Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much did you take?

Wikiposts

How much did you take?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:11 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much did you take?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A good amount to take is whatever amount you have. If you've got £500k, then that's a good amount. If you've got £5k, then that's a good amount too. You can only take what you've got.
After paying all our debts, shipping, flights, etc (and the $100k bond ) we'll actually be left with about £7k to take.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How much did you take?

Originally Posted by JJJHM
I'm not really thinking of what I am taking but what I am leaving behind.... overdraft - cleared, credit card bill - cleared, large mortgage - cleared, car hp - cleared, Next account - cleared, other small debts all cleared..... to be totally debt free for the first time in my adult life will be wonderful...

On saying that we will have some money, enough to buy a decent car and not have a large morgage .... the hard bit is going to be not racking up debts again......

Good luck everyone!!

J

Snap
All of our married life we have had debts, now the kids are getting older and all at school (well next year our youngest will be) we are looking forward to a debt free life, and we will be trying our hardest not to get debts again. (Except mortgage)
We are only taking approx 10k but a clean slate as well, and boy does that feel good, we have to admit though we were tempted to leave a few debts but thought the ability to hold our heads up and not forever looking over our shoulders will be worth it.
I think we will be renting for a good while though.

Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:35 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dicko
Snap
All of our married life we have had debts, now the kids are getting older and all at school (well next year our youngest will be) we are looking forward to a debt free life, and we will be trying our hardest not to get debts again. (Except mortgage)
We are only taking approx 10k but a clean slate as well, and boy does that feel good, we have to admit though we were tempted to leave a few debts but thought the ability to hold our heads up and not forever looking over our shoulders will be worth it.
I think we will be renting for a good while though.

Good luck
Hi, we're not in Oz yet but have no cash to take with us, we'll probably manage £1000. We are shipping the car, all our furniture and the dog. We have relatives out there who we an stay with until we find our feet, without them I don't think we'd be going just yet, we'd have to hang back a year or so to save some money. We also have debt in the UK but have switched to an international company to enable us to pay it in Oz without the exchange rate.
We may have no money but we have the determination to make it work.
Marie
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Well we're taking £5k
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:52 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We`re taking bugger all really. Might have $10k if we sell our cars here, to help us buy one there.

We have $15k in Oz but hopefully won`t have to touch that until we eventually get to buy a house.

ho-hum.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Ash1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in a different boat (going out on a 1 yr working visa) but am determined to get an IT contract job in either Perth (we're i'm heading), Melbourne (2nd stop if struggling to get work in Perth) and finally last chance saloon in sydney to enable me to get on a 457 business visa to enable me to stay out there on a more permanent...

To enable people to put things in perspective (and possibly realise how good your situations actually are...) I am taking £3500 and am also carrying a £14k bank loan...

I am also doing it on my own...

(and I am 31 years old so not that much younger than a lot of you...)

However, I have never been so sure about anything in my life and (like all the rest of you i'm sure) am boring everyone to death with going on about it...

I'm also planning on spending the first 12 weeks travelling from Cairns down the east coast to sydney, melbourne and then on to Perth so in theory I will arrive in Perth with nothing...! however, I have some good friends in Perth where i can stay so it's not a totally lunatic plan...

10 weeks and counting
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:15 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: How much did you take?

Originally Posted by Ash1974
I'm in a different boat (going out on a 1 yr working visa) but am determined to get an IT contract job in either Perth (we're i'm heading), Melbourne (2nd stop if struggling to get work in Perth) and finally last chance saloon in sydney to enable me to get on a 457 business visa to enable me to stay out there on a more permanent...

To enable people to put things in perspective (and possibly realise how good your situations actually are...) I am taking £3500 and am also carrying a £14k bank loan...

I am also doing it on my own...

(and I am 31 years old so not that much younger than a lot of you...)

However, I have never been so sure about anything in my life and (like all the rest of you i'm sure) am boring everyone to death with going on about it...

I'm also planning on spending the first 12 weeks travelling from Cairns down the east coast to sydney, melbourne and then on to Perth so in theory I will arrive in Perth with nothing...! however, I have some good friends in Perth where i can stay so it's not a totally lunatic plan...

10 weeks and counting
Ash dont worry about that..
Me too in same boat but only good thing is that I have a PR.
But I might carry less than 5K that can keep the candle burning for 6 month I guess for a loner like me. Rest I think I can secure a job out there in 6 months...So keeping my fingures crossed.

Only thing I have is confidence and convication may be little experience...
May be those things count more then experience.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi All
Well as said before it really doesnt matter how much you are coming out with, if its going to work for you it will or it wont, and thats whether it be with $5k or $500k. I know people who have come out with money, enough to buy outright a nice house and life, but it didnt work and Australia wasnt for them, others like ourselves came out with literally nothing and we have been here 2 and half years now, have our citizenship interview may 19th and are hopefully fingers crossed going to put a deposit down on some land to build a house.
We both work hard and play hard, the kids love it here and so do we, we would not go back to the UK we love our life here. So yes it can be done with no money, and dont worry to those of you who have none, youll be good.
Joanne
P.s We also left with no debts in the UK, but have managed to build a few up here, but hey thats life and surviving day to day im afraid