Wikiposts

How much?

Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about
Red face

Bloody heck, that had us worried too, some of those monthly quotes are twice what we pay here..
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:23 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Can you live on $1800/month?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone - very encouraging that I may have got my figures on the high side.

When I started building the budget, I assumed minimum income (ie zero, in case neither of us is working) and maximum(ish) expenditure. Therefore, I think we could probably live quite tolerably on about $2000 month if we had to.

Anya.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by carryon
Bloody heck, that had us worried too, some of those monthly quotes are twice what we pay here..
Carryon, but do you earn GBP55,000?

The best way of doing it is as Yvsie has suggested, as a percentage of wages (I suggest as a % of a weekly or monthly). That way you can actually see where the money is going & if you will be better off in the long run.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:31 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you live on $1800/month?

Originally posted by anya4oz
Thanks for the feedback, everyone - very encouraging that I may have got my figures on the high side.

When I started building the budget, I assumed minimum income (ie zero, in case neither of us is working) and maximum(ish) expenditure. Therefore, I think we could probably live quite tolerably on about $2000 month if we had to.

Anya.
Anya, certainly the petrol (especially if you use public transport to work) & car insurance seem high to me for one car. Our insurance is that much for both cars! BUT - we live in Brisbane. And $200/month on phone & internet charges :scared: , what are you, a geek or something?

Edited - fuel for us is about $150/month with Dagboy driving to work, sorry, was working it out per week .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 18th 2004 at 1:06 am.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

£55,000 A YEAR , in my dreams, you can half that!
an equal standard of living will suffice thank you, and i higher standard of living would also be welcomed!!!!!!!!!!! whoops i'm dreaming again.........
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:43 am
Rocket Scientist

carryon thats my point, some of the figures anya quoted are twice what you pay now, but you would be earning twice as much. IMO, you should be able to live on $55k - you certainly wont be rich & it will depend on your personal tastes etc, but you certainly wont starve .
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:55 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks Mrs D!

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Anya, certainly the petrol (especially if you use public transport to work) & car insurance seem high to me for one car. We use about $60/month in fuel with 2 cars & Dagboy drives to work everyday to the city & our insurance is that much for both cars! BUT - we live in Brisbane.
Yes, I'd thought my petrol estimate was a bit high - am used to paying equiv of $2.25 per litre here in UK! However, I'd assumed we'd be off exploring at weekends & do a fair bit of driving then.

The Gomatilda cost of living calc. thingy does suggest that you need about 40% more to live on in Melbourne as opposed to Brissie....

And $200/month on phone & internet charges :scared: , what are you, a geek or something?
Yes. So is Mr Anya 2 in one house - YIKES! :scared:

I put that in because probably at least one of us will be working from home - so I'd planned to get a fairly beefy broadband connection & a backup dial-up line. I'd also included the cost of cable TV in that, & assumed we'd be phoning family in the UK/USA once a week. We pay equiv of $25 for unlimited dial-up here in the UK which seems like a bargain - I gather it's all a lot more expensive over there though...

Thanks for very useful input - I'll look into the car insurance costs.

Anya.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Thanks Mrs D!

Yes, I'd thought my petrol estimate was a bit high - am used to paying equiv of $2.25 per litre here in UK! However, I'd assumed we'd be off exploring at weekends & do a fair bit of driving then.

The Gomatilda cost of living calc. thingy does suggest that you need about 40% more to live on in Melbourne as opposed to Brissie....

See my edited reply above about our fuel, also we have a 4WD, but yours still seems a fair bit for only weekend usage, as you said, unless you are doing alot of exploring in the country etc & have a large car.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:11 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Edited - fuel for us is about $150/month with Dagboy driving to work, sorry, was working it out per week .
And just so I can get the nomination for the post that does the best job of stating the bleeding obvious, the amount you spend on fuel will rather heavily depend on what sort of car you have and the distances you travel - as well as also being affected by things like aircon.

I drive a 4 wheel drive - have the aircon on at all times all year and in a typical month might put in $180 to do about 1500 km.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by DagBoy
And just so I can get the nomination for the post that does the best job of stating the bleeding obvious, the amount you spend on fuel will rather heavily depend on what sort of car you have and the distances you travel - as well as also being affected by things like aircon.

I drive a 4 wheel drive - have the aircon on at all times all year and in a typical month might put in $180 to do about 1500 km.
FROAD, yes it is bleeding obvious
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:25 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by DagBoy

Quite so - I'd just made a guess on that one...

Your figure above is very useful, though. We're thinking about a 4wd, I'm bound to have the aircon on a lot, so $60 would give us about 500km of driving. About $12/100ks of motoring, then...

Thanks!
Anya.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Quite so - I'd just made a guess on that one...

Your figure above is very useful, though. We're thinking about a 4wd, I'm bound to have the aircon on a lot, so $60 would give us about 500km of driving. About $12/100ks of motoring, then...

Thanks!
Anya.
Its OK Anya, I just locked him back up in the cupboard so he can continue cataloguing his shoes & ties .
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Will "The Dagboy Catalogue" rival the "Next" one, and when will it be published?!!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:17 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How much?

Originally posted by carryon
Now i know this type of question has been asked in various forms before but my wife wishes to see an answer, a ballpark figure will do.
What sort of salary would we need to live comfortably in oz?
lets say for arguments sake Perth.
could a family of 4, {2 adults, one 4 year old and one due soon}, survive on a single income, which would come from my wife who's a nurse, 17 years experience.
We are not extravigant, just the day to day living expensives.
also baring in mind we would have in excess of 90 grand to take with us, so mortgage would be minimal. Mywife checked a few nursing sites and they seem to indicate she could earn 50 to 55 thousand dollars per annum, would this be enough?
Any help from people in oz would be apprieciated.
Yes i have tried a search but cant get the right information were after, please help, to at least put wifes mind at ease in some small way....... thanks.

Hi there,

We are in exactly the same position as yourselves. I am a nurse with 9 years exp. Hubby is going to look after the kids. Hope to have a small to nil mortgage for a nice house in the burbs.
I will be working part - full time depending on wage and what I can get.
Hoping for similar to better standard of living then what we have now, i.e. not bad!!!

We're also going to Perth.
Looks fab!!!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:21 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Its OK Anya, I just locked him back up in the cupboard so he can continue cataloguing his shoes & ties .
Bless....

A man after my own heart with the shoes then....

Anya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.