Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much to change up dilemma!!

How much to change up dilemma!!

Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:58 pm
Badge

Default How much to change up dilemma!!

Let me say that again :How much to change up?

I have a really cheap overdraft in the UK - massive limit and it only costs me 20 bucks a month. No fees.
By the time I jump ship just before Christmas, I will have anl overdraft of say 2GBP. Come to think of it I have a small overdraft NOW.

SO I may change up all my flat sale money. cos:

a) I will not be earning any more pounds
b) I maximise my dollars - the rate will drop towards Chrimbo.
c) My UK debt will become easier to service as the Strayan dollar strengthens - and from now, I can only expect to earn dollars
not pounds. So fix debts in UK, not start them in Straya:
d) in any case, I CAN (easily) get credit in UK, not Straya.

Many of you will say:
increased cost of living (in many areas) + lower Strayan wages = means UK debt NOT a good idea

BUT we need cashflow around New Year to pay for utes, 2nd cars, insurance, rental property, house deposits and fees.

Anyone else making mad calculations on the back of a fag packet? Whilst your partner says, "Don't forget the holiday", "don't forget that bill", or "that one"
in order to work out what to "change up"?

"[My head] is spinning around"

For many of you, this recent FX business means, it will be oh well, "I've have to forgo the East facing sun deck", have to get the 1.6 instead of the 1.8 Accord,
but for some of us it makes the difference between whether we can hit the ground running - and one of us may have to
if we can't afford that 2nd hand banger that gets one of us to the shops whilst the other is in the ute looking for work etc..

;-)

Decisions, decisions

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 8th 2003 at 1:12 pm.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:01 pm
WBB

good post badge, sums it up really.

money is'nt everything but it is v v important.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:16 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yea Ive done the scribbling down calculations on whatever is available at the time and suddenly getting a panic attack about the exchange rate and working it all out again on my mobile phones calculator.
We are not going to be wealthy by any means in NZ we will just be getting more or less what we have here.
I keep trying to work out how we can go about buying the cars we will need without leaving ourselves with another flippin mortgage. I had heard it is quite difficult to get finance on cars as a new imigrant so that will be a big bite out of our house capital straight away

Last edited by sky; Nov 7th 2003 at 6:19 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:28 pm
Badge

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sky
Yea Ive done the scribbling down calculations on whatever is available at the time and suddenly getting a panic attack about the exchange rate and working it all out again on my mobile phones calculator.
[QUOTE]

SNAP!!

Rechecking on the train on your mobile phone on the way to work. Of course mobile phone calculators are so fiddly that you end up using the wrong "subtotal" and having to start over. Doesn't do much for your blood pressure.

Badge

Another "me too" post.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that does the job for you.

It is a self extracting zip file, once you have downloaded it, doubleclick it and you will find it on c:\

I have checked it for viruses, its clean.
Attached Files
File Type: exe
moneycalc.exe (80.0 KB, 68 views)
Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:13 pm
Badge

Originally posted by philj6969

It is a self extracting zip file, once you have downloaded it, doubleclick it and you will find it on c:\

Thanks

I should know better (being a VBA expert myself)

If you copy the column, (careful - don't mess up the formulae) you can then introduce and save "scenarios" alongside each other.

Glad I didn't have to pay estate agents fees! They seemed high.

I added rows to assist me with homes : I added columns like
a) house price
b) Min deposit needed assuming 20pc
c) Max percentage of home owned with x amount of money put down

and so on

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Nov 8th 2003 at 1:11 pm.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much to change up dilemma!!

Originally posted by badgersmount
Let me say that again :How much to change up?

"[My head] is spinning around"

.....if we can't afford that 2nd hand banger that gets one of us to the shops whilst the other is in the ute looking for work etc..

;-)

Decisions, decisions

Badge
Yeh, good post, it seemed like I'd be living like a king about 12 months ago . But as the house prices rise the dollars come down, the vis is yet here, its doesn't look quite as rosey and I find myself doing similar sums.

But should we be ?...aren't we going for the quality of life.
The rest I'll work itself out.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Its late I'm not really dyslexic!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 11:36 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by philj6969

Great work - thanks