Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much does private insurance cost per month?

How much does private insurance cost per month?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default How much does private insurance cost per month?

I hear that most people take out private insurance in Australia.

how much does it cost per month? I'm around 40 and my parents are like in their late 60's.

thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much does private insurance cost per month?

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I hear that most people take out private insurance in Australia.

how much does it cost per month? I'm around 40 and my parents are like in their late 60's.

thanks.
Are you talking health, car, home, travel or what?

If health insurance, it depends on what visa you're over here on. If you're on a 457 (and possibly other temporary visas) you will be limited in the choice you have. When we were on the 457, we paid $416 per month to IMAN (the "overseas visitors" arm of AHM) for family cover including obstetrics.

Now that we're PR, we pay c$180 per month for basic hospital cover + fairly high level "extras" with HCF. No obstetrics included as I've decided to just go through Medicare for this baby.

Your parents may have to take out separate cover - family cover normally only covers children under 18 (sometimes older, but def not 40!). As they're older, they may have more options.

There are a stack of health insurance providers - off the top of my head: Medibank, HCF, NIB, AHM. Google for I-Select as they're a bit like the confused.com version for Aussie health insurance
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by TillyG
Are you talking health, car, home, travel or what?

If health insurance, it depends on what visa you're over here on. If you're on a 457 (and possibly other temporary visas) you will be limited in the choice you have. When we were on the 457, we paid $416 per month to IMAN (the "overseas visitors" arm of AHM) for family cover including obstetrics.

Now that we're PR, we pay c$180 per month for basic hospital cover + fairly high level "extras" with HCF. No obstetrics included as I've decided to just go through Medicare for this baby.

Your parents may have to take out separate cover - family cover normally only covers children under 18 (sometimes older, but def not 40!). As they're older, they may have more options.

There are a stack of health insurance providers - off the top of my head: Medibank, HCF, NIB, AHM. Google for I-Select as they're a bit like the confused.com version for Aussie health insurance

Medical. actually we have Australian citizenship. They have medical insurance for both of them but it's costing them $1,200 per month. (we are currently living in the Bahamas).
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
Medical. actually we have Australian citizenship. They have medical insurance for both of them but it's costing them $1,200 per month. (we are currently living in the Bahamas).
OK, as Citizens, you should be fine to go with any of the mainstream providers. There may be "wait periods" to serve for some things (like complex dental - eg crowns, bridges). And some insurers may not cover pre-existing conditions.

As citizens, your best bet is to either look at the websites of the mainstream providers and try their online quote system or to look on i-select .
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

OK, as Citizens, you should be fine to go with any of the mainstream providers. There may be "wait periods" to serve for some things (like complex dental - eg crowns, bridges). And some insurers may not cover pre-existing conditions.

As citizens, your best bet is to either look at the websites of the mainstream providers and try their online quote system or to look on i-select .
cool thanks. will try that.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Also, you might want to budget to set aside a set amount each month towards "out of pocket" costs - for example, some GPs charge more than the Medicare fee so it might be worth bearing that in mind. Also, if you have extras cover for dental and optical, it's quite rare that the health insurance will cover 100% of the costs.

I put aside an extra $200 per month which would probably be a lot more than you'd need to budget.

Still a lot cheaper than what your folks are paying currently though!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Also, you might want to budget to set aside a set amount each month towards "out of pocket" costs - for example, some GPs charge more than the Medicare fee so it might be worth bearing that in mind. Also, if you have extras cover for dental and optical, it's quite rare that the health insurance will cover 100% of the costs.

I put aside an extra $200 per month which would probably be a lot more than you'd need to budget.

Still a lot cheaper than what your folks are paying currently though!
that's great thanks. I've forwarded them a link to one of the insurance online quote tool. yeah they are actually paying like $1,900AUD per month. they will be happy. plus I'm pretty sure Australian medical care is way better than here.

a friend of mines mother spent 2 weeks in hospital before she died and he got a bill for $180,000 u.s. his mother didn't have insurance.

Last edited by BeachBassist; Feb 28th 2009 at 1:25 am.