Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much to cover costs till I get established

how much to cover costs till I get established

Old May 22nd 2011, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

stevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nice
Default how much to cover costs till I get established

hi people, my family and I are planning to move to Australia. I am a fully qualified carpenter. I was just wondering how much money I would need to cover costs such as rent, food etc till I can find a stable job as I am going to be applying for an un-sponcered visa. I am hoping to settle in Queensland but unsure of which area so any info on nice areas to bring up 2 kids aged 5 and 1 would be much appreciated. Also wondering what the job opportunities for carpenters are like if there are many available or if they are scarce at the moment? Steven.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: how much to cover costs till I get established

You'll probably need to allow for 6 months outlay just in case you don't find what your looking for or it's harder than what you anticipate.

Rent alone you'll probably need to allow for 6 months deposit to ensure you get a rental.

Rent per week $400 depends on what you want to rent
Food for 4 per week $250 could be less if you shop around.

Others will chip in with other costs e.g car, utilities etc.

As you will see it's not cheap even on a budget.

It would be alot easier if you have a job to go to before arriving.
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

stevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nice

thank you for the reply.

So if I was to go unsponcered I am really lookin at least $20,000 in the bank to be sure.

I have a few contacts so I will see if they could possibly speak to someone that could sponcer me.

Any Ideas on where to settle? cheers steven.
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stevie87db
thank you for the reply.

So if I was to go unsponcered I am really lookin at least $20,000 in the bank to be sure.

I have a few contacts so I will see if they could possibly speak to someone that could sponcer me.

Any Ideas on where to settle? cheers steven.
Some people have done it on alot less but it's best to be prepared for the worst case.

There are good and bad points with sponsorship it depends on what your looking for. Sponsorship = 6-8 weeks application where as Pr visa can take 18 months.

I can't really advise you where to settle as I only know Perth, although I like it. WA seems to be the place for work at the moment due to the mines.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Mate,
2 adults and three kids (6,5 and 2) and we struggle to spend less than $350 / week on food (kids' packed lunches etc are expensive).
Your eldest might want to be in a sports club. Ours are in Dance and swimming = about $200 / month each.
You will need at least one car. Fuel is cheaper but I'm spending three as much as I was in the UK because of distance travelled.
You will need medical and dental fees which will be about the same as your Council Tax.
I think your trade will help you find work but without a definite job you're taking a big risk unless you have plenty of money to fall back on.
We recently moved to Brisbane but had I not had immediate employment we would have been stuffed financially.
Feel free to PM me if you like.
Oh, I love it here because it's worked out for us
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi people, my family and I are planning to move to Australia. I am a fully qualified carpenter. I was just wondering how much money I would need to cover costs such as rent, food etc till I can find a stable job as I am going to be applying for an un-sponcered visa. I am hoping to settle in Queensland but unsure of which area so any info on nice areas to bring up 2 kids aged 5 and 1 would be much appreciated. Also wondering what the job opportunities for carpenters are like if there are many available or if they are scarce at the moment? Steven.
OMG I'll swap you to live in Stirling any day!
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

When we initially had a rental it was in Jimboomba, there is a lot of housing going up there over about 10 years I think from memory and building work was going on everywhere esp the Flagstone area near Jimboomba also Greenbank nearby. It's about 40 mins from the Gold Coast and just south of Brisbane.

We used the rental there as a base to look at houses and areas and it was a pretty good base.

If you look on www.realestate.com.au it'll give you prices for houses and rentals in the area. Just had quick look and there are new houses to buy from $299k and others on there just have a look. Rentals on there for 3 bed are from $330pw

We are in NSW now but I still pass through Jimboomba a couple of times per year and stay at Greenbank and there looked to be lots of building work going on when I was up last in December.

Wendy