Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much did you take?

How much did you take?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light
Default How much did you take?

I don't know if this is prudent to ask or not but i'll ask anyway.

For all the people who migrated sucessfully...How much money did you take with you? and also, what do you think is a good amount to take? Does it help your application if you have a large wedge of cash?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How much did you take?

Originally Posted by Australia Bound

For all the people who migrated sucessfully...How much money did you take with you? and also, what do you think is a good amount to take? Does it help your application if you have a large wedge of cash?
The application does ask how much funds you intend to take but it doesn't affect the application as far as I know, unless your using it to get the extra 5 points in which case you have to lodge the agreed funds.

I'd be interested in the replies too, as I'm not loaded like some on here appear to be. It seems quite a few will be going with sufficient funds to buy their house outright, wow, I wish I was in that position.

Lets here those replies folks !

Phil
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:05 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We're hoping to take about £95K, assuming house prices in the UK dont plummet too drastically, which is what we should have left for buying property taking out all other expenses (shipping, car, rent for 6 months, cat shipping & quarantine etc. etc.) so we will still need a mortgage albeit a smaller one than we have now.

I think having some cash will make it easier, but I have heard of people taking pretty much nothing except a couple of suitcases!

We're certainly not loaded, just been really lucky in that we both had our own houses when we met which we sold for large profits, therefore have a small mortgage here and with the extra house price rise plus work we've done will make another profit (fingers crossed!!!)
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bridiej
We're hoping to take about £95K...
I forgot that bit didn't I.

We'll be going with about £70K if we're lucky.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

NorthernLass is on a distinguished road

I am panicing now!!! We are planning on taking £20,000 after shipping cost etc :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

For us, a princely sum of 10,000 GBP. and we had some change after all initial expenditure bar a house purchase.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:12 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLass
I am panicing now!!! We are planning on taking £20,000 after shipping cost etc :scared:
Dont panic, like I said there's plenty of people just taken two suitcases and that's it!

Sending you some calming karma (if it lets me)
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

How much money did you take with you? and also, what do you think is a good amount to take?

A good amount to take is whatever amount you have. If you've got £500k, then that's a good amount. If you've got £5k, then that's a good amount too. You can only take what you've got.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NorthernLass
We are looking at the same amount ish,but someone on one of these threads said you are going for a different lifestyle...money helps but its not the main reason but if anyone feels they have to much money they can give it to me
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

We're off in Novemeber and will be taking £26,000. There's only me and my hubby and we'll both be going into good jobs. We feel that that will be enough to get us started to puse as a deposit on a house. We're staying with family until our wages start coming in. Its not the greatest amount but we will have shed blood, sweat and tears trying to save that amount and clear the remainder of our debts.

People go on a lot less and people go on a lot more. I don't think our standard of living in Oz will be that different to our standard of life in London - except for less car and people I think we'll be alright. It helps being married to an Aussie who knows the score
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

I think 10 - 20k is a decent amount if you're walking straight into a job. We're hoping to take about 60k (the profit from selling our house) but that will almost entirely be used as a deposit for another house. I'm not too sure either of us will have a job though.

I think my wife, who is a Charge Nurse, may be able to organise agency work before we leave but i'm not sure. Are there any nurses on here who can give me some info?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

I'm not really thinking of what I am taking but what I am leaving behind.... overdraft - cleared, credit card bill - cleared, large mortgage - cleared, car hp - cleared, Next account - cleared, other small debts all cleared..... to be totally debt free for the first time in my adult life will be wonderful...

On saying that we will have some money, enough to buy a decent car and not have a large morgage .... the hard bit is going to be not racking up debts again......

Good luck everyone!!

J
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I guess how much you need depends on how many people you have to support. A lot also depends on lifestyle and how you choose to spend your money. My husband and I sepnd about £90 a week on food for the two of us, my sister and her husband only spend £50 a week for the two of them. We clearly choose to spend more than they do on our veggies, we choose organic - not essential but our choice. My point is whilst one person could not contemplate a move without say £100k another person will quite happily manage taking just £10K.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by JJJHM
I'm not really thinking of what I am taking but what I am leaving behind.... overdraft - cleared, credit card bill - cleared, large mortgage - cleared, car hp - cleared, Next account - cleared, other small debts all cleared..... to be totally debt free for the first time in my adult life will be wonderful...

On saying that we will have some money, enough to buy a decent car and not have a large morgage .... the hard bit is going to be not racking up debts again......

Good luck everyone!!

J

I am looking forward to that aswell, to be totally debt free . We will have money behind us aswell so allowing for a small mortgage at the other end. Nice feeling.

Theresa

Last edited by hooperhome; Apr 19th 2005 at 1:43 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:20 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Re: How much did you take?

I think you are talking about liquid or Hard cash...
Cash in Pocket dont you... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.