Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Much Import Duty Have You Been Charged For Shipping Your Stuff Over To Oz?

How Much Import Duty Have You Been Charged For Shipping Your Stuff Over To Oz?

Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:43 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default How Much Import Duty Have You Been Charged For Shipping Your Stuff Over To Oz?

HI THERE,

Just packing up my books, cd's, hi-fi, computer and monitor to the shipping company Voovit's boxes for our move next month to Australia. Voovit says you need to write out a customs declaration form to go with each box saying whats in there and how much the items are worth. I taking 100CD's each worth about £10 each, stereo worth £300, computer worth £800 and assorted clothes and shoes worth about £200 - so about £2000 worth of belongs between us. What sort of import duty are we looking at? If its high I guess we might be better off taking the older items to a charity shop or selling on Ebay and rebuying stuff over in Melbourne. Any advice would be useful please! Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You should only get charged on stuff less than 12 months old.
If the rest of it is all personal possessions you don't have to pay tax on it.