Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Annemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really nice
Default How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Looks like we are emigrating next year oct 2013 just wondered how much it has cost people to emigrate?

I.e flights (family of 4) I'm prices not out yet for oct 13 but I'm thinking between 2000-2500 for a OW?
Moving of furniture
Bond on rental accommodation?
Visas

Thanks in advance
Annemarie

Last edited by Annemarie24; Apr 20th 2012 at 4:05 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:29 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much did it actually cost you roughly to emigrate?

Originally Posted by Annemarie24
Looks like we are emigrating next year oct 2013 just wondered how much it has cost people to emigrate?

I.e flights (family of 4) I'm prices not out yet for oct 13 but I'm thinking between 2000-2500 for a OW?
Moving of furniture
Visas

Thanks in advance
Annemarie
Flights this Aug are costing us £2.7k including 2 nights in singers. £2.4k without and Malaysia were about £200 cheaper

A 20ft sole use container to Adelaide is looking at around £4k.

rental bond will depend on the rental level. Most properties I've seen on Realestate.com state the amount of bond required.

Visas (and whether or not you qualify is probably more pertinent ) about £2.5K all in including skills assessment, medicals, new passports etc. this was for a 176 visa.

Not cheap and that doesn't include the 5 weeks of short term furnished accomm we've booked for arrival and initial car hire, getting an Oz driving licence etc etc
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Annemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really niceAnnemarie24 is just really nice

:blink
Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Flights this Aug are costing us £2.7k including 2 nights in singers. £2.4k without and Malaysia were about £200 cheaper

A 20ft sole use container to Adelaide is looking at around £4k.

rental bond will depend on the rental level. Most properties I've seen on Realestate.com state the amount of bond required.

Visas (and whether or not you qualify is probably more pertinent ) about £2.5K all in including skills assessment, medicals, new passports etc. this was for a 176 visa.

Not cheap and that doesn't include the 5 weeks of short term furnished accomm we've booked for arrival and initial car hire, getting an Oz driving licence etc etc
wow!!! Thank you for that!! Xx
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Our costs in GBP

Visa - £3k
Flights - £5k (2 people business class)
Container - £5.5k (40 ft container)
Cats transportation - £3k
Temporary accommodation - £4.5k (five weeks Sydney CBD apartment)
Rental bond - £3k (estimated at FX rate at the time which was about 1.7).

Points I would note, I think my visa costs of £3k are well below average, especially with the exchange rate being so much worse than it was at the time I applied. The application fee alone would be £2k now, medicals are also more expensive as there are fewer doctors doing them. I would recommend assuming a minimum of £4k.

Of course you do not need to spend as much on flights, but I think the lower end of your estimate is quite optimistic, seems like the OW are more like £600 - £700, although of course you might spot a good deal.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annemarie24

Moving of furniture
Visas

Thanks in advance
Annemarie
If you haven't even qualified yet it's unlikely you're moving here in October 2013. You still need to qualify, get the requisite experience and apply for a visa before you start thinking about things like flights and rental bonds.

Anyway, the total cost of our move was (in $, not GBP)
TRA approximately 900
Visa application 1500
Medicals for 4 of us 1000
Shippers 12000
Flights 6000
Rental bond 6000 (3 months upfront)
Cheap car 5000
Miscellaneous start up (fridge, stocking pantry, etc) 5000

So all up just over $50 000.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

1st time I came on a WH visa in 2008. Cost £50. Flight £500. When I got sponsorship on 457 I sold all my things in England and bought them back here for roughly the same amounts. Total emigration cost £550. :-)

2nd time in 2011. My wife came out a month before me as she started a job and I lined up a job before I got here as well. Also we had all our items from 1st time I lived here in storage.

spouse Visa £2000
flights for 2 £1000
deposit for house £1250
1 months rent £1250
1 months expenses £2000

Altogether then we needed £7500 and that was with us both having jobs to go to. More than what I thought.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:55 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martin1978
1st time I came on a WH visa in 2008. Cost £50. Flight £500.
very similar back in '98 only my flight cost me £600.

