Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money for 6 weeks?

Wikiposts

How much money for 6 weeks?

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:26 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile How much money for 6 weeks?

Myself and the wife are travelling the East Coast for 6 weeks, excluding the cost of car / campervan hire / accomodation (already taken care of), will £2000 be enough for that period of time? We're just after a rough guide of food / petrol costs etc.... any advice would be gratefully received.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:37 am
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice
Default Re: How much money for 6 weeks?

Originally Posted by dave7370
Myself and the wife are travelling the East Coast for 6 weeks, excluding the cost of car / campervan hire / accomodation (already taken care of), will £2000 be enough for that period of time? We're just after a rough guide of food / petrol costs etc.... any advice would be gratefully received.
Depends how much you like the amber necter!!!!!
I would say you have plenty....depending on how many trips you go on etc...

Enjoy and let us know where you go! We are doing it next year.

Top tip!! Go to Tangalooma resort on Moreton Island off Brisbane to see the wild dolphins>The film Scooby Doo was filmed there!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:37 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,
We (that is me, hubby and 3 teenage kids) spent 5 weeks in Oz last year taking in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. We spent 3 of those weeks in Brisbane staying with relatives so didn't have any accommodation to pay for (although we gave them some money towards our keep), and we prepaid motels in Mel and Syd. Had also prepaid car hire. We had to pay for all sightseeing trips, including a 3 day stay on Moreton Island (Brisbane) and the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, overnight motel stops while travelling between the cities, petrol, food and loads of prezzies to bring back for the family here, also souvenirs for ourselves. We spent £4000 which sounds a lot, but we were determined not to skimp on anything as it was a once in a lifetime holiday. (We took £6000 with us so it was nice to come back with a decent sum and that has paid for our visa ) Oh, and just remembered we also had to pay a fine 'cos hubby was done for speeding
So I reckon, with the main things already paid for, that £2000 should be plenty as there is just the 2 of you.
Have a great time.
Julie
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:52 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi Dave,
We (that is me, hubby and 3 teenage kids) spent 5 weeks in Oz last year taking in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. We spent 3 of those weeks in Brisbane staying with relatives so didn't have any accommodation to pay for (although we gave them some money towards our keep), and we prepaid motels in Mel and Syd. Had also prepaid car hire. We had to pay for all sightseeing trips, including a 3 day stay on Moreton Island (Brisbane) and the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, overnight motel stops while travelling between the cities, petrol, food and loads of prezzies to bring back for the family here, also souvenirs for ourselves. We spent £4000 which sounds a lot, but we were determined not to skimp on anything as it was a once in a lifetime holiday. (We took £6000 with us so it was nice to come back with a decent sum and that has paid for our visa ) Oh, and just remembered we also had to pay a fine 'cos hubby was done for speeding
So I reckon, with the main things already paid for, that £2000 should be plenty as there is just the 2 of you.
Have a great time.
Julie
Hi Julie,
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated. we want to make sure our honeymoon is as memorable as is possible but without bankrupting ourselves as we need cash for our main application to move there (where's a money tree when you need one?). We're doing roughly the same route as you and just can't wait to get there. Cheers, Dave
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:15 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Wow that should be enough for six weeks if your accom is already sorted!! My hubby and I did east coast for three months one year and spent £3K and we had to fork out for accomodatoin and everything in that. Exchange rate was about 2.7 at that time though and I'm low maintenance! We mostly stayed in hostels...they were fabulous...double rooms were great...better than some hotels i've stayed in in the UK!!! We also did everything like diving/skydiving/white water rafting etc etc on that too!!

You'll have a ball! *jealous*
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:50 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julie,
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated. we want to make sure our honeymoon is as memorable as is possible but without bankrupting ourselves as we need cash for our main application to move there (where's a money tree when you need one?). We're doing roughly the same route as you and just can't wait to get there. Cheers, Dave
I was gonna offer to come with you and carry your bags, but then I remembered that it's your honeymoon so maybe not.........
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:42 am
Ping-ponging Pom

Smile Re: How much money for 6 weeks?

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
I was gonna offer to come with you and carry your bags, but then I remembered that it's your honeymoon so maybe not.........
lol..... errr.... yeah.... could be kinda awkward..... thanks for the offer.... and if the wife changes her mind I'll know where to come.