Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much cash people?!

How much cash people?!

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice
Default How much cash people?!

Hello People!

Well the time has come - at last at last!! I've been granted the visa and the panic has set in!

Turning as I always do to my ever present fountains of knowledge, I'm after some best and worst stories about how much money you guys actually moved with...?

Single gal moving to Perth, staying with buddies til I get my own place (rental - Rockinhgam), and hopefully get a job salary cica $70-80k.

What you think....? Do I need to sell a kidney??

Boo
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much cash people?!

Congratulations!

I have moved this to the Oz forum for you. Keep your kidney.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice

Ooops! Thank you..

And thanks for the kidney advice...I prefer to keep both...just in case..!

Boo
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:57 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boo2008
Hello People!

Well the time has come - at last at last!! I've been granted the visa and the panic has set in!

Turning as I always do to my ever present fountains of knowledge, I'm after some best and worst stories about how much money you guys actually moved with...?

Single gal moving to Perth, staying with buddies til I get my own place (rental - Rockinhgam), and hopefully get a job salary cica $70-80k.

Boo
staying with friends till you get a place- if you can make the most of that until you have a job, and then perhaps give it a further 4 weeks or so to find a place....then I reckon "she'll be right". Assuming that you will have no accommodation costs for a couple of months, and also assuming that you'll be near public transport, then $500 per week for...e.g. 8 weeks will be more than enough. However you will also need to pay a "bond" on your rental, so add on another 4 x week's worth of rent. And you may also need to buy some bits and pieces of furniture too... so add on another $3 - $5k. All up, I'd say that $10k will be plenty if you can get a job and a place to stay within 2months.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, if I was a single gal on my own with no ties, friends to stay with and a visa in me pocket I'd be leaving NOW...

you got the bus fare from the airport to the nearest station on the mandurah line, then the train fare down to shockingham... Or a mate to collect you ....?

How much have you got?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How much cash people?!

Boo
Better to sell someone else's kidney. That way, you get a ton of cash and you still have two kidneys.

We came over with ~£5,000. That was fine for us, but I think some people might be comfortable with more.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

A lot depends on how soon you start working. If it's a dead cert so to speak and your a nurse or something that will be easily snapped up i should go with $ 10,000 minimun and things should be reasonably okay.
If work not as clear cut then really hard to advice but at least double that. Perth as you'll be aware is not a cheap place and as a newby you'll be out and about a lot those first weeks.......Godd Luck
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hey peeps!

Thanks for the advice....and should I ask why 'Shockingham'..?!

I've got about £3000 - thats without selling anything that I won't be moving with!

Perhaps a good few boot sales are in order..it would ruin it a little if I went over and was non-stop stressing about running out of money. Have to explore my new surroundings and introduce myself to the local wine no?!?

I've also heard that as a newbie you will generally spend slightly more due to the just-off-boat status haha! (I'm offended!)

Boo
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey peeps!

Thanks for the advice....and should I ask why 'Shockingham'..?!

I've got about £3000 - thats without selling anything that I won't be moving with!

Perhaps a good few boot sales are in order..it would ruin it a little if I went over and was non-stop stressing about running out of money. Have to explore my new surroundings and introduce myself to the local wine no?!?

I've also heard that as a newbie you will generally spend slightly more due to the just-off-boat status haha! (I'm offended!)

Boo

what line of work are you in? I affectionately call it shockingham, because of the look you see o. Some peoples faces when you tell them you live there... Theres a FB page dedicated to it lol... i love it here... But search the threads on where to live in perth and you'll find PLENTY of claptrap abput the place...

Last edited by eddie007; Sep 23rd 2011 at 3:27 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007
what line of work are you in? I affectionately call it shockingham, because of the look you see o. Some peoples faces when you tell them you live there... Theres a FB page dedicated to it lol... i love it here... But search the threads on where to live in perth and you'll find PLENTY of claptrap abput the place...
Ok I'm on it! Thought it was lovely when I was there last year

I'm in the social work line of work just now (don't judge me please..!). Had some discussions with employers for court and/or corrections type posts so hoping to get somewhere with that. Would of course be ideal to maybe have something in the pipeline before I go but I guess everyone wants that!

I'll go have a peek at that FB page...

Boo