Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do bricklayers earn?

How much do bricklayers earn?

Old Feb 9th 2003, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much do bricklayers earn?

I would be really interested to know how much bricklayers are being paid in OZ, does anybody have any idea? Am worried that will be worse off if get to OZ?
Old Feb 9th 2003, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

what ever you will be worse off financially if you swap job for job

it's what can make up for it that counts..

cheers

richard
Old Feb 9th 2003, 1:20 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do bricklayers earn?

Originally posted by MichelleW
I would be really interested to know how much bricklayers are being paid in OZ, does anybody have any idea? Am worried that will be worse off if get to OZ?
The brickies building the house for my folks are earning $20 per hour they are a couple of young lads not long out of their time they're being supervised by an older brickie who's in charge of setting out etc. he's paid $30 dollars but that's because he's classed as special class tradesman. The average for time served men is about $25 per hour. This is local to The sunshine coast and rates increase accordingly the closer to Brisbane you get.
We had a couple of ozzie brickies working for us recently and I must have bored them silly asking so many questions about pay and conditions etc. They had come from Sydney and had been earning top dollar there they said it was just short of $50 per hour that equated to what I was earning in London A few years ago when times were good here.
I'm now back in the north east and average rate here is about £7.50 per hour though some firms are paying £10 So comparing local rates here to rates in our intended location were loads better off as the housing is a lot cheaper.
I visited loads of sites while I was there just to get an idea and could have got a job paying cash in hand $18 per hour no papers, so the black market exists there as well.
I'd advise against that option though as a mate of mine has just been deported from the states for just the same thing. He was only caught when a man fell to his death and the site was closed down by the US equivalent of the HSE they found he had no papers and was on the next plane home.
Old Feb 9th 2003, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Any ideas what the available work is like Melbourne way?
Old Feb 9th 2003, 2:05 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MichelleW
Thanks for the info. Any ideas what the available work is like Melbourne way?
Sorry not been anywhere near Melbourne some folks must be heading in the general direction though keep looking.