Wikiposts

How much?

Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about
Default How much?

Now i know this type of question has been asked in various forms before but my wife wishes to see an answer, a ballpark figure will do.
What sort of salary would we need to live comfortably in oz?
lets say for arguments sake Perth.
could a family of 4, {2 adults, one 4 year old and one due soon}, survive on a single income, which would come from my wife who's a nurse, 17 years experience.
We are not extravigant, just the day to day living expensives.
also baring in mind we would have in excess of 90 grand to take with us, so mortgage would be minimal. Mywife checked a few nursing sites and they seem to indicate she could earn 50 to 55 thousand dollars per annum, would this be enough?
Any help from people in oz would be apprieciated.
Yes i have tried a search but cant get the right information were after, please help, to at least put wifes mind at ease in some small way....... thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much?

People there will give the best advice but here's a site you may like to try to give wages indication:
https://www.payscale.com/login.asp

and this one to help with cost of living estimates:
http://gomatilda.com/calculator/index.cfm
Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered this one:
Search for "It's pay time" thread.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

To be honest with you even with 90000 pounds under your belt, if you were looking to live in reasonable areas in Brisbane, you'll be suprised to hear that you'll still need a mortgage of around 80000 pounds.
:scared:
Old Apr 17th 2004, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Advertised nurses wages here in Brisbane seem to vary between around 45-55,000 dollars per annum dependant on experience. This doesnt take account of unsocial hours payments which are similar to uk (though not all private employers pay these).
I am a nurse but only work part time, we (family of 3) would struggle to live on this sort of wage alone here, though of course it depends on your lifestyle! My estimate would be that you need $70,000 to live comfortably, without extravagance, but its very difficult to say, I'm sure people manage with less.
When considering how much you'll have as a deposit on a house dont underestimate how much you'll spend on initial expenses, cars, furniture etc, we've spent quite a bit more than anticipated!! Also if you're going to be living on a fairly strict budget, it may be worth leaving some in the bank for unforseen expenses i.e. trips to uk???
I agree with Sharpy that about the mortgage, we'll be borrowing more than anticipated to buy a modest house in the area we want to be in.
Good luck!
Michaela
Old Apr 17th 2004, 5:09 pm
owieb

Originally posted by carryon
Now i know this type of question has been asked in various forms before but my wife wishes to see an answer, a ballpark figure will do.
What sort of salary would we need to live comfortably in oz?
lets say for arguments sake Perth.
could a family of 4, {2 adults, one 4 year old and one due soon}, survive on a single income, which would come from my wife who's a nurse, 17 years experience.
We are not extravigant, just the day to day living expensives.
also baring in mind we would have in excess of 90 grand to take with us, so mortgage would be minimal. Mywife checked a few nursing sites and they seem to indicate she could earn 50 to 55 thousand dollars per annum, would this be enough?
Any help from people in oz would be apprieciated.
Yes i have tried a search but cant get the right information were after, please help, to at least put wifes mind at ease in some small way....... thanks.
As an indication for Perth and assuming your 90K is pounds, you are only looking at around $220K which not a lot of money. Depending on where you live you could buy a property for that money and be mortgage free or you could put a considerable amount down as a deposit, but I'd say realistically you would be looking at a min of $300K for a good property in a good area, but then it all comes down to personal taste.

You've then got things such as cars to buy, again secondhand cars aren't cheap.

People live off a lot less than $50K and it amazes me how they do it, maybe I'm just too extravagant! But I came here for the lifestyle and not to slave away for nothing.

It's a too difficult question to answer properly as everybody is different. Your standard of comfortable may be different to mine and I know I couldn't live off $50K a year (but then I've got a big mortgage because we didn't have loads of cash to bring and we wanted to live in a nice area etc).

Cost of living is not cheap. FULL STOP!

All you can do is come and see how you get on, maybe come and have a look around, look at the areas, get an idea of how much a house is going to cost, how much a car will cost and how much you are going to need for living expenses.

Last edited by owieb; Apr 17th 2004 at 5:13 pm.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your replys, hasn't helped put our minds a ease though, but cheers for the insight.
Were looking at Perth and Adelaide because housing is cheaper and you certainly get more for your dosh in Perth, the initial plan was my wife works full time{she does part time here} and i become a house husband while the kids are young, save on nursery fees, but if the wages wife are on ar'nt enough maybe i would have to work{i am unskilled by the way} so that could be a hurdle.
If we took 90 grand sterling, i suppose we could rent and have a stash to fall back on.
Lifestyle, well as long as we have a roof over our heads and food, thats fine, would need 2 cars though and just the everyday things. Myfriends uncle lives in WaggaWagga and is on 42thousand, he says they manage very well indeed. Again i realise it's what yourcoming from and what your going to!
S o one more question to throw at anyone in oz.
Is there anyone who IS having a good life on under 50 grand in Australia?
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone who IS having a good life on under 50 grand in Australia?
Does a combined income of $53k count? Mind you we don't have kids, and have a low rent, but though I'm earning a lot less than I was in the UK, I am certainly not on a lower standard of living.
And yes, we're having a good time!
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:50 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

FWIW, I built a ballpark 'housekeeping budget' (that's what we girlies do ) just to see what I thought our basic expenditure was likely to be each month. It assumes costs for 2 of us living in Melbourne, that we run 1 car, own (paid for) a 4 bed/2 bath house, & does not include 'extravagances' such as hols or private med care.

