Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

I'm not minding it either, as I have hardly had to go outside, and when I do I'm usually lucky that it's stopped, and I just get straight into the car. I love being all bundled up inside and hearing the rain on our roof, except that it is a bit cold, esp in the morning.

Pascal on the other hand... bikes to work and back everyday(20 mins)... :scared:
He is of course used to rain, though not this much, and he doesn't even have mudguards on his bike
He's been pretty lucky till now though, most days there's been a dry patch when he had to go.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:56 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Flippin' chucked it down last night!
The noise woke me up at about 3 in the morning. I got up, had a look out the window, & the street was like a river.

No thunder though.
I love a good thunderstorm! God's got some explaining to do, giving us rain like that without one!!
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:20 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

This steady rain will do wonders for our dams, so is really a cause for celebration. If the run-off fills Mundaring Weir to the point where it overflows, choose a nice day and take a picnic up there, it's an awesome sight.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:34 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
This steady rain will do wonders for our dams, so is really a cause for celebration. If the run-off fills Mundaring Weir to the point where it overflows, choose a nice day and take a picnic up there, it's an awesome sight.
I'd love to see Mundaring Weir overflow, but I reckon it'll take rain of biblical proportions for it to happen. I was up there a few weeks ago and it was really really low.

I was chatting to some of the locals over a beer in the MW Hotel & they said it was an awesome sight as well. They reckoned though, that with climate change etc. it'll never happen again...
Let's hope they're wrong.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
I'd love to see Mundaring Weir overflow, but I reckon it'll take rain of biblical proportions for it to happen. I was up there a few weeks ago and it was really really low.

I was chatting to some of the locals over a beer in the MW Hotel & they said it was an awesome sight as well. They reckoned though, that with climate change etc. it'll never happen again...
Let's hope they're wrong.
I saw it in the late 80's - incredible.

I was thinking about all this as I drove to work. The thing is, the water corporation has 2 sources of water, the dams and the underground aquifer - the Gnangarra Mound.

If it rains loads they will simply take from the dams exclusively, as it is a cheaper source of water than the aquifers. So, unless it absolutely buckets down for several years winters I think the dams will always be half full at best as they are Perth's primary source of cheap water.

That's why in the summer, as they switch to aquifer water, you notice a strange, different taste to the water.

Also, did you know, they pump water in to Mundaring wier from another dam, to ensure it doesn't run dry.

Here is a good story about Perth's water:

http://weboffice.uwa.edu.au/accessibility
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:06 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Originally Posted by renth
Here is a good story about Perth's water:

http://weboffice.uwa.edu.au/accessibility
Hi Renth.
The link you posted just takes me to a UWA site about building websites??
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Just watching the game. How much rain

I'd just like to ask if anyones watched a wet game from the G or the Telsra dome yet this year
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hi Renth.
The link you posted just takes me to a UWA site about building websites??
It's good though isn't it? - that's the accessibility toolkit that I put together. My mistake.

Here's the link:

http://www.viacorp.com/perth_water.htm
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I'd just like to ask if anyones watched a wet game from the G or the Telsra dome yet this year
If not, watch this afternoon
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:37 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i'm really confused....

i opened the door this morning and there's all this wet stuff on the floor??! i haven't seen this since... oh... erm.. march?

I don't know what to do now! it's too cold to strip and start dancing, maybe i should just go for a ride in it to celebrate!

(i can't believe i said that! i must be turning into a canberra-ite)

enjoy it folks.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:42 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by scutterUK
i'm really confused....

i opened the door this morning and there's all this wet stuff on the floor??!
:
Did you have a large amount to drink last night Leigh??
Old Jun 11th 2005, 12:06 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hevs
Did you have a large amount to drink last night Leigh??
yeah it must be that... it's probably more likely than it being rain!!