Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much does it cost to get set up in the 1st few months??

how much does it cost to get set up in the 1st few months??

Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default how much does it cost to get set up in the 1st few months??

hi there,

we are planning on heading out to Melb. the beginning of Sept.

We have not sold the house and are sick of waiting on it selling with the visas being granted in April - so we are just going to take the risk of it selling within a few months of us being in oz and also rent when we get there.

As we will be living off our savings can anyone give a rough estimate of how much the first few months has cost them?
Any hidden costs you didnt plan for etc?

thanks in advance
susan
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:51 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: how much does it cost to get set up in the 1st few months??

1 Car wanted a cheap one and ended up spending $12,000
1 rental bond $1000
1 months rent $1120
fridge/freezer $800-1200
2nd car for hubby when he got job $5000 refused to get the bus!
kids x 1 school uniform and books etc $600 plus fees if needed
First food bill $300+ got to restock all the basics I threw away in the UK.
Car insurance $400 + $200 for hubby(crap car hence cheaper)
I bed for us $400 very cheap!

Hope this helps there will be other things as well, we also had to get a phone, aussie video and tv.

Jenny
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:52 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

if renting u also have the set up fees for the fone and for the leckie(safety deposit $80)

internet access......beware of signing up to a contract when in rented, as a lot of the companies have high fees if you break the contract or want to move. and a lot ov them r 24 month contracts
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:15 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biggy
if renting u also have the set up fees for the fone and for the leckie(safety deposit $80)

internet access......beware of signing up to a contract when in rented, as a lot of the companies have high fees if you break the contract or want to move. and a lot ov them r 24 month contracts
Good point on the internet provider, I am with TPG and the contract was 6 months with a fairly cheap moving fee. Have yet to find out how easy that is to move but will find out soon as moving very soon.

I think Telstra charged me $59 on my first bill for providing a service.
There was also something on my first electric bill as well, cant remember how much that was but still a fee for opening up the electric account.

Theres bound the be other bits and pieces you will need, I suppose it all depends on how much you are bringing from the UK and how much you threw away, we chucked away bit of furniture but nothing we have missed or could have done with over here.

Jenny