Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to travel by train in Melbourne?

How much does it cost to travel by train in Melbourne?

Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:46 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default How much does it cost to travel by train in Melbourne?

What would a weekly, monthly or yearly rail ticket cost for, say, Frankston to the CBD or Mordialloc to the CBD. Can't seem to find the right web-site where these fares are posted.

- CDM
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:06 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to travel by train in Melbourne?

It's cheap - about £80-90 per month depending on the types of ticket you're buying. Give me a while & I'll dig the link out for you

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

There you go - all the info you need is in there
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:13 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Frankston and Mordialloc to the CBD are the same price. Daily tickets are $10 return, however if you can travel early and arrive in the CBD by 7am, this reduces to $5 as the inward journey is free. These daily tickets include any travel on any form of public transport all day.

Sundays are $2.70 for unlimited travel.

Buzzy
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:41 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Frankston and Mordialloc to the CBD are the same price. Daily tickets are $10 return, however if you can travel early and arrive in the CBD by 7am, this reduces to $5 as the inward journey is free. These daily tickets include any travel on any form of public transport all day.

Buzzy
That's fantastic Buzzy, thank you
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Best value ,assuming you will be a regular user, are the monthly ($161) or weekly tickets ($47).

Cheers

Dave
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
Let's face it, with fuel prices, these fares are actually very cheap compared with some cities.

My monthly travel cost is 94 bucks.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:54 am
Da bing bing!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Let's face it, with fuel prices, these fares are actually very cheap compared with some cities.

My monthly travel cost is 94 bucks.
OH's monthly season ticket into London (a 40 minute commute) is £310 :curse:

Melbourne fares are a total bargain & we can't wait to have a bit of our hard-earned cash in our pockets for a change
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
OH's monthly season ticket into London (a 40 minute commute) is £310 :curse:

Melbourne fares are a total bargain & we can't wait to have a bit of our hard-earned cash in our pockets for a change
It would be more like 180bucks as I now take advantage of the Early Bird ticket and a lovely brisk walk into the CBD. But I earn 3times in unit terms what I earnt in the UK.

I didn't dare want to compare and contrast with London as a) I don't know the cost and b) didn't want to draw fire.

cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:59 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_woodsy
Best value ,assuming you will be a regular user, are the monthly ($161) or weekly tickets ($47).

Cheers

Dave
Correct. Zone1/2 monthly ticket for $161 for an easy fire n' forget item in your monthly budget.
Used to be a Zone3, but got abolished last year.

http://store.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:55 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the replies

My current travel costs into London (first class + car park ticket) for 1 month are just over £500. That's half my house rental

Is there a first class on the Frankston/CBD line?

- CDM
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:35 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
Are they still doing the "arrive before 7am" and travel free?

How did that work on the return journey?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:36 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Yes

Its a seat...... everyone else has to stand
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
I'm afraid its Cattle Class only.....
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:23 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CDM
Thanks for all the replies

My current travel costs into London (first class + car park ticket) for 1 month are just over £500. That's half my house rental

- CDM
Sorry 1st Class that just made me giggle! The service from Frankston is a good one hubby used it to get to work in the CBD but the trains are not like our commuter services in the UK. It is all the same standard and while there is plenty of seats they do get packed in peak services and plenty stand just like the commuters in the UK. There are no tables and there are no plug points for working on your laptop. There is also no wifi (correct me if this has changed in the last two years).

I found the off peak services attracted all sorts of bogans and characters travelling from Frankston to the city. When we first arrived a guy pulled out a knife on a mid afternoon service which was a little daunting. He was very unstable and decided to befriend me and my hubby.

However this aside it is affordable travel unlike the UK and as a rail worker here in the UK i have brought this to the attention of Networkrail bosses though it fell on deaf ears.

Jo