Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much is enough??

how much is enough??

Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default how much is enough??

we are hoping to go to townsville next august, we dont have a house to sell so all we will be taking are our savings.
Just wondered if people in the same position as us, have given this any thought and what advice you have etc. We have 3 kids (9.7 and 4).
we were thinking on lines of テつ」15,000 has anyone managed with less, if so was it a struggle etc?? love to hear your views.

Trish
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much is enough??

Can't help, but have seen a few threads on the topic already, so do a search. Though would have thought that wouldn't be easy unless you've got a job right off the bat, getting a place to stay, car, furniture etc, all mounts up pretty quick, but then it all depends on the lifestyle you want to lead out there as well
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't help, but have seen a few threads on the topic already, so do a search. Though would have thought that wouldn't be easy unless you've got a job right off the bat, getting a place to stay, car, furniture etc, all mounts up pretty quick, but then it all depends on the lifestyle you want to lead out there as well
already sorted with job for me ( nursing) and one in pipeline for jim (arctic lorry driver), i know its difficult to answer, will do a search again.
cheers
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Realistically...テつ」15000 is about テつ」36000. That's a years wages to many Aussies! I should think you'll get set up nicely with that. A house, a car...

You're going with way more than us. However, we both have jobs and I have family (mum and dad) that we're staying with. So we're not worrying too much at this stage.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Hi
I'm sure that you will be able to cope with whatever you bring as you live within your budget - whether that is テつ」15000, テつ」150000, etc. Just would say don't underestimate your 'start up' costs...all those bits and bobs that are in the container that you suddenly realise you can't live without - we used kmart a lot for kitchen stuff.
The only unbudgeted extra we have recently bought is a new hard drive to cope with all the pictures of our son that the rellies want!!!!!!
Susan
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ushas
Realistically...テつ」15000 is about テつ」36000. That's a years wages to many Aussies! I should think you'll get set up nicely with that. A house, a car...

You're going with way more than us. However, we both have jobs and I have family (mum and dad) that we're staying with. So we're not worrying too much at this stage.
yeh, i also have a job, and were pretty confident that jim will have work before we go out too. テつ」15000 is what we aim to take, we have 3 kids so thats added pressure. we hope to get a rental thats furnished or partly to keep initial expenses down.
when are you going and where?
Trish
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Hi
I'm sure that you will be able to cope with whatever you bring as you live within your budget - whether that is テつ」15000, テつ」150000, etc. Just would say don't underestimate your 'start up' costs...all those bits and bobs that are in the container that you suddenly realise you can't live without - we used kmart a lot for kitchen stuff.
The only unbudgeted extra we have recently bought is a new hard drive to cope with all the pictures of our son that the rellies want!!!!!!
Susan
its definately scarey when you look at the little things that need buying.. kettles, irons etc it all adds up. we are only planning on shipping small amount over, pics, toys etc, so hope to get furnishes or half furnished rental.
Trish
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimtrish
we are hoping to go to townsville next august, we dont have a house to sell so all we will be taking are our savings.
Just wondered if people in the same position as us, have given this any thought and what advice you have etc. We have 3 kids (9.7 and 4).
we were thinking on lines of テつ」15,000 has anyone managed with less, if so was it a struggle etc?? love to hear your views.

Trish
Hi Trish

If you find anymore threads (i've tried but can not find any)regarding this could you let me know, as i'm also very interested in this.

Thanks
Paula
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:21 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I did same post a few months ago...here is the thread!

Lucy
x

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243879
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paula 1
Hi Trish

If you find anymore threads (i've tried but can not find any)regarding this could you let me know, as i'm also very interested in this.

Thanks
Paula
hi paula, lucy has put a thread in which is really useful, also if you do a search under 'how much' theres quite a few on there.

hope this helps, will need to eat beans on toast til end of aug and kids will be sick of 'saving for oz' by then, but if we manage to save upwards of テつ」15000 then all the better.

Trish
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

hi paula, lucy has put a thread in which is really useful, also if you do a search under 'how much' theres quite a few on there.

hope this helps, will need to eat beans on toast til end of aug and kids will be sick of 'saving for oz' by then, but if we manage to save upwards of テつ」15000 then all the better.

Trish
I'll be going with practically nothing (except my books I hope), though of course my situation is in a state of flux at the mo' as I don't yet know whether Cas and I will be able to set up home together or more likely I'll be joining her later.

I'm sure 15k is plenty fro starting up in Aus so long as you're not looking to buy a big house with a pool from the outset.

Good luck in Townsville, I met some very nice birders there! (Townsville bird club)!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Trish
Hi Trish/lucy
Don't know what i did, but the search came up with nothing!!!! Thanks for the link to your past thread, was really helpful.
Thanks again
Paula
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'll be going with practically nothing (except my books I hope), though of course my situation is in a state of flux at the mo' as I don't yet know whether Cas and I will be able to set up home together or more likely I'll be joining her later.

I'm sure 15k is plenty fro starting up in Aus so long as you're not looking to buy a big house with a pool from the outset.

Good luck in Townsville, I met some very nice birders there! (Townsville bird club)!
hi tony, you must tell me all about townsville then, have you been? not too interested in the birds, although i love them, its the snakeys and iggies!!

cheers

Trish
Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:53 am
kingofcats2005

How long is a piece of string?
You live with what you have. You budget within your means
Cheers
Dave

LIVE YOUR DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

hi tony, you must tell me all about townsville then, have you been? not too interested in the birds, although i love them, its the snakeys and iggies!!

cheers

Trish
It's an interesting little town within a dry stretch of coastline between Cairns and Mackay. Not a lot goes on there though there is a rather nice central strip where folks stroll in the evenings, which is the time to be out and about there because it is the most infernally hot place during the day. Certainly the hottest place I've been to in Aus, though I haven't been to Darwin.

I met some very nice people there as I said, and I was only in town three days! So I guess if you put yourself out you'll do likewise. Plus it's a stones throw form the Great Barrier Reef which can't be bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.