Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Visible expenditure:

1000 pounds fees and f light

10 k Ute....

My wife got a flight and a few boxes sent over.

I went back to the UK 4 years later with an empty suitcase and got the balance of possessions...

we saved a tonne on housing which negated loss.

Written-off :
A sofa
A table
Books given to my brother
Fridge

Same for Mrs B

Some of our costs to restock house would have happened anyway as my wife would have wanted to replace my bachelor rubbish.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Nothing....I got a great relocation package! But in all, I reckon it cost them about $40k.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road

Personallly thinking basing this on a family of FOUR, anyone that spents over 15k to emigrate from UK to australia youve been simply robbed and seen you coming lol

Family of Four 176 Pr visas

PR visas £1700 approx its approx $2600 dollars
medicals £650
Boat £4000 20 ft if wanted 40ft £5800
flights £2100 40kgs allowance
vettasses £1350 trade including short flight, accommodation.
Visa Bureau £2800 (looking back we could probably of saved on this, ie do it ourselves, but didnt want the hassle and mess it up, got approved in 17 months)

Total £12350 now thats a bargain

You cant really cost in start up and loss of wages as ur simply unemployed lol and start up costs various from family to family

My figures are SOLEY based on emigrating cost from UK to gettting to OZ

All figures based on 2011-2012

Goodluck.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Annemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really nice

Thanks everyone!! Very helpful xx
Old May 1st 2012, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elect42
Personallly thinking basing this on a family of FOUR, anyone that spents over 15k to emigrate from UK to australia youve been simply robbed and seen you coming lol

Family of Four 176 Pr visas

PR visas £1700 approx its approx $2600 dollars
medicals £650
Boat £4000 20 ft if wanted 40ft £5800
flights £2100 40kgs allowance
vettasses £1350 trade including short flight, accommodation.
Visa Bureau £2800 (looking back we could probably of saved on this, ie do it ourselves, but didnt want the hassle and mess it up, got approved in 17 months)

Total £12350 now thats a bargain

You cant really cost in start up and loss of wages as ur simply unemployed lol and start up costs various from family to family

My figures are SOLEY based on emigrating cost from UK to gettting to OZ

All figures based on 2011-2012

Goodluck.
Other people are including temporary accommodation upon arrival, initial rental bond and in some cases, pets. Hence the difference.
Old May 1st 2012, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Ceej18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Annemarie24
Looks like we are emigrating next year oct 2013 :eek: just wondered how much it has cost people to emigrate?

I.e flights (family of 4) I'm prices not out yet for oct 13 but I'm thinking between 2000-2500 for a OW?
Moving of furniture
Bond on rental accommodation?
Visas

Thanks in advance
Annemarie
Hi,

I just moved to Brisbane from the UK. There are two of us. My girlfriend and I saved hard for 18 months, got cheap(ish) flights from the UK and stayed on the floor of a friends living room for 4 weeks in Sydney before finding jobs in Brisbane. It cost us about 15K (sterling) which includes a bond on our flat, rent in advance, internal travel, a couple of hotels. We dont live on a tight budget at all. A scooner will cost about $8, a meal at a normal chain restaurant about $20 for a main course a nicer restaurant is about $50 - 60 for a main. Rent is paid 2-4 weeks in advance and will cost $500-700 for a two bed apartment in the city. about $800 - $1000 in the suburbs for a house. Depending on your expectations and style of living. Expect to pay $150 for a hotel for a night on average.

Make sure you keep mortage / rent receipts going back at least 6 months as you need to score 100 points to get a place over here too.

Public transport is fairly cheap and even cheaper with a travel pass.

If you are moving to Brisbane let me know as we stayed a few nights at a really nice relaxed b&b style place that had a kitchen and living room etc so we didnt have to eat out each night and could actually cook some decent food. It would be worth looking for one wherever you are moving as it can really cut the cost and make you more comfortable, particularly if you have a family.

Enjoy the move...
Old May 1st 2012, 8:23 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Came to Australia in 2006 with £89,000 ($220,000 odd then), temp (student) visas, and a mission, to get PR.

Done the lot before PR and had to go rent a cab in London for 6 weeks, but got there in the end ...

Oh and those figures exclude flights, shipping of stuff plus dog - £10,000 odd
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:56 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot actually, thank crikey, my OH's employer paid for pretty much everything! So, er, one way migration insurance, food whilst in Singapore on our stop over....and er....I'll be back when I can think of something else!