British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How much does it cost to Break Lease? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-much-does-cost-break-lease-700957/)

freebo Jan 17th 2011 12:11 am

How much does it cost to Break Lease?

We're out of lease in our current place and planning to move. As we'll probably sign a longer contract on the next one just wondered if anyone can advise how much it costs to find a new tenant should I get a job elsewhere or need to move again for any other reason.

I appreciate it depends on how long it takes but how much does an EA charge to place one ad on Domain & screen one lot of tenants?

Scotty1 Jan 17th 2011 12:53 am

Re: How much does it cost to Break Lease?

Hi freebo,

You will basically be responsible for the rental payments until a new tenant is found and any costs incurred as well, eg most agents charge the landlord a fee like half a weeks rent for every change of tenancy plus new condition report. Suggest you enquire with your agent before you sign a new lease - its a perfectly legitimate question for you to pose them.
Shouldn't be too expensive if you are in Sydney given demand!

freebo Jan 17th 2011 7:14 am

Cheers, that's roughly what I was expecting.

mand8002 Jan 17th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 9106773)
We're out of lease in our current place and planning to move. As we'll probably sign a longer contract on the next one just wondered if anyone can advise how much it costs to find a new tenant should I get a job elsewhere or need to move again for any other reason.

I appreciate it depends on how long it takes but how much does an EA charge to place one ad on Domain & screen one lot of tenants?

We were told we were responsible for the rent until a new tenant was found + one weeks rent, but as rentals were in short supply we only ended up paying the one weeks rent

backdoor Jan 17th 2011 11:37 am

We broke lease this morning and within 2 hours they had found a new tenant. We were told we would have to pay rent until a new tenant was found and the GST on the advertising costs. (Victoria - which would have worked out to $57.00)

Margaret3 Jan 17th 2011 11:14 pm

just wondering if it acceptable to find a new tennant yourself to take over the lease

lonndongeek Jan 17th 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 9109096)
just wondering if it acceptable to find a new tennant yourself to take over the lease

You can find a new tenant, but the real estate agent/landlord would still need to approve them as normal.

Cheers

Steve