Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 3:33 pm
toni

tonihaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

my family and i are hoping to go on a sponsored visa and will be taking just enough for a few months rent and thats it as we want to start afresh does anyone know how long it takes and what are the procedures ?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

have a look at this thread but beware you might get lambasted for daring to talk about money

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ow+much+equity
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:57 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
Hi All,

My OH and I are looking to submit an application for PR in October of this year and have just started looking into the total costing that a move to Aussie would incur.

In terms of equity we will have around £100-110k (house sale dependant) and both have decent paid jobs over here in the UK. OH is a Midwife (£24k), I am a Senior Cisco Network Engineer (£34k) We are looking to move to Brisbane and i looking at spending around £200k on a house. Is this a realistic amount to be taking given that you have got to pay out circa £30k moving costs (flights, conveyancing fees here, Visa's, taking the cat!)

The vibes that we are getting is that you get demoted to the bottom of the career ladder when you get there as Aussies get preferential treatment when doling out the jobs, is this right? Why demote staff who have proven track records when they can be an asset to your business, is it so that they can get experienced staff but pay them peanuts? Is it all worth it
I love my job here and am only likely to move up the ladder if we stay put but the UK just does not cut it for us anymore. We just want to give our kids and ourselves a better chance in life but are starting to think that it might prove to costly once you have factored everything in.

Anybody out there who had similiar thoughts prior to making the leap.

Thanks

Ste&Dawn
Mate, we're going with the shirts on our backs and about £5K in cash.........stop worrying! You'll have more money than you'll need!!!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:00 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I did live on the Sunshine Coast for 5 months a few years back But alas, I suspect that there isn't many jobs up there.
It's DOWN
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonihaz
my family and i are hoping to go on a sponsored visa and will be taking just enough for a few months rent and thats it as we want to start afresh does anyone know how long it takes and what are the procedures ?
Hi Tonihaz,

Sorri, cant really help you out with your question asdon't know much about sponsored visas. Try looking/posting this again, but on the immigration forum as I'm sure there will be someone out there that can help. Good luck!!

Ste & Dawn:
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by h1tvd
have a look at this thread but beware you might get lambasted for daring to talk about money

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ow+much+equity

Thanks for info!

I see what you mean, makes interesting reading though. Our intention was not to offend just trying to think things out.

Ste & Dawn
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Mate, we're going with the shirts on our backs and about £5K in cash.........stop worrying! You'll have more money than you'll need!!!
We are shamed.....

hope you get out there soon and good luck!!!

Ste & Dawn
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future

Hi All,

My OH and I are looking to submit an application for PR in October of this year and have just started looking into the total costing that a move to Aussie would incur.

In terms of equity we will have around £100-110k (house sale dependant) and both have decent paid jobs over here in the UK. OH is a Midwife (£24k), I am a Senior Cisco Network Engineer (£34k) We are looking to move to Brisbane and i looking at spending around £200k on a house. Is this a realistic amount to be taking given that you have got to pay out circa £30k moving costs (flights, conveyancing fees here, Visa's, taking the cat!)

The vibes that we are getting is that you get demoted to the bottom of the career ladder when you get there as Aussies get preferential treatment when doling out the jobs, is this right? Why demote staff who have proven track records when they can be an asset to your business, is it so that they can get experienced staff but pay them peanuts? Is it all worth it
I love my job here and am only likely to move up the ladder if we stay put but the UK just does not cut it for us anymore. We just want to give our kids and ourselves a better chance in life but are starting to think that it might prove to costly once you have factored everything in.

