Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do I need to earn?

How much do I need to earn?

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do I need to earn?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I would strongly refute that. Obviously certain areas differ and locations may vary due to shortage of applicants or not as the case may be, which would reflect the offering salary. Best concentrate on an area fell best/confident at working in and attempt to get into position from there. For most people, I would say the present times are hard to break into the six figure . Positions I found going for $110,000 to $120,000 a few years back have indeed gone backwards offering $20,000 or more less. Those earning reasonably money in cases I have known to have been restructured out and invited to reapply with a slightly different job title but of course at less money.
You really find it hard to understand that your circumstances don't apply to all and don't apply to places outside Perth.

Obviously your line of work in your location is going backwards.

Try something a little different in a different location. Infrastructure projects in Melbourne or Sydney as an example. There are people changing jobs all over the place because these projects just can't find the skills therefore the projects are paying considerable increases.

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You really find it hard to understand that your circumstances don't apply to all and don't apply to places outside Perth.

Obviously your line of work in your location is going backwards.

Try something a little different in a different location. Infrastructure projects in Melbourne or Sydney as an example. There are people changing jobs all over the place because these projects just can't find the skills therefore the projects are paying considerable increases.
Do we really need to turn this thread into an argument also? Christ on a bike it's tiring!
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Do we really need to turn this thread into an argument also? Christ on a bike it's tiring!
The guy who started the thread is obviously in need of some help. If this poster continues to post misleading information, then it's the right to set the record straight.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 9:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Now come on, you know the world revolves around Sydney vs Melbourne vs Perth, with left vs right waiting in the wings.....

Things round here ain't what they were
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree.

If needs be I'll prune & move the argy bargy posts into a bickery place of its own but really it would be better if posters were to limit themselves to actually helping the OP if they can.

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
After what has happened the last two days (the wife transferring money away), that generated more questions about rights, entitlements, etc. I have a full page of notes and an appointment on Thursday morning with community legal. This might sound disparaging, but I hope they're good! My wife has a private lawyer, no doubt paid for by her parents. Just hoping private does not mean better! And I hope I qualify for more than a single meeting.

Cheers
I hope you manage to get the help you need.

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
After what has happened the last two days (the wife transferring money away), that generated more questions about rights, entitlements, etc. I have a full page of notes and an appointment on Thursday morning with community legal. This might sound disparaging, but I hope they're good! My wife has a private lawyer, no doubt paid for by her parents. Just hoping private does not mean better! And I hope I qualify for more than a single meeting.

Cheers
To be truthful at this stressful stage, you probably need to do a job you feel comfortable with. I'd be surprised if there are that many employment opportunities over the 80K mark for a payroll employee in the Twin Towns of Albury/Wodonga, If there are I bet you would need a lot of experience in the specific chosen field.

Good luck

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 2nd 2019 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 11:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
To be truthful at this stressful stage, you probably need to do a job you feel comfortable with.
Good luck
I'd agree with that wholeheartedly.

I looked back through posts here. Lucas_Dad asks how much does he need to earn. I haven't seen an actual answer to that one.

Forget optimum salaries & all that stuff. This chap simply needs to be back in the work place and earning. He suggested $40K I think. Is that enough? Is it realistic.

From his start point , once he is comfortable, it is then he can choose to build on that or not.

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 12:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'd agree with that wholeheartedly.

I looked back through posts here. Lucas_Dad asks how much does he need to earn. I haven't seen an actual answer to that one.

Forget optimum salaries & all that stuff. This chap simply needs to be back in the work place and earning. He suggested $40K I think. Is that enough? Is it realistic.

From his start point , once he is comfortable, it is then he can choose to build on that or not.
I personally think $40k is a bit low. I would think with young children and all the day to day little things that pop up he's going to want closer to $60k. That may not be doable at first, but getting out there and working is what gets the much needed experience happening. Even if it's in the local service station, getting up every day because you have somewhere to go helps. Actually, my daughter is working part time at a service station and makes pretty good money.