Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much can you get in a 20ft container?

Wikiposts

How much can you get in a 20ft container?

Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:14 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much can you get in a 20ft container?

For the sake of saving £2000 we would like to get away with a 20ft container rather than a 40ft. We won't get shippers in to quote for a few weeks so just after some general advice.

We have a 4 bedroom house and filled the van when we moved here. But we aren't taking more than a few items of furniture other than what will flat pack.

Do you think tens of boxes of stuff plus flat packed beds & furniture, a large computer desk, washing machine, chest of drawers, 4 bed side tables and a dressing table will fill it? We have 2 sofas that we would take if they fit but they only cost £800 and are a bit shabby so are expendible for example.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How much can you get in a 20ft container?

Dream on........more like 3000 quid!!!

Originally Posted by worzel
For the sake of saving £2000 we would like to get away with a 20ft container rather than a 40ft. We won't get shippers in to quote for a few weeks so just after some general advice.

We have a 4 bedroom house and filled the van when we moved here. But we aren't taking more than a few items of furniture other than what will flat pack.

Do you think tens of boxes of stuff plus flat packed beds & furniture, a large computer desk, washing machine, chest of drawers, 4 bed side tables and a dressing table will fill it? We have 2 sofas that we would take if they fit but they only cost £800 and are a bit shabby so are expendible for example.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Definately should be ok! We had a 4 bedroomed house but were not bringing all our stuff. Had a 20 foot "reefer" booked but they actually turned up with a virtually brand new full 20 foot container!! Weren't going to take the sideboard but couldn't sell it so that came as well. Also an extra sofa came and there was plenty of room to spare. The guys did an excellent job of packing everything in (used Allied Pickfords)
Ruth

ps we had a total of about 150 items when they numbered everything including boxes and furniture.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:35 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 20ft container, fitted an entire detatched 2 Bed bungalow into it (well not the whole bungalow.....just the junk inside of it), including a shed and loft full and garage stuff.

Brought all my furniture, 2 sofas, two handmade pine bedroom suites, 10 ft workbench from garage, 2 kingsize beds etc etc. I ended up leaving the cheap white placcy patio table and then there were 3 boxes (out of a total of about 150 packages/boxes I think) which didn't fit in and were sent on a later split shipment (arrived a week and a hlaf after my main stuff).

Out of all the estimates John Mason (who I ended up using) reckoned on a full 20 ft container with a few boxes over, they were the only one who said it was a cheaper option, the others all suggested a 40 ft container as it would allow more room for extra stuff, glad I didn't listen to them.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:48 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Well, we had the contents of a four bed house, books, books, books, dresser, all kitchen stuff, all china sofa, 2 arm chairs, 3 chests of drawers etc etc etc. Basically everything bar white goods. Plus 3 bikes, 2 prams, the list goes on and there was still space for more stuff - at least another sofa, so you will be fine with 20'.
Good luck
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:03 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I had a 20ft container, fitted an entire detatched 2 Bed bungalow into it (well not the whole bungalow.....just the junk inside of it), including a shed and loft full and garage stuff.

Brought all my furniture, 2 sofas, two handmade pine bedroom suites, 10 ft workbench from garage, 2 kingsize beds etc etc. I ended up leaving the cheap white placcy patio table and then there were 3 boxes (out of a total of about 150 packages/boxes I think) which didn't fit in and were sent on a later split shipment (arrived a week and a hlaf after my main stuff).

Out of all the estimates John Mason (who I ended up using) reckoned on a full 20 ft container with a few boxes over, they were the only one who said it was a cheaper option, the others all suggested a 40 ft container as it would allow more room for extra stuff, glad I didn't listen to them.
That's handy to know, sounds like we could get away with a 20ft one then!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 2:18 am
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bridiej
That's handy to know, sounds like we could get away with a 20ft one then!
PSS reckon on a volume of 1050 cubic feet for a 20' container. If in doubt do a spreadsheet.

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2005, 6:27 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you'll get away with a 20ft.
We're taking most the contents of our 3 bed detatched, all the large items are going aswell as about 50 boxes.
We're only leaving our fridge freezers, cooker and condenser dryer.
We've been told we'll use about 2/3rds of a 20ft container.
If in doubt contact a local company for an estimate, they'll come out and assess the space you need. Then you can pass the info onto other companies for a definate quote.
Marie
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

PSS said we wouldn't have enough room in 20 but we kept with it and basically said if it dont fit it aint going. All in and still room for another sofa+. Of course it must be hard to judge just looking at the house. We didn't have a lot of nick nacks though as I dont do ornaments only special ones with meaning.

Jo
Old Jun 19th 2005, 3:03 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumbo
PSS reckon on a volume of 1050 cubic feet for a 20' container. If in doubt do a spreadsheet.

Cheers
I thought about that but how much do you have to allow for packaging? Also, how many t-chests and of what size would be typical for all the little things that add up to a lot?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 3:05 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by johnnet
Dream on........more like 3000 quid!!!
I meant £2000 extra to go from a 20ft to a 40ft. Did you mean £3000 for a 20ft because I am assuming £4000 for a 20ft or £6000 for a 40ft including insurance?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 3:10 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
If in doubt contact a local company for an estimate, they'll come out and assess the space you need. Then you can pass the info onto other companies for a definate quote.
Marie
We will do that when my wife gives up work in 2 weeks Marie. But on the basis of these answers we can now meet them on the basis of "Quote for 20ft and then tell us if it won't fit" rather than "Quote for 40ft".

As flying banana said, I imagine they will try and push us towards a 40ft so they earn more but now feel better prepared for negotiations.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

We will do that when my wife gives up work in 2 weeks Marie. But on the basis of these answers we can now meet them on the basis of "Quote for 20ft and then tell us if it won't fit" rather than "Quote for 40ft".

As flying banana said, I imagine they will try and push us towards a 40ft so they earn more but now feel better prepared for negotiations.

Thanks everyone.

Just a thought for our own future planned move.... all the household goods in a containers...what is the situation regrading import duties, wooden items ie picture frames, sofa and chairs wooden frames etc,. which we have been told need to be treated in Aus before "they" release them.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

We have the same dilemma, a 4 bed house and have been told by 3 different companies that we have about 1200 cuft of stuff.... 200cuft over a 20ft container ( a 40ft container is 2000 cuft (roughly)).. we will be taking a lot of furniture, with out giving you the entire contents of our house.. we are taking 3 sofas, bedroom furninture (but only 1 small wardrobe) a dining suite and dresser, book cases, tumble dryer... and washing machine.. and all the other bits and pieces..

Think we will pay the extra to send stuff separately if there is anything we desparately want to take.. aware it could be as much as £1000 for that extra 200cuft...

Good luck

Julie
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:47 pm
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

I thought about that but how much do you have to allow for packaging? Also, how many t-chests and of what size would be typical for all the little things that add up to a lot?
The quotes I had made different but similar assumptions about the volume available. The nominal size is 8x8x20 feet so I assume their available volume allows for packing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.