All in AU$ (of course).

2 monthly public transport season tickets 90.00
Petrol 60.00
Car Tax 1 30.00
Car insurance 58.00
House insurance 50.00
Shire rates 70.00
Water rates 60.00
Elec 60.00
Gas 50.00
Groceries, household supplies 600.00
Going out/Entertainment 400.00
Mobile 1 25.00
Mobile 2 25.00
Phone/internet/B-band 180.00
Phone call costs 20.00
Asthma inhaler/medication 20.00

TOTAL about 1800/month.

Dunno if that helps at all - you can work backwards from that to net, & then gross, income required to pay the basic bills.

Anyone living there - would be helpful if you think my estimates are wildly wrong - pls let me know.

Anya.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pollyanna, my wife has just smiled again. so you reckon it can be done! well done.
As i say we dont want a mansion, a boat and all the trappings{although they would be nice}. just what i call an average working class life, were happy to buy cheap home brand products from coles, were not proud! $53,000 combined wages, that is low isn't it?.........
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
FWIW, I built a ballpark 'housekeeping budget' (that's what we girlies do ) just to see what I thought our basic expenditure was likely to be each month. It assumes costs for 2 of us living in Melbourne, that we run 1 car, own (paid for) a 4 bed/2 bath house, & does not include 'extravagances' such as hols or private med care.

All in AU$ (of course).

Petrol 60.00
Car Tax 1 30.00
Car insurance 58.00
House insurance 50.00
Shire rates 70.00
Water rates 60.00
Elec 60.00
Gas 50.00
Mobile 1 25.00
Mobile 2 25.00
Phone call costs 20.00

TOTAL about 1800/month.

Dunno if that helps at all - you can work backwards from that to net, & then gross, income required to pay the basic bills.

Anyone living there - would be helpful if you think my estimates are wildly wrong - pls let me know.

Anya.
Wooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:00 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Wooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
What's that mean, Mrs D...?!

It's OK the shoes etc come out of a different budget (also, we tend to live quite a frugal life, probably mentally still trying to live off student grants etc)

Anya.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:06 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What's that mean, Mrs D...?!

It's OK the shoes etc come out of a different budget (also, we tend to live quite a frugal life, probably mentally still trying to live off student grants etc)

Anya.
Anya, that seems like a lot of money for some of your things, but then I dont live in Melb, so perhaps things are very much more expensive down there.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

All in AU$ (of course).

Petrol 60.00
Car Tax 1 30.00
Car insurance 58.00
House insurance 50.00
Shire rates 70.00
Water rates 60.00
Elec 60.00
Gas 50.00
Mobile 1 25.00
Mobile 2 25.00
Phone call costs 20.00

TOTAL about 1800/month.

Anya.
$1.8k x 12 = 21.6k. Pretty Fair Estimate for a careful budgeter.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:08 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

we are having a good time!

depends on what type of nursing your wife does .....the salary is according to experience...i have been qualified for 20 yrs...shows im an old git!!
....in the hospital i would be on a 1.9 (your wife would be too i think) which i think pays around $24 / hr+...plus unsocial etc... to get on a level 2 or higher you have to have proven post qual courses etc under your belt...and even then they may not be recognised as useful here...i have done a lot of work in the diabetes field of nursing in the uk and want a job in the diabetes unit at freemantle hosp but cos im not a 'credentialed diabetes educator' i didnt get the job that i applied for. i did know it was a long shot though cos had looked into it before we came......
having said that there are numerous nursing posts around so your wife will have no prob getting work here at all...but may possibly not get as much wage as you think...hopefully she will but possibly not.
as far as money you need to live on....
we have been lucky and have no mortgage, have bought 2 cars and everything that we need (but we also shipped a 20ft container out too) with the money that we brought over...but it was >120k!!!!...but do not have a lot left over now
we have 3 kids...one 19...not working and 2 girls 15 and 11...
1 dog and 2 kittens to feed!
with utilities food petrol and basic living we need >$500/week...and thats with no extras for birthdays, hols etc its..just gas, elec, rates h20 rates, house ins, car ins, rego for both cars, food petrol etc...
its not as cheap to live here as i imagined it would be when i was still in the uk...but then again how do you define cheap when you really dont know how much you will be earning and how many out goings you will have???...etc etc...its all relative to what you earn ...well thats how ive based it until i got used to the prices of things and stopped converting....relate everything to how much an hour i get paid...might be the wrong way but its how i did it!

good luck...hope this bit of info helps....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.