Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:20 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

Well after a sleepless night of thundering and lightening and the sound of footballs bouncing off the roof and the electric tripping out about 2am I awake (sort of) to more rain. Just how much can it rain?
In preparation for the rain we drained a bit of the pool and now that is overflowing so there's about 4/5 inches overnight and now more and I thought I saw a glimmer or blue sky and sun.
Oh well no rest for the wicked must go out down to Osbourne park for floor tiles stuck behind the Aussies on the freeway who think driving conditions are so bad they drive at a crawl, god help them if they ever met snow!

Jenny
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

I think last night/this morning about 6.30am was the worst rain I have seen since being here. It was as though someone took the plug out.

Blue skies again now though needles to day.

Diane
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:31 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

god help them if they ever met snow!
LOL!!

Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a Toronto and called out the armed forces! LOL

(This really happened... pah..weak, scared Torontonians... come to Montreal and we'll show you REAL snow!)

Siren
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:21 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Same up here, in the last 24 hrs I have collected 58mm in my rain guage.

I now know why they call Geraldton the windy city. we are right in the ocean and our little bit of coast faces n/w so we are copping the wind and rain pretty bad. The power lines out the back were smashing together last night and I was stuck in the laundry (which is an outhouse the other side of the garden) unable to get back because balls of white fire were bouncing accross my garden towards my main building. Never in my life have I been so scared, I was trying to call the police so they could get a road block up but the walkabout phone reception isn't too good in the laundry so I just had to run for it. I think I came as close to having a heart attack as you can without having one. a bit later the street power went out (ours stayed on fortunately so it was pitch black, peeing with rain and fire and I had to go out in it to lock up the property.

Just to top it off the lovely hubby is out at the Abrolhos Islands and has been for 4 days (long weekend and very busy, he sure knows when to take a holiday) he very kindly took my wet weather coat so I have been soaked to the underware 4 times in the last day and now have the sniffles oh and I fell down the stairs because they were wet and slippery.

All in all probably the best day of my life so far yesterday :scared:

Kala (in desperate need of a large JD and lay in)
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:29 am
Badge

A recent post of mine showed that, from the BOM site, in winter Perth gets something like 4 times the rain that the other capitals gets - (or - 4 times the amount it gets in the autumn, one of the 2) it absolutely PISSES down - (I hear at night). The rain starts after an average of practically none in the autumn.

It was the most remarkable thing I discovered about climate.

badge

Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:40 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Badge
A recent post of mine showed that, from the BOM site, in winter Perth gets something like 4 times the rain that the other capitals gets - (or - 4 times the amount it gets in the autumn, one of the 2) it absolutely PISSES down - (I hear at night). The rain starts after an average of practically none in the autumn.

It was the most remarkable thing I discovered about climate.

badge

That is soo true, I moved to Geraldton in October and saw not a drop of rain until March, the 1st rain was amazing it totally cleared the air and put all the dust back on the ground. since then we have had a fair bit, loads of really good thunderstorms, and a lot of wind

Kala
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Could someone blow the clouds this way as i've just coughed up for water again today
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:40 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hevs
Could someone blow the clouds this way as i've just coughed up for water again today

Its stopped! or appears to have stopped. I managed Balcatta and Osbourne park without incident but i suppose that has to do with it drying up. I did however get some dread locked loon in a magna trying to undertake me and the huge lorry infront of me by going on the hard shoulder! I would love to know what they actually teach you over here when you learn to drive! Some of the stupid death stunts they pull on the freeways here must be learnt from somewhere?

Oh well safe back at home for now, waiting for another rain cloud.

jenny
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:42 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by jensteve
Its stopped! or appears to have stopped. I managed Balcatta and Osbourne park without incident but i suppose that has to do with it drying up. I did however get some dread locked loon in a magna trying to undertake me and the huge lorry infront of me by going on the hard shoulder! I would love to know what they actually teach you over here when you learn to drive! Some of the stupid death stunts they pull on the freeways here must be learnt from somewhere?

Oh well safe back at home for now, waiting for another rain cloud.

jenny

you got more coming but doesn't look too bad at the moment

I spend my life watching this site at the mo to see when I can try and get the sheets dry

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.loop.shtml

Kala
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It's chucking it down again, and will continue to do so.
Storms predicted for the coming days.

It's going to be 16 degrees on Thursday.

Had the heater on last night(have to trying to last as long as possible with out it...), and the heater on at work today.

In the shower I get that 'frozen hands on heater' feeling. I don't know how I'm going to keep showering in the cold like this, without even a warm towel. I think I'll have to buy one of those 'oil heaters' for the bathroom....

Geez I'm a wimp, it's still 10 degrees or more outside. But soon it will be 0 sometimes, and more often 5 degrees...!!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:52 pm
Moved out bush!

Geez I'm a wimp, it's still 10 degrees or more outside. But soon it will be 0 sometimes, and more often 5 degrees...!![/QUOTE]

What are you trying to do to me, I am sat here fingers frozen tapping away on my keyboard and you say its going to get colder!!! :scared:

The most weird thing about this is though my thermometer is telling me its 70 deg and I feel frozen. Think I have aclimatised a little too well.

Jenny
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Simone]
In the shower I get that 'frozen hands on heater' feeling. I don't know how I'm going to keep showering in the cold like this, without even a warm towel. I think I'll have to buy one of those 'oil heaters' for the bathroom....

[QUOTE]

11 fin oil heater - $69
5 fin oil heater - $39

You just gotta love WA Salvage!!

I spent the afternoon digging a big hole to install a couple of soakwells. Bloody hole was so deep, I couldnt get out - had to dig me a little step

Just to top it off, I had only gone and bought the wrong pipe as well!!

I just hope there is no rain tonight - what time does Bunnings open - 7 is it??!?!?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless
11 fin oil heater - $69
5 fin oil heater - $39

I spent the afternoon digging a big hole to install a couple of soakwells. Bloody hole was so deep, I couldnt get out - had to dig me a little step

Just to top it off, I had only gone and bought the wrong pipe as well!!

I just hope there is no rain tonight - what time does Bunnings open - 7 is it??!?!?
Yep, good prices, saw some for $49 in Kmart I think. Will have to go compare.

Well, it's raining now....

Yeah, Bunnings is 7-7.
Good luck with your soakwell
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:06 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

[QUOTE=darkless][QUOTE=Simone]

11 fin oil heater - $69
5 fin oil heater - $39

Thats great, gonna get my butt down WA salvage in the morning, still not cold up here but wont be long and my bathroom doesn't have a propper window just them slatts that are so old they are rusted open.

I heard last week that WA salvage are owned by west farmers (who also own bunnings) and they are closing down WA slavages later in the year??????????
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, that's it...

I'm tearing the visa up.

This precipitation malarkey wasn't mentioned in the DIMIA contract. I was told it NEVER rains in Perth. A bare faced lie if ever I saw one. They are obviously massaging the met office figures to fudge the numbers of applicants.

It's a disgrace. How dare they.

OK...now I've calmed down, does anyone have the web address for the Saharan Immigration Office ?

Thanks

Three Legs

Originally Posted by jensteve
Well after a sleepless night of thundering and lightening and the sound of footballs bouncing off the roof and the electric tripping out about 2am I awake (sort of) to more rain. Just how much can it rain?
In preparation for the rain we drained a bit of the pool and now that is overflowing so there's about 4/5 inches overnight and now more and I thought I saw a glimmer or blue sky and sun.
Oh well no rest for the wicked must go out down to Osbourne park for floor tiles stuck behind the Aussies on the freeway who think driving conditions are so bad they drive at a crawl, god help them if they ever met snow!

Jenny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.