Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do you pay for your mortgage/rent?

How much do you pay for your mortgage/rent?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:48 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much do you pay for your mortgage/rent?

Originally Posted by Grayling
0%
Good for you. I assume everyone will get there someday!

I'm hoping to get there in another 5 years, we'll see if that happens
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by comet555

Approx 27% of our combined total is rent.

Wish it was lower :-(
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wullieb1
Approx 27% of our combined total is rent.

Wish it was lower :-(
About 30% but we're making over payments, it could be more like 20-25%. Mortgage obviously, you wouldn't make overpayments on rent
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

0% here too.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Are you squatting?
No. He's an old guy and squatting is hard on old, arthritic knees.

If we're talking take-home then currently about 25% on rent plus another 10% for our mortgage while the house is being built. Once the house is finished and we move in the mortgage will go up to about 40%.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:07 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember rightly, the official description of "Mortgage Stress" is when you are paying 30%+ of your household income toward the house...

This is an interesting thread...
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Are these percentages based on 100% mortgages, or have a lot of you paid a substantial deposit.
Hope thats not too cheeky a question, just curious to see what i'm going to be able to afford.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:33 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pazza
Are these percentages based on 100% mortgages, or have a lot of you paid a substantial deposit.
Hope thats not too cheeky a question, just curious to see what i'm going to be able to afford.
I'm not sure about everyone else but for ours we paid a deposit of about 50% (proceeds from last house sale). So that definitely helped. Right now our payments would be 17% but we overpay it so that we pay about 24%. Had we taken out a 100% mortgage we would have been paying closer to 35%.

Now if we had taken out the kind of mortgage the bank approved us for it would be higher than even 35%.

I would not listen to the bank on what you can afford. Figure out your net pay and work out 30% of that. That is the amount I really wouldn't go over on your regular payments. Even better would be to be around 20-25% (or lower of course). That way you've got a bit of room in case of interest rates, job losses, etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

50% of my income on a 80% mortgage.

John
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:20 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

About 45% renting.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:31 pm
ABCDiamond

That way you've got a bit of room in case of interest rates,
To Emphasise the Interest rates...

The current RBA advised Standard Variable Mortgage interest rate is 6.85%
The ANZ bank is currently quoting 6.91%.

The average rate for the last 20 years has been 9.12% !!

What can people afford to pay if and when it goes back to the long term average rate ?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Spondylus is an unknown quantity at this point

We're paying about 25% in rent. Thats after tax.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

About $30 renting. Can't afford to buy and never will be able to, so not everyone will get to the 0%.....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
About $30 renting. Can't afford to buy and never will be able to, so not everyone will get to the 0%.....
$30, wow thats cheap. lol
Tracie
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Personally I would never get myself into a mortgage that is more than 30-35% of our take home pay. I just don't like worrying about money. I'd rather live in a less fancy house and have money to do other things, or to pay off the mortgage sooner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but sometimes you dont get the choice!!!
My son has just managed to get his foot on the ladder and he is paying more that 50% of his income...and its not a fancy house, just a small cottage block.
It was either that or staying in rented for the rest of his days!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.