Thanks

Ste&Dawn
In response to you saying about the aussies getting preferential treatment as far as a job is concerned. I think you have to start at the bottom and if you show you are quite capable of a better position it wont take long to move up the ladder, we have been working over here in business for the last 33 years and have seen people from the uk come over here and been very succesful after they have gained the local knowledge, we have also seen the other side of the coin when they have come over and thought they were superior and not willing to gain that local knowledge, I am sure it will not take you long to move up the ladder and prove your capabilites, just be patient and have the right attitude and you will go far as the opportunites are still out there, good luck Annie
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:22 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

We were brassic in the UK, now we are brassic here in Oz. But at least the sun is shining . Could not even think of buying (mortgaged up !) the house we now have back home, nothing special and needs a bit of TLC but it's big, detached and has a pool, which is a bonus with 3 kids under 12.

It is like starting from scratch when you get here, we had enough to cover the first 6 months and I got a job within the first 2 but be prepared for crap wages and high interest rates. Nothing is cheaper than the UK.......apart from property I guess.

We are on the southside of Brisbane near the Gateway, easy access to GC/SC/City/Bayside. Hope to see some of you at one of the meet ups in the near future.

PS: Any Java/Cobol/Delphi developers coming?

Last edited by Plug; Feb 6th 2007 at 11:44 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Probably Fortitude Valley/New Farm area, seems a lot of nice aparments arund there - not cheap at all but handy. There is no use trying to get anything yet as no-one is willing to hold anything for 3 weeks, so we are going to wait until the week before we go and try and secure something then.
Careful in The Valley and New Farm there is a lot of petty crime about there ... I had a friend that sold her apartment there because of the constant hassle and noise. That's the price you pay for living somewhere 'edgy' I guess ...

Of course, it's not ALL like that but she was searching a fair while for somewhere half-decent that wasn't plauged by blackmarket rental properties full of dodgy tenants or party animals.

Tread careful and be sure to visit your chosen area on a couple of Friday/Saturday nights before committing (not that it makes that much difference in The Valley from my experience).

Cheers,
Matt

On Topic Section (lest my post gets deleted ...)
I arrived with 20K pounds debt and seem to have survived without a huge wedge of cash
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi good luck to you and don't let what I say put you off as i'm still homesick after three months in brissie and pregnant!!

BUT, please don't believe the Down Under programmes. My friends have just been watching a new one and say people are saying Brisbane is really cheap?!!!! I'm only speaking from our experiences and our family, others find it brilliant and lovely here
but we find ourselves even more broke out here. We are prs and spent about 20k getting out here (got two under three kids and pets!). Things we wish we'd known before coming out (even if it sounds obvious are)

a) House prices have gone up in Brisbane, you'd have a hard job living mortgage free on 200k in a decent area and not miles out in the sticks or in some new town housing estate (sorry no offence) then you're going to need more - We're looking at 500-600 Aussie Dollars at least to get a decent house. As prs you qualify for child benefit over here but we are finding ourseles really struggling. Medicare is mostly free to prs but a trip to the docs still costs us about 20-30 quid even after we've claimed medicare costs back, havent' been to a dentist yet either! With two young kids it all adds up! We were better off financially in England. Our equity from our house is fast disappearing as we're paying a really high rent here at the moment (stupidly got signed in fo
r six months), and second hand cars are really expensive (just paid 6k for a corsa!)

B) Meat is cheaper here (doesn't count for me as am veggie!) but on the whole our food shops is just as expensive (although we have just found an aldi!) - and hubby on far less money There are only two big supermarkets over here and they ahve monopoly on stuff, hardly any home brands. Shocks for us is wine is expensive! Telstra is expensive (we had a great deal gas and electricity and phone with telewest and np power and our bills have rocketed here).

C)Don't discount the humidity and sunshine. Sunny sounds great but for us it's a struggle doing every day life in the heat with two young children. Just our experience and you may love it but I loved the sun before I came out and now I find it really hard. Sun cream is fairly expensive too (expected it cheaper!) even though we try and go for special offers. Plus have been freaked out by the number of skin cancer clinics everywhere.

