Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money can you take in with you?

How much money can you take in with you?

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough
Default How much money can you take in with you?

How much can you take before you need to declare it? What are the best banks and did you get charged alot if you transferred from say your UK HSBC account to an Oz account? Are you better opening an account here for an OZ bank account or is it relatively simple to do once there?

Many thanks

Fiona
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money can you take in with you?

Originally Posted by fiona021
How much can you take before you need to declare it? What are the best banks and did you get charged alot if you transferred from say your UK HSBC account to an Oz account? Are you better opening an account here for an OZ bank account or is it relatively simple to do once there?

Many thanks

Fiona
If you transfer more than $10,000 than the bank is bound by law to declare it to the govt, you don't need to do anything.
If you bring in $10,000 + in CASH then you need to declare it.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough

Cheers. WE're not loaded so sounds like we'll be okay.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

does this apply to bringing in $500,000's or more ? This is from our house sale.
Are we gonna get hammered for tax ?
Rob
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:05 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Question Re: How much money can you take in with you?

Originally Posted by robowen
does this apply to bringing in $500,000's or more ? This is from our house sale.
Rob
Errrmmmmmm' What TAX is that?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robowen
Rob
They only report it so the govt can keep an eye on large amounts coming in - in case of money laundering. They don't tax you on it.
Same with declaring the cash, if you waltz in with pockets stuffed with cash they might ask you where it came from.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They only report it so the govt can keep an eye on large amounts coming in - in case of money laundering. They don't tax you on it.
Same with declaring the cash, if you waltz in with pockets stuffed with cash they might ask you where it came from.
There is a tax on money that's brought in, when it's the profit from a housesale.

I think that it was Gedge who posted about it, maybe a year ago...cos I completely disagreed with him, and then discovered that I was wrong. I'm not very good at searching for posts - I'll see if I can find it.

The upshot was that as of an Australian legislative change 2 or 3 years ago, if you bring in/deposit in an Oz account proceeds from a housesale in the UK (don't know about other countries) then there IS a tax payable. Sounds rediculous I know.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:07 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
There is a tax on money that's brought in, when it's the profit from a housesale.

I think that it was Gedge who posted about it, maybe a year ago...cos I completely disagreed with him, and then discovered that I was wrong. I'm not very good at searching for posts - I'll see if I can find it.

The upshot was that as of an Australian legislative change 2 or 3 years ago, if you bring in/deposit in an Oz account proceeds from a housesale in the UK (don't know about other countries) then there IS a tax payable. Sounds rediculous I know.
don't think it was me, i don't remember it and a search only turns up this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4828482
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I'd be interested to hear more about this as I don't believe this is correct. My understanding is the only tax you are liable for is the difference in the exchange rate from when you arrive in Australia, and any interest the funds may have earned whilst in the UK (and subsequently in Australia). You are only taxed on income and capital gains - not your own money! We brought in 100% equity from our UK house sale - paid no tax.

Last edited by sassie; Jul 4th 2007 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
don't think it was me, i don't remember it and a search only turns up this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4828482
Hi Gedge

Hope I didnt offend you - I my memory isnt great these days LOL.

Here's the thread.....the OP (and others) will need to read through it all, as the yes/no/maybe/it depends changes a bit throughout the thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=tax+house
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:57 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi Gedge

Hope I didnt offend you - I my memory isnt great these days LOL.

Here's the thread.....the OP (and others) will need to read through it all, as the yes/no/maybe/it depends changes a bit throughout the thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=tax+house
no not at all, glad you found what you were looking for
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is completely wrong.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is completely wrong.
Not according to the link I posted above, which quoted the ATO.

Think that it has to do with having the proceeds of a UK sale left in the UK, moving to Oz, then bringing money over later into a bank account that you'd opened after a specific date. I was interested in this, as I thought that the whole thing was ludicrous and had no teeth.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:24 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my accountant last year and he said that as far as the ATO was concerned, they were not interested in what the money was derived from ie sale of house, flat etc, only the interest derived from Australian bank accounts. Now am very confused as to who is giving the wrong advice, ATO or accountant (from ATO sources).......
Old Jul 6th 2007, 5:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Not according to the link I posted above, which quoted the ATO.

Think that it has to do with having the proceeds of a UK sale left in the UK, moving to Oz, then bringing money over later into a bank account that you'd opened after a specific date. I was interested in this, as I thought that the whole thing was ludicrous and had no teeth.
No you dont pay tax on the proceeds of your house sale. However, if you sell your house, then move to Australia and then sit on the money in the UK, then you may be liable for tax on the interest that you earn since Australia taxes on worldwide income.

However, to suggest tax is payable on the capital gained from selling your primary home in the UK when moving to Australia is incorrect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.