Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much did you take or are taking?

how much did you take or are taking?

Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default how much did you take or are taking?

Hello All

Just a quick one, those of you without lots of property equity, how much money did you take over to start your new life in Aus? just roughly?

Wondering as supposed to be saving but doing really badly and want to bring cats but will eat into savings

Thanks

Laura
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:20 pm
JKA
Forum Regular

JKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: how much did you take or are taking?

Hi Laura

We don't have a property to sell either so are frantically trying to save.

We are aiming to have £30k but we are not planning to go until Jan 07 at the earliest so we have a bit of time.

Good luck.

John
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JKA
Hi Laura

We don't have a property to sell either so are frantically trying to save.

We are aiming to have £30k but we are not planning to go until Jan 07 at the earliest so we have a bit of time.

Good luck.

John
Thanks for your reply, were hoping to leave in April 06 but I dont think we will have quite £10,000. We def wont be able to buy a place for a while but im hoping it will be enough to get by for a while.

I hate saving its so depressing, still got to keep thinking it will be worth it in the end

Good luck to you guys too.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:58 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

This really freaks me out, actually. I read of people who are taking oodles, like £250-450k , and Im afraid we are not anywhere near as fortunate. Once we have repaid all of our debts including my bl**dy student loan, we will for the first time ever be debt free, I estimate if we are very lucky we may have £40-50k to take with us...probably more like 40 unless the housing market bucks up.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lucyb
This really freaks me out, actually. I read of people who are taking oodles, like £250-450k , and Im afraid we are not anywhere near as fortunate. Once we have repaid all of our debts including my bl**dy student loan, we will for the first time ever be debt free, I estimate if we are very lucky we may have £40-50k to take with us...probably more like 40 unless the housing market bucks up.
I'm taking £500,000 and think we'll just get by as you'll need $100,000 a year just to survive.

Easy to type crap ain't it! Don't believe all you read.

Last edited by Gjn200; Aug 9th 2005 at 6:26 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:24 pm

OMG!! I nearly choked then!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

My husbands from your way, Littlehampton. Hes actually deferring the student loan, we could carry on saving and pay it off but feel we would never get there, everytime the saving goes well something comes up. nightmare. So anyway other than the student loan we are debt free which is an amazing feeling.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:11 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by Gjn200
I'm taking £500,000 and think we'll just get by as you'll need $100,000 a year just to survive.

Easy to type crap ain't it! Don't believe all you read.

I was always taught to talk about money in polite company was tasteless

To be honest a million squid does not necessarily mean life will be rosy in Australia, mind I would not mind a go.

B

Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLC

I was always taught to talk about money in polite company was tasteless

To be honest a million squid does not necessarily mean life will be rosy in Australia, mind I would not mind a go.

B

oh sorry i didnt mean to offend anyone, its not like I want to know how loaded or not people are, just wanted to get an idea of whats a reasonable amount to take without really struggling
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by lawlaw
oh sorry i didnt mean to offend anyone, its not like I want to know how loaded or not people are, just wanted to get an idea of whats a reasonable amount to take without really struggling

I think it's all relative.......and I bet everyone has managed on what they took over...we will have to cut the garment according to the cloth. What we dont want is spending months trying to get jobs and then watching our capital dwindle. My husband is adamant he wants a job lined up before he goes but I really dont think that will happen somehow.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
BLC

No offence at all, I wasn't intending to offend your question either, please accept my apologies - nothing personal to you.

I know that it can be deemed as a touchy subject on this site (been stuck here for nearly 2 years off and on) :scared:

There is no hard and fast rules about money, of course a good cushion of cash is always a bonus.

Best of luck
B

Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:20 pm
BLC

I think it's all relative.......and I bet everyone has managed on what they took over...we will have to cut the garment according to the cloth.
Very true, I would karma that but fresh out.

B

Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it's all relative.......and I bet everyone has managed on what they took over...we will have to cut the garment according to the cloth. What we dont want is spending months trying to get jobs and then watching our capital dwindle. My husband is adamant he wants a job lined up before he goes but I really dont think that will happen somehow.
Yes im sure your right, i panic a little sometimes but I have always been ok in life so far so why not in australia. I would imagine having a job lined up before you go would be quite hard according to other posts anyway. I plan to take temp work or whatever until I find my ideal position and suss things out a little better.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:25 pm
BLC

Yes im sure your right, i panic a little sometimes but I have always been ok in life so far so why not in australia. I would imagine having a job lined up before you go would be quite hard according to other posts anyway. I plan to take temp work or whatever until I find my ideal position and suss things out a little better.
It is always amazing how you survive, I look back on each time I have arrived in a new place and just got on with it. We have never starved, we have always paid the bills, it can be and will be tough but with the right attitude you will make it.

I get inspired by samrob2, lauralollipop, geordie george, carolinegorka and many, many more as there posters who have a great attitude to setting up in Australia.

Best wishes
B

Old Aug 9th 2005, 7:26 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

We had the house valued yesterday and it was a bit lower than we had hoped, and with the exchange rate going the wrong way it looks like we wont have a deposit to buy in Sydney

Who cares if we rent for a few years, big deal. We will have enough to get there and set up, so thats all that counts.

Most of us aren't exactly going to Oz for the finances are we!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.