Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much for a free standing Air Con?

How much for a free standing Air Con?

Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:09 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much for a free standing Air Con?

Hi guys

Well I've got a very good friend in Oz who has viewed a property for us which has everything that we want apart from Air Con.

I was wondering what sort of costs we'd be looking at to buy (or rent maybe??) a free standing air con unit? Are they any good????

If I have to look for another property I'll be gutted - please tell me I can fix this??!!!!!!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How much for a free standing Air Con?

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi guys

Well I've got a very good friend in Oz who has viewed a property for us which has everything that we want apart from Air Con.

I was wondering what sort of costs we'd be looking at to buy (or rent maybe??) a free standing air con unit? Are they any good????

If I have to look for another property I'll be gutted - please tell me I can fix this??!!!!!!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
You are looking at about $1000 for a 3.5kw portable unit.

Look at www.thegoodguys.com.au and use post code 2759, (it's closeish to Richmond area)

That size would only really work on a smallish room, and Richmond can get pretty warm in Summer.

How long will you be renting there ?

Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:24 am
Just Joined

jones74 will become famous soon enoughjones74 will become famous soon enough

depends were you are heading wether you will need it or not; we have had ours on 4 times this summer, you can get buy with fans. I would not buy or rent a house till you get here though or you may find yourself in an area that isn't what you are looking for or maybe too far from your place of work.

Good luck

Last edited by jones74; Mar 9th 2006 at 8:26 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:40 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You are looking at about $1000 for a 3.5kw portable unit.

Look at www.thegoodguys.com.au and use post code 2759, (it's closeish to Richmond area)

That size would only really work on a smallish room, and Richmond can get pretty warm in Summer.

How long will you be renting there ?
Hi ABC

Thanks very much for the link - I'll check it out now.

We'll be renting permanently I think. We're letting our UK property and at the moment I can't imagine that we'll ever be able to afford to buy in OZ. The contract for the property would be on a 6 monthly basis.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jones74
depends were you are heading wether you will need it or not; we have had ours on 4 times this summer, you can get buy with fans. I would not buy or rent a house till you get here though or you may find yourself in an area that isn't what you are looking for or maybe too far from your place of work.

Good luck
Hi

Thanks for the reply. We're headed to Richmond, NSW which does get pretty hot as its about an hour away from the beaches. The friend whos looking at the house for us went out about 6 months ago and her husband is working at the same place my husband will be working - we're quite lucky in the fact that we've almost got a 'family' of friends out there even before we arrive. We wanted to be in cycling distance from work, walking distance from school, detached, 3 beds, 2 loos, double garage, modern etc etc etc and it is all of those things but doesn't have air con. The added bonus though is that it does have a communal pool and tennis court (for use by residents of the street only) plus its only $265 p/w.

If I can sort out the Air Con I will be landed!!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:46 am
ABCDiamond

Hi ABC

Thanks very much for the link - I'll check it out now.

We'll be renting permanently I think. We're letting our UK property and at the moment I can't imagine that we'll ever be able to afford to buy in OZ. The contract for the property would be on a 6 monthly basis.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Does your friend live in the same area ? Can they advise how they feel about the need for Air Con there ?

We lived in St Clair / Erskine park area for many years, and did find it got pretty hot in the house in the summer, also pretty cold in winter. We even had ice on the car windscreen once (about 2001, I think)

Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:50 am

We even had ice on the car windscreen once (about 2001, I think)
:scared:

Yes she's said that its pretty much a must to have it - I suppose as we're going across in Autumn (I think April is Autumn isnt it?) then we might be able to get away with it for a while? Or maybe get hold of one/some in the sales?? What do you think???? Are large free standing fans any good or do they just move around the hot air??

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:12 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hi guys

Cheers

Rach xxxx
We have a rental without aircon and it can get unbearable. I would definitely not rent a house again without it. I am looking into getting a freestanding one as well, but my neighbour reckons it will be a total waste of money because they're useless!?

Rachel
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Welshie
We have a rental without aircon and it can get unbearable. I would definitely not rent a house again without it. I am looking into getting a freestanding one as well, but my neighbour reckons it will be a total waste of money because they're useless!?

Rachel

Oh no - thats not what I wanted to hear!!!!

Gutted

Rach xxxx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:20 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hiya i am in glenwood which is in the hills district one thing i will say if you can get house with aircon go for it we have a house without aircon and we have been in oz 6 weeks (Service apartment had air con) and lived here for 2weeks and i have found it very humid especially at night we have an air cooler/humidifier/ioniser that cost us $179 from bing lee which we have in the bedroom at night and we have a floor fan in the lounge but when it gets really warm i end up practically sitting in front of it for example today has been very humid and i wish we lived in a house with air con.

poshrice
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:40 am

Oh no - thats not what I wanted to hear!!!!

Gutted

Rach xxxx

Ok - heres the predicament then - there are only three of us (me, hubby and little girl) - should we opt for a house on the same street which has air con but only two bedrooms????? Ideally we wanted to have a guest/office room?

I think I've answered this myself really - I want three rooms - Oh god I'm really gutted now - I WANT THAT HOUSE!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:42 am
ABCDiamond

Those air coolers at the $150/$200 price range are not worth it. We tried one years ago, and said never again.

The $1,000 portable air conditioners ? Never tried one, but am not sure about them, and would be reluctant to buy one myself. I would want to be in a room with one in action before I was sure.

Due to the time you arrive you should be OK for the first few months. Then you could discuss it with the landlord ? Maybe they install it and you pay a bit extra towards it weekly ?

We had a 9kw one installed recently; $999 for the unit and $600 to install. BUT.. this may or may not work for the whole house. In our current house we have 3 air con units.

Worst case; you could install it, then remove it when you leave, and put the wall back to it's original condition ? ??

Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:48 am

Those air coolers at the $150/$200 price range are not worth it. We tried one years ago, and said never again.

The $1,000 portable air conditioners ? Never tried one, but am not sure about them, and would be reluctant to buy one myself. I would want to be in a room with one in action before I was sure.

Due to the time you arrive you should be OK for the first few months. Then you could discuss it with the landlord ? Maybe they install it and you pay a bit extra towards it weekly ?

We had a 9kw one installed recently; $999 for the unit and $600 to install. BUT.. this may or may not work for the whole house. In our current house we have 3 air con units.

Worst case; you could install it, then remove it when you leave, and put the wall back to it's original condition ? ??
Cheers ABC - some great ideas there!

I think I'll get my friend to speak to the estate agents to see if they would get one installed if we were to pay some towards it and perhaps increase the rent to $300 - I'd be more than happy to do that. i suppose at the end of the day if its a 6 month lease April to Oct shouldnt be too bad should it????
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

Cheers ABC - some great ideas there!

I think I'll get my friend to speak to the estate agents to see if they would get one installed if we were to pay some towards it and perhaps increase the rent to $300 - I'd be more than happy to do that. i suppose at the end of the day if its a 6 month lease April to Oct shouldnt be too bad should it????
How much was the original rent ? Don't pay too much

As a landlord, I would cost it at about $2,000, and apportion it over 3 years, and expect about an extra $15pw back in rent. After 3 years I keep getting paid, but then incur any repair costs to it.

Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:00 am

How much was the original rent ? Don't pay too much

As a landlord, I would cost it at about $2,000, and apportion it over 3 years, and expect about an extra $15pw back in rent. After 3 years I keep getting paid, but then incur any repair costs to it.
Rent at the moment is $265 - so do you think I should offer $280/$285?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.