On the othe hand you could argue that emigrating cost me a relationship, a good career and opportunity loss from not riding the UK housing bubble as far as I could have.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

empty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DadAgain

On the othe hand you could argue that emigrating cost me a relationship, a good career and opportunity loss from not riding the UK housing bubble as far as I could have.
Sorry for stepping in but let me take this opportunity to ask a question related to this.

Apart from just one time cost like airfare, bond etc, how much does it cost per month for a family of three including a kid of 3.5 year. I am basically interested in planning for cash till job is secured. What about allowance for baby from Centrelink, I guess waiting period of 2 years does not apply in that case. Of course, cost depends upon lifestyle, location etc, but I am interested in minimum cash I should be planning to bring along to survive during initial months in Australia.

Thank you.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:25 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2008 we estimated that it had cost us the best part of £25K...

This included Trades assessment, Visa, medicals, house sale fees (we would have stayed put if we weren't moving to Aus), airline fees, with stopovers in LA and NZ, Short term rental, Rental bond, Buying a new car that was waaaay more expensive in Australia, Transporting the Dog, and the household effects (which, IMO is absolutely essential!)......

Today the cost of shipping is £500 or so more, the dog, well I've not even began to to look at that. We're probably going to take the car, but that remains to be seen. and airfare is around £900 each, which tbh is about the same. I'm only grateful I don't have a house to sell and I don't have to apply for a visa again!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by empty
Sorry for stepping in but let me take this opportunity to ask a question related to this.

Apart from just one time cost like airfare, bond etc, how much does it cost per month for a family of three including a kid of 3.5 year. I am basically interested in planning for cash till job is secured. What about allowance for baby from Centrelink, I guess waiting period of 2 years does not apply in that case. Of course, cost depends upon lifestyle, location etc, but I am interested in minimum cash I should be planning to bring along to survive during initial months in Australia.

Thank you.
That type of budget is really one you need to try and cobble together yourself, the accommodation is the main expense and this varies massively depending upon which state you live in and where you live within that state. For everything else, well take your current monthly expense in £ and multiply by 2.5 and you should be near enough in $.

But it really is those initial costs that can get very large, especially when people are spending their £ savings initially which doesn't go as far as it did 3 years ago.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:32 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you haven't even qualified yet it's unlikely you're moving here in October 2013. You still need to qualify, get the requisite experience and apply for a visa before you start thinking about things like flights and rental bonds.

Anyway, the total cost of our move was (in $, not GBP)
TRA approximately 900
Visa application 1500
Medicals for 4 of us 1000
Shippers 12000
Flights 6000
Rental bond 6000 (3 months upfront)
Cheap car 5000
Miscellaneous start up (fridge, stocking pantry, etc) 5000

So all up just over $50 000.
Over $50,000 ??????? Am I missing something here ?

Didn't cost us anywhere near this amount in 2005. We did the visa app ourselves and we shipped over a container......looks like costs have gone up a lot !!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:36 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I hear you there. For me : possibly my relationship (the jury is still out), a good lucrative (if very stressful) career, and three years of unhappiness. Yet, I doggedly cling on to getting my sodding PR. I must be a masoschist.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

Didn't cost us anywhere near this amount in 2005. We did the visa app ourselves and we shipped over a container......looks like costs have gone up a lot !!!!!
You might be missing all the things on the breakdown provided?

Mine adds up to £24k too, I guess it depends what you include, my visa app and container was £8.5k, so it is a lot lower if you limit it to that.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

Did you read all the things I included? Car, rental bond, rent for 3 months upfront, etc.

The actual visa only cost about $3000-3500. It was the other stuff that costs
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Sept 2011, rough cost for 2 adults + 3 children + dog= £20,000 + $10,000 for getting a cheap car and food/rent until I got a job(approx 4 weeks).

PLUS the mental/emotional cost that no-one can put a figure on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.