Kids having a better life?? MMm. Yes there are superb parks and outdoor facilities swimming pools etc for kids but at 35 degrees and 80 per cent humidity you don't much fancy a trip to the park! (have to wait till after half four till it gets cooler!). Heat has made ours cranky and grumpy. Mainly stay in aircon, shopping malls or toddler groups! Think for us, ours would have a much better life in the UK. Apparently winter in brisbane lovely though you get the heat but then cool evenings....

School system here different. At home our three year old would qualify for free pre school place, five mornings a week > Here she won't qualify cos of hte new prep system and her birthday falling late in the year for free school till she's six! Daycare and kindy just as expensive as UK with huge waiting lists (Unless we're looking at the wrong places!)

D) The biggie - missing family and friends. Sounds daft but you really don't appreciate what you've got till they're on the other side of the world, even with skype and webcams etc.

E) Really stupid one here..... Brisbane is actually quite far from the aussie idea of a beach!! It takes us an hour and a half to drive to the sunshine coast and the lovely beaches there (even if you have a man made beach in town!).

And it always gets dark (unless someone to tell me different) at 6pm! so no light evenings out in the summer like in the UK!

Anyway don't shout at me everyone as I say I'm hormonal and these are just my experiences. I wish you good luck in everything you do and really hope you do what's right for your family and that it all works out for you xxx
(we've
Hi All,

Thanks

Ste&Dawn
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi The Murphsters

How did you manage to get yourself a job out there before you even get there! I had come to the conclusion based upon what i have read that it is nigh on impossible to secure yourself a job in IT unless you are actually resident in the country. Did you go through an agency? Any tips would be much appreciated

Ste&Dawn
I got myself a job before getting here (you need the job 1st on a 457 visa )
I'm in the Games industry, and used the web to look for postings on Oz web sites. There's also employment agencies, or just collecting company details and emailing them direct.

Dave x
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree on a lot of what liver bird says.

House prices are though the roof in Bris, $400-500K is basic. Mortgage interest is about 8% now. Renting is almost impossible near CBD. There's about 20 people going for each rental, with bidding wars, so we're going to buy regardless by putting some of our UK house money, about 100kGBP (we just jumped ship and let the estate agent in the UK deal with it!) as a deposit, and getting a mortgage of about $100k.

We're a lot poorer here, though coping. I took a pay cut to get a job out here, and my Wife's not working. Food can be cheap if you shop around. The Valley is unbeatable for oriental stuff (including fresh), The Northy St market has great deals on organic (seasonal) produce, There's a weigh your own place in Alderley, and there's plenty of non-Coles/Woolworths shops around. And out of the city, if you're lucky, you'll find (tropical) produce outside peoples houses!

We've also sat under the A/C for a while, but are looking forward to the winter, when it's a little cooler. We thought of it equivalent to UK winter, when we tried not to venture outside, just the wrong way around! (Not looking forward to the leccy bill though)

Not much choice with energy suppliers, though there's plenty of phone/internet companies competing for business.

Been getting dark about 6.30p here now, but of course there's no short winter days either. We'll be popping down to NSW soon to make the most of daylight saving there, and to enjoy a smoke and drink at the same time in a pub.

Oh, my Wife and I will be at the meet at the weekend in The Gap, see some of you there!

Dave x
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Geez we both feel like we are both on a bloody big rollercoaster at the moment. You read a positive post and get all fired up, then you a negative post and down you go! Obviously its no use thinking about commiting to such a huge move like this without being well informed and having your head up your backside ignoring all advice which is put you way thinking that life is going to be all fine and dandy. We are so at the mo.

The heat i think we can both cope with, bloody hell I have just had to scrape ice of the car this morning it's -5 in Manchester. It's more a case of we want to retain the sort of financial standing which we currently have here but have the laid back lifestyle and accessibility to the outdoor living which where we live in the UK is out of reach.

If only we could just be there now, 6 months in. Where's that magic wand gone!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:07 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Read the Anyone taken next to nothing thread and stop worrying

Loz x

Last edited by loz; Feb 7th 2007 at 10:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.