Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do you spend?

How much do you spend?

Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do you spend?

Originally Posted by madsad
Salmon,i love but im stunned by the price of it here very rarely buy it now,rump steak lol! very true!

Donna.
can't believe it's more expensive to produce here - it must be the supermarkets still stuck in the dark ages - that it's a 'luxury good' and therefore deserving of an outrageous price.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:37 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The prices may have been going up for last few weeks because the fuel prices have gone through the roof.

And things like vegetables vary because of the season - anyone mention the fact that strawberries are like er... free... here... ooooh no because that would be a good thing. And the fact that the steak IS so cheap er ? we 're complaining about what now?.

Or how about - in the UK how much did we all spend on crappy take-out because it was 'how we like it' instead of this foreign muck here in Aus that we dont like ..... or how much better for everyone it is to eat these fresh things instead of a Marks & Spencers microwave meal. I know where i'd rather be. And 18$ for fish + Chips for a family - thats like 6 quid ! thats pretty cool.

not digging - just lets keep it a bit real for those who are not here yet . I can distinctly and fondly remember everyone moaning like hell that lettuces were 72$ a kilo or something stupid.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
The prices may have been going up for last few weeks because the fuel prices have gone through the roof.

And things like vegetables vary because of the season - anyone mention the fact that strawberries are like er... free... here... ooooh no because that would be a good thing. And the fact that the steak IS so cheap er ? we 're complaining about what now?.

Or how about - in the UK how much did we all spend on crappy take-out because it was 'how we like it' instead of this foreign muck here in Aus that we dont like ..... or how much better for everyone it is to eat these fresh things instead of a Marks & Spencers microwave meal. I know where i'd rather be. And 18$ for fish + Chips for a family - thats like 6 quid ! thats pretty cool.

not digging - just lets keep it a bit real for those who are not here yet . I can distinctly and fondly remember everyone moaning like hell that lettuces were 72$ a kilo or something stupid.
Good points - I think the general point of the thread is the cost of the weekly shop and perhaps individual items were being used to explain the relatively high cost of the weekly shop.

You've raised an interesting point about take outs and eating out generally though - I was thinking of this earlier - how come, when retail prices are relatively high and labour costs (for catering workers) are in line with the UK, you can eat out and get take away for such a lower price than the UK?

Does this suggest that wholesale prices are low and the retailers are putting huge mark-ups on the products?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:16 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

probably more to do with the rent + taxes + wages those are the big costs in a take-out meal preparation.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:25 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Good points - I think the general point of the thread is the cost of the weekly shop and perhaps individual items were being used to explain the relatively high cost of the weekly shop.

You've raised an interesting point about take outs and eating out generally though - I was thinking of this earlier - how come, when retail prices are relatively high and labour costs (for catering workers) are in line with the UK, you can eat out and get take away for such a lower price than the UK?

Does this suggest that wholesale prices are low and the retailers are putting huge mark-ups on the products?
Premises are cheaper here so this accounts for a lot of the saving.

Also UK take away is subject to an extra 7.5% of sales tax.

On your salmon question earlier. I would imagine that there is not much farming of Atlantic Salmon here (unlike Scotland) which is why it is be significantly more expensive here. Remember it was expensive in the UK before farming took off big time. Without the market here, I should think (Atlantic) Salmon Farming would be a risky venture.

A
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=spalen]The prices may have been going up for last few weeks because the fuel prices have gone through the roof.

Will they put the cost of the food down once/if/when the fuel prices drop ?

Can anyone tell me why there only seems to be 2 major supermarkets (coles/woolies) or are there others , I went to a Farmer Jacks, are these all over Australia or just in Perth?

I had some strawberries when we were on holiday in Sydney at Xmas and they were like old boots - and massive, must have been a bad lot
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Without the market here, I should think (Atlantic) Salmon Farming would be a risky venture.
Lots of farming of Atlantic salmon in Australia:

http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/pages/aqu...959&tempID=172

G
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:32 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Grayling
Lots of farming of Atlantic salmon in Australia:

http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/pages/aqu...959&tempID=172

G
I think the words "small scale" sums up my point; I would be surprised if Salmon farming is bigger in Aus than it is in Scotland.

