much to furnish etc
Old May 17th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Pat14 is on a distinguished road

Hi, everyone
Ive just read this post and sorry to butt in But i think that this is a great topic and thanks for the information. I would imagine that the amount of money you need might put a lot of people off going, but i suppose alot depends on what reasons you are going for. At least we have some idea on the general amount of what you are going to need to survive in oz.
Old May 17th 2008, 12:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We went with £7000.

No house to sell and still haven't got a car but managing just fine without one.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

plumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud of

Hi i agree great topic it is something we have been worried about especially with the house prices going down over here we can't decide whether to sell now or rent our house out until they start going back up again but if we rent we will only have about £10,000 to go to oz with decisions decisions!!!!

sue pete & six kids
Old May 17th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Down Under and Loving It
Been here 2 years. It was a shock at first as to how much things cost, some things same as UK some things cheaper. New cars are cheaper, second hand cars you can look around $15,000 for a small car but this will be about 5 years old.

When renting you will need to put a deposit down (usually 1 months rent) and if I believe right we had to pay another months rent or could have been 2 weeks. Get your tax file number sorted as soon as you arrive, since you will be taxed over 40% on savings and cant get it back until next financial tax years (end of June). Drivers licence will need sorting think this was about $150 for 5 years. Rego for car over $400 a year if its not already got it on.

We spent about $20,000 on furnishings when first arrived, still had small things to buy over years and still need bedroom furniture. When buying furnishings ask for a discount, if they say no say your going to another shop and walk away if need be, just compare prices and see who will give you the best (Good Guys always give discounts for cash, eftpos).

Schools (state) charge a yearly fee (about $40 per child) but dont forget you have to buy uniforms and stationary (1st year spent over $200 on stationary for 2 kids).

If you have pr get down to Centrelink and get registered since you will get something off them for kids and help with rent (not much though with rent but it all helps). Dont forget to register with Medicare when doing Centrelink.

Doctors (GP's) are free for kids but adults have to pay (about $60 per consult). Emergency Dept free but Hospital appointments you have to pay for, even for kids, then claim some back from Centrelink. You have to pay for all prescriptions (even kids) so always keep some money back just in case!

Bills will be a total shock - telephone every month, internet every month, electricity every 6 weeks, gas about every 2 to 2 1/2 months. It costs you to have the phone put on.

Cant think of anything else but if you want to ask go ahead.
Would be grateful if you could explain the 40% in savings thing???

thanks
Old May 17th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edie209
Would be grateful if you could explain the 40% in savings thing???

thanks
You don't lose 40% of your savings.
Any interest that your savings earn is taxable (as it's income).

If the bank has your Tax File Number you will get paid all that interest.

If the bank does not have your Tax File Number, they will withhold 46.5% (or thereabouts) of that interest and pay it to the Tax Office.

You will have to wait until the end of the Tax Year to claim it back.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for that,

eve
Old May 17th 2008, 6:08 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We went with £7000.

No house to sell and still haven't got a car but managing just fine without one.
Great news as we will be arriving with around that amount....or just under
Beth x x
Old May 17th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyC
You don't lose 40% of your savings.
Any interest that your savings earn is taxable (as it's income).

If the bank has your Tax File Number you will get paid all that interest.

If the bank does not have your Tax File Number, they will withhold 46.5% (or thereabouts) of that interest and pay it to the Tax Office.

You will have to wait until the end of the Tax Year to claim it back.
I opened an account in Oz when I validated my visa, transfered money out in readiness for my arrival (which was delayed) got hammered on tax on the interest (45%) & had to claim is back but could only do that when I had a tax file number!
Old May 17th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, we're looking at going out on a student visa next year. This alone is costing $22, then 2 boys school fees will cost $32 for 2 years, that's before we start!

We have around £125k equity in the house so this should be ok as a deposit on a place once we have PR???

Do you think this will be enough, we may need to eat into it though as both me and hubby can only work 20 hrs a week on a student visa!

Comments welcome!
Old May 17th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

Originally Posted by chilliman
I opened an account in Oz when I validated my visa, transfered money out in readiness for my arrival (which was delayed) got hammered on tax on the interest (45%) & had to claim is back but could only do that when I had a tax file number!
sorry to butt in but could i just ask..... we have transferred monies over already but never been to australia b4.
it is just a deposit account until we arrive and activate it so will we be paying 45% on the interest since its been in there then? as we wont get a TFN till we arrive in June.

thanks
kath x
Old May 18th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by strewth
I'm planning to emigrate from Ireland to the central coast of NSW with my husband and baby daughter next year. We will be down one income when we live there beacuse I will be a stay at home mum for a few years (I work full time here in Ireland and am currently on maternity leave) until kid(s) start school. My hubby is a nurse and we will have savings of about AU $90K when we go. Do those of you who have been in a similar situation think this is enough to get ourselves established? I really want to go but my husband is worried about the financial implications. Any advice greatly received. Thanks.
You are kidding right? You won't be able to afford the best butler with a paltry $90k but a cheap and nasty English au pair will help you through that difficult period of adjustment until you either win the Aus lottery or locate that perfect property at the tail-end of a rainbow.

lolcats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.