Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to have a baby in Oz?

How much does it cost to have a baby in Oz?

Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much does it cost to have a baby in Oz?

My sister-in-law has just found out she's pregnant, they moved over to Oz in November. She has medicare and wondered how much you have to pay for antenatal care and to give birth in Australia? They don't have internet access at the moment so I said I'd log on and get some advice for her! They live somewhere called the Entrance which is about an hour or so from Sydney.

She said you can claim back medical costs on medicare, but does anyone know how much you have to lay out initally and do you get it all back?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by emmakc1977; Jul 1st 2009 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:11 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to have a baby in Oz?

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
My sister-in-law has just found out she's pregnant, they moved over to Oz in November. She has medicare and wondered how much you have to pay for antenatal care and to give birth in Australia? They don't have internet access at the moment so I said I'd log on and get some advice for her! They live somewhere called the Entrance which is about an hour or so from Sydney.

She said you can claim back medical costs on medicare, but does anyone know how much you have to lay out initally and do you get it all back?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Hi

As your sister-in-law has medicare, all of her pregnancy, labour and post natal care is free, if she uses the public system. It'll cost her a few thousand dollars if she uses the private system. If she goes public, she may have the choice of traditional hospital care, shared care with midwife from the hopsital & GP, or birth centre care, have her named midwife caring for her throughout pregnancy, birth and when she goes home. Tell your sister in law to ask at the local hospitals which services they provide as not all hosptals offer choice.
She may have to pay for ultrasound scans but can claim some of this back.

Hope this helps

Pauline

Last edited by soapy©; Jul 1st 2009 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:14 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

I went public and the only thing I had to pay for before my care was transferred to the hospital was my GP appointment and a couple of scans (about $200 a pop). You get a fair chunk of that cost back through Medicare though.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:21 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

And will she get the baby-bonus to help pay for the things you mentioned that aren't covered?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 12:02 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

I think that will depend on what visa she's on. As a permenant resident, the answer is yes although it's no longer paid in bulk but in 13 fortnightly payments and you don't get it until the baby is born and registered.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 12:55 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=soapy©;7716259]Hi

As your sister-in-law has medicare, all of her pregnancy, labour and post natal care is free, if she uses the public system. It'll cost her a few thousand dollars if she uses the private system. If she goes public, she may have the choice of traditional hospital care, shared care with midwife from the hopsital & GP, or birth centre care, have her named midwife caring for her throughout pregnancy, birth and when she goes home. Tell your sister in law to ask at the local hospitals which services they provide as not all hosptals offer choice.
She may have to pay for ultrasound scans but can claim some of this back.

Hope this helps

This is my experience too....no outlay, just a small amount for scans. Level of care was excellent, they seemed to have all the time in the world for me :0) I ended up having a caesarian too at no extra cost.

My experience was in Adelaide in 2005.

Jan
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
You get a fair chunk of that cost back through Medicare though.
Heard there a lot of Medicare restrictions during first two years of you as a permanent resident. Means the medicare which a new PR gets has less cover than a say 5 years old resident or citizen..

I was wondering if it will affect any of the pregnancy costs. Has any new PR got most of her pregnancy costs reimbursed via medicare?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:20 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Heard there a lot of Medicare restrictions during first two years of you as a permanent resident. Means the medicare which a new PR gets has less cover than a say 5 years old resident or citizen..

I was wondering if it will affect any of the pregnancy costs. Has any new PR got most of her pregnancy costs reimbursed via medicare?
not unless they have recently changed the rules (which is of course possible). I had a baby in Oz in 2004 as a PR of less than a year and all costs were covered, including scans which were done in the public hospital.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:40 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

A six-pack of beer in Melbourne or a potato chip in Sydney..I think
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:06 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

If you have medicare you are covered for everything in the public system. The only thing you may have to get done privately is ultrasounds, depending on the hospitals policy, some do scans some don't. This is all done to budgets. Oh and you don't get free dental treatment as you would have in the UK.
Pauline

Last edited by soapy©; Jul 3rd 2009 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:08 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by MacScot
A six-pack of beer in Melbourne or a potato chip in Sydney..I think
An expensive date then
Paulinex
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

I landed at 28 weeks pregnant on PR visa in Nov 2008. Had an elective C-section. No charges. I had checking scans at my Ob-Gyn appts but wasn't charged. No formal scans though - no time!!! I gave birth at 38 weeks.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Great!! Thanks for sharing your helpful experiences.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You are thinking of certain welfare payments which have a 2 year waiting time for non-citizen. There is no difference for Medicare.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

adeelak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
I landed at 28 weeks pregnant on PR visa in Nov 2008. Had an elective C-section. No charges. I had checking scans at my Ob-Gyn appts but wasn't charged. No formal scans though - no time!!! I gave birth at 38 weeks.
I am in sort of similar situations and I am migrating to Brisbane in next 3-4 weeks with my wife who will be 28-29 weeks pregnant by then.
Kindly if some one could answer

1) Did medicare covers all the pre - post natal and birth expenses ?
2) How long it will take to register with medicare and how to register with a public hospital ?
3) Does public hospitals allow this late entry into the hospitals as I see on the websites PR holders were asked to register at 16th week ?
4) Which are the good public hospitals in Brisbane ?
5) Can I register in a hospital with out medicare card as I presume it might take some time to get the medicare card.

Thanks in advance if any one could help me out with this.

--regards

ADEEL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.