A
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:36 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Spalen....I think most people so far have commented on their weekly shopping bill and the fact there has been a rise in the cost of food recently, as you say, probably due to fuel and cartel behaviours of the supermarkets.

This was a sensible discussion without aggression or a tit for tat approach...and keeping it real is whatever it is for the person concerned, and in my case $250+ a week.

I've read threads / posts on this subject before and indeed one particular poster claimed to spend $400+ per week. This may or may not have been exaggerated however people tell it as they see it...for them.

The key really is that those still in UK have to make up their own mind and
1. Do their own research e.g check out Aussie supermarket prices via websites here
2. Assess from these posts a medium range of weekly spending thereby gaining a more meaningful average spend [excluding daft skews]
3. Check out each posters claims by reading some of their previous posts thereby sanity checking the credibility of that particular poster.

As is human nature, there will always be people who exaggerate or who don't "keep it real". It is up to people to make up their own minds by checking out those posters who are balanced, logical and thereby more likely to be accurate.

Has somebody been winding you up by any chance? Not like you to get so ticked off

Last edited by phoenixinoz; Oct 20th 2005 at 7:38 am.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thats just the latest excuse they have, our food in 2001 was $150 and now $280 average, we are down one person too. Its not just gone up the last few months. The food monopoly here is just taking the mick.

I can remember these prices from about 2000 -2002

Medical insurance 2002 $1464 to $2500 now

4 bedroom house $195,000 now $424,000

Swimming pool 2002 $12,990 now that guys base price is $17,990

Petrol was about 69 c I think not so sure on that one, its $1.12 here now

Food see above.

Kids first book lists were about $70 the last one we had for highschool was several hundred, kids primary lists out now, both are looking at about $200 one school t shirt was $20 now they are $30.

Award wages for our jobs are virtually unchanged however tax rates have been cut a bit.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We NEVER eat take-aways or convenience food in the UK.

Generalising does not help.

G
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:47 am
Account Closed

To be fair, from what my parents tell me in UK prices have gone up to astronomical amounts too. Apparently Gas and/or electric has gone up 12%+ last year ...and this year

It's a certainty average UK pensions and salary increases haven't grown at the same rate
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:14 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Our current weekly shopping at the supermarket, chemist, butcher's, fruit barn and bottle shop is about $150. That's including food, beer, dog food, cleaning agents, and toiletries. And every couple of months, we spend a whole weekend cooking batches of homemade pasta sauce, stew, Chinese dumplings, soup, etc, to freeze, for the next couple of months. Usually that costs us about $100-200 for the ingredients for 30-60 meals depending on what we make.

So our monthly grocery bill is about $700 for 2 adults and a dog. That covers just about everything except cigarettes, magazines, and a couple of meals out each week. The bill's gone up a bit since we've been here because we're eating at home more and the wife's eating for 2.

ADL
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

A week or two ago I invited someone in the UK to PM me and arrange an identical shop one day to compare prices UK/Oz; just for interest.

It wouldn't be difficult to make up a list of identical or comparable items to be priced in say Tescos and Coles one day.

No-one was interested enough to reply, even though people are always "comparing" prices!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
A week or two ago I invited someone in the UK to PM me and arrange an identical shop one day to compare prices UK/Oz; just for interest.

It wouldn't be difficult to make up a list of identical or comparable items to be priced in say Tescos and Coles one day.

No-one was interested enough to reply, even though people are always "comparing" prices!
I think the thing is Rog there are so many variables. For instance food shopping can only be truly compared if measured as a proportion of overall living expenditure. And then as a proportion of salary. Then there are Tax's and benefits to be taken into consideration in each country.

Proportionate values probably equate to swings and roundabouts in each country overall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.