Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many years as resident till you can become a citizen?

How many years as resident till you can become a citizen?

Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:00 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many years as resident till you can become a citizen?

Another expat was telling me they have upped the years from 2 to 3 to wait before applicable for Oz Citizenship. This was news to me! We are on a subclass 139 visa. Anyone know the facts?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:07 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How many years as resident till you can become a citizen?

It is currently 2, but increasing to 3 soon

Citizenship

Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:24 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link. Bit of a bummer really - but ce la vie! We were just saying the other day - one year down one to go - oh well! Not that it will make much difference but there are things I need to join for work (agancies etc..) that will not accept me untill I am a citizen! Bugger!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Thanks for that link. Bit of a bummer really - but ce la vie! We were just saying the other day - one year down one to go - oh well! Not that it will make much difference but there are things I need to join for work (agancies etc..) that will not accept me untill I am a citizen! Bugger!
That normally only applies for Federal Government positions I think.

I became eligible in Dec 1988, but still haven't got around to it

Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:12 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That normally only applies for Federal Government positions I think.

I became eligible in Dec 1988, but still haven't got around to it

The agency in my field of work insist that they can enure their clients that everyone on their books are Oz Citizens! Bizarre isn't it!

Do you know at all if this change will affect bond returns and assurers of support comitment times? It was 2 years before - will that go up as well?