Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
PLUS the mental/emotional cost that no-one can put a figure on.
That is the biggest cost right there.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be completely realistic you should be including things such as the estate agents and solicitors fees if you are selling your house in order to emigrate. Loss of wages for the period you are not working. the loss on cars that you would not otherwise be selling is likely to be heavy. Losses on anything else you do not take with you.

Not sure about the mental/emotional cost though, surely it is a big adventure and something to be relished!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
If you want to be completely realistic you should be including things such as the estate agents and solicitors fees if you are selling your house in order to emigrate. Loss of wages for the period you are not working. the loss on cars that you would not otherwise be selling is likely to be heavy. Losses on anything else you do not take with you.
Agree with this. If we factored in those things our migration would have cost much more
Not sure about the mental/emotional cost though, surely it is a big adventure and something to be relished!
Not for everyone, it's not.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your last comment is right. I have met some pommie immigrants and wonder what the hell they are doing here or why they bothered.

Embrace Australia or don't bother coming
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your last comment is right. I have met some pommie immigrants and wonder what the hell they are doing here or why they bothered.

There is an emotional cost even for a happy immigrant. There are some things that a price canot be put on; like we have young nieces and nephews that hardly know us now. It is a cost, one we chose and we could change if we wanted to, but it is still a cost.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:13 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Did you read all the things I included? Car, rental bond, rent for 3 months upfront, etc.

The actual visa only cost about $3000-3500. It was the other stuff that costs
Yes I did read everything you listed and for a start it comes about $13000 short of $50000.

And again I say, with a car we were well, well short of $50k !!!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Estimate it cost me the best part of 60000 pounds including parent visas
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:26 am
Still alive

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:28 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Yes I did read everything you listed and for a start it comes about $13000 short of $50000.

And again I say, with a car we were well, well short of $50k !!!
Alright then, add in 9 months of unemployment for the main wage earner in our family and the cost of an interstate move and that = well over the $50k I originally quoted.

Either way, some can get by on 200 GBP & the skin on their teeth. Others it costs $50k or more.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Family of 4-Visas,Flights,Container= approx 10,000 pound
Lost wages ie til employed in Australia approx 10,000 pound
Lost money on cars and bad time to sell a house. But after 3+ years with the exchange rate now if we sold the house here and returned to UK we`d be about where we started.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a "happy" immigrant....

But it cost me my soul, my best mate and my professional career

I have no way to go back.. If I could it would be without my husband and four children... So I contiue to be "happy" here
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

If you haven't even qualified yet it's unlikely you're moving here in October 2013. You still need to qualify, get the requisite experience and apply for a visa before you start thinking about things like flights and rental bonds.

Anyway, the total cost of our move was (in $, not GBP)
TRA approximately 900
Visa application 1500
Medicals for 4 of us 1000
Shippers 12000
Flights 6000
Rental bond 6000 (3 months upfront)
Cheap car 5000
Miscellaneous start up (fridge, stocking pantry, etc) 5000

So all up just over $50 000.
Yeah, I'd go with that. I came on a 457, so the visa itself didn't add up to much, but everything else seemed to be emptying my pockets at a Hell of a rate.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Given that people are considering the emotional cost of coming over there are also the emotional/cost/contentious issues of private health cover and private schools. Neither of which your average working family would be considering in the UK. We certainly did not.

before I am shot down a significant percentage of kids are in private schools

around 35% in Australia against 6.5% in the UK although those figures are not really comparable as the Australian versions are more affordable to average people.

I wonder why the 35% and growing number of parents choose to pay. After you have been here a while you might start to get the idea. Part of Australia's charm is that it is a bogan country, it is after all the land of the Ute,hoon, outside entertainment area and sod the neighbours and the behaviour of some of the politicians is on occasions hilarious. It's just that you don't want some of the negative aspects of this affecting your own child too much if they actually want to be educated. Bottom line is private schools are able to kick the rubbish out and deal with issues in ways that the head of a state school can not. There are good state schools of course if you are in the catchment area, good luck if you manage that.

Private health cover is another contentious issue, certainly don't like paying it
but fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it has saved us a whole load of grief. Hopefully we won't need to claim again too soon but it will be a long time before our premiums match what we have received.

Australia is a great country but getting the version of it that you want may be slightly more tricky and costly than you think.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

empty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I hear you there. For me : possibly my relationship (the jury is still out), a good lucrative (if very stressful) career, and three years of unhappiness. Yet, I doggedly cling on to getting my sodding PR. I must be a masoschist.
Are you happy now having taken the plunge, or you wish you could reverse it?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Annemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really nice

If you haven't even qualified yet it's unlikely you're moving here in October 2013. You still need to qualify, get the requisite experience
I think you should do your research before making silly comments like these first. You know NOTHING about our circumstances

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.