Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do we need to earn??

How much do we need to earn??

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default How much do we need to earn??

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning our move / decision to emigrate to Perth, WA and we have a few questions for those in the know so please could you help us out.

Firstly, we currently live in Greater London and house prices are around £270+ (small 3 bed house) and we have been tracking the rise of properties in WA for sometime but unfortunately they seem to have sky rocketed. We have two small children and I am a stay home mum. We reckon we need to make around £50k per annum to keep our head above water here. What salaries should we consider good in Aus. We found it expensive when we activated our visas 18 months ago and shopping, going out was like for like. We've heard that $100k per annum is a good salary. With dh's job we are looking at earning around $75k per annum. I need to know if I am going to have to head back to work and if it will now be a struggle whereever we are.

Secondly, we have a skilled migration visa (area sponsored) - 139. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or where we have to work etc. We need to get to Oz before 2010 thats all I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

PoppetUK
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:32 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do we need to earn??

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Secondly, we have a skilled migration visa (area sponsored) - 139. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or where we have to work etc. We need to get to Oz before 2010 thats all I know.
Hi PoppetUK,

I had a look on the DIMA (DIC) web site and it said:
"There are no conditions placed on this visa. This means that you are able to live and work in any part of Australia and engage in any type of employment."

Don't know the answer to your first question.

Gina
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning our move / decision to emigrate to Perth, WA and we have a few questions for those in the know so please could you help us out.

Firstly, we currently live in Greater London and house prices are around £270+ (small 3 bed house) and we have been tracking the rise of properties in WA for sometime but unfortunately they seem to have sky rocketed. We have two small children and I am a stay home mum. We reckon we need to make around £50k per annum to keep our head above water here. What salaries should we consider good in Aus. We found it expensive when we activated our visas 18 months ago and shopping, going out was like for like. We've heard that $100k per annum is a good salary. With dh's job we are looking at earning around $75k per annum. I need to know if I am going to have to head back to work and if it will now be a struggle whereever we are.

Regards

PoppetUK
Depends on mortgage and loans you have. We don't have either and can manage easily enough on $50k per year.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:38 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Regards

PoppetUK

75 plus some Family assistance benefits which basicly suts out paying income tax to some extent.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
75 plus some Family assistance benefits which basicly suts out paying income tax to some extent.
Ok. Just read somewhere about $80,000 being the magic number
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the figure will be different for everyone, depending on how much equity they get for their house in England and whether they get a job quickly when they arrive.
It took my husband 5 months to find a job and all that time our equity was being eaten in to.
So with the savings we have left we figure we need to earn around the $100,000 mark to get the sort of house we want.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Just read somewhere about $80,000 being the magic number
I wouldn't believe everything you read on here.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I wouldn't believe everything you read on here.
I wouldn't believe anything you read on here.