Reload this Page >

How much cash can I bring to Australia

How much cash can I bring to Australia

Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Addy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much cash can I bring to Australia

Hi,

We are moving to Adelaide in May on a 475 visa. I just wanted to know how much maximum cash can we take to Australia. I did check other threads and from that I gather it's AUD 10K. Is this a per person limit or me and my wife can collectively bring 10K. Thanks for your responses in advance.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:52 am
Just Joined

mikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nicemikewatts is just really nice
Default Re: How much cash can I bring to Australia

Originally Posted by Addy_1
Hi,

We are moving to Adelaide in May on a 475 visa. I just wanted to know how much maximum cash can we take to Australia. I did check other threads and from that I gather it's AUD 10K. Is this a per person limit or me and my wife can collectively bring 10K. Thanks for your responses in advance.
You can bring upto AUD 10K each person. If you bring more than 10K per person, you have to declare at the Customs that you carry more than 10K per person
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:51 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

Why would u want to bring 10 k each when u can transfer it over it only takes a few days less hassle for use .
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:20 am
ABCDiamond

I second the question, why carry $10,000 in banknotes ?

Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:24 am
Just Joined

I already have 10K AUD which I bought when the Oz dollar was at an all time low.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

dont lose your wallet
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

themac is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a money belt, and a guard dog
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

lol!!! Thanks for all your responses.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Addy_1
I already have 10K AUD which I bought when the Oz dollar was at an all time low.
Carry it half and half, you and your wife $5,000 each.

If you have all $10,000, customs may want to count it, as they may not be sure that you don't have more. That may slow down your customs experience.... especially if you have $10,000 plus another £100 in your wallet and that puts you over the $10,000 limit in total

Also if you lose it, you only lose half...

Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you don't declare that you have more money, they can keep the lot! As long as you declare it and have a good reason for lots of money (which moving over of course would be) you would be fine.

But I also would not want to carry anywhere near that amount of money.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:47 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

You can take up to AU$10,000 per person travelling without having to declare it. You can take more than this providing it's declared.

If you do take wads of cash, split it up and carry some on your person (in money belts under your cloths) and some in your suitacases - perhaps a similar amount in each suitcase. Just don't keep it all in one stash.

- CDM
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:32 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Carrying it in a suitcase is a *terrible* idea. How often are suitcases lost on planes (frequently) compared to how often people are stripped of their clothes and money belts stolen on a plane (rarely)?

Why bother going through all those machinations by squrreling away money all over the place (which looks suspicious in itself) instead of just declaring it all in one go? Declaring it won't mean that you pay tax on it, and as the amount isn't gigantic and your reason is perfectly credible and straightforward, I wouldn't have thought your customs guy will look twice.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I second the question, why carry $10,000 in banknotes ?
Why I'd not advocate doing this, the answer to your question is that should I have this amount of dosh on me, I'd feel bloody rich.

And that does not happen often....

Never would do it, but the feeling would be tops!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said, you can bring as much as you want in but need to declare amounts over $10k. If you use the banking system to bring the money in (safer than cash IMHO) then the banks will make the declaration for you if its over $10k
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:13 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Carrying it in a suitcase is a *terrible* idea. How often are suitcases lost on planes (frequently) compared to how often people are stripped of their clothes and money belts stolen on a plane (rarely)?

Why bother going through all those machinations by squrreling away money all over the place (which looks suspicious in itself) instead of just declaring it all in one go? Declaring it won't mean that you pay tax on it, and as the amount isn't gigantic and your reason is perfectly credible and straightforward, I wouldn't have thought your customs guy will look twice.
You've obviously never had to carry large amounts of cash around with you. I'm speaking from experience here.

You're ascertation that you won't loose your money belt on a plane is wrong at best. On a long-haul flight, you'll find that your possessions, along with those of others around you, tend to get strewn around the place and things can easily get mixed up. You are also often asleep when others are awake around you in a confined space. The scope for loss of theft is just as significant inside and aircraft cabin as it is anywhere else.

Also, you don't just magic yourself into the aircraft cabin with your money belt and then out again on the other end. You make your way to the airport and then through the airport until you get on to the plane. You are subject to the risks of loss & theft at these times too.

Splitting your money and placing some in each bag is sound advice. If you break it up into smaller denominations, regardless of where it is, there's far less risk that it'll all go missing at once - which should by far be your biggest concern.

Yes, bags can go missing in transit from time to time but they tend to find their way back to their rightful owners in the end. You certainly have MUCH more chance of a lost suitcase with hidden money finding it's way back to you than a lost money belt full of ready cash.

If you get stopped at customs, simply tell them what you have in your suitcase (they'll ask this question anyway and expect honesty from you) and include the fact that you have money there. Just tell them the honest reason why and they won't bat an eye-lid. There's absolutely nothing illegal or illicit with hiding money in your suitcase.

- CDM

Last edited by CDM; Mar 22nd 2009 at 8:15 am. Reason: Minor grammer correction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.