Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many TV-stations in Brisbane (and Sydney)

How many TV-stations in Brisbane (and Sydney)

Old Sep 28th 2004, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

attaccante is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many TV-stations in Brisbane (and Sydney)

Does anybody know which TV-stations are located in Brisbane?
it's a bit confusing to figure it out behind the computer cause it seems that every TV station in Australia has an contact-address in Brisbane and that's not what I'm looking for.

I would be grateful if you could explane it a bit for me, I mean is it like the European way where a country has 2 or 3 national TV stations and small local stations for every region or does every city has its own big station?

and to get to the point, do you think it's interesting to work as a (news) camera operator in Brisbane?

I'm also interested to know how many TV-sations Sydney has

Thanks
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:44 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many TV-stations in Brisbane (and Sydney)

Originally Posted by attaccante
Does anybody know which TV-stations are located in Brisbane?

Thanks
ABC, SEVEN, TEN, and NINE definitely have Brisabne locations. ABC is in Toowong, the others are on Mt Cootha. I suspect SBS also has a Brisbane presence. I constantly see ews crews out and around the Brisbane CBD, whether what they are recording is interesting depends on your point of view.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

And not forgetting the best channel of all - Briz31 (It's a community Tv station), comes complete with shaky cameras, bad editing, and cheap homemade adverts. Actually, sometimes It's good for some local motorsport on the weekends

But for a local station, I can never get a very good reception with this channel for some reason.
http://www.cbonline.org.au/index.cfm...d=13,13,6,3166

cheers
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

attaccante is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah that's what I mean
Sydney also has ABC, SEVEN, TEN, and NINE
so how is that, do they broadcast the same things on TV with only a few different programs in a week like instead of 'the life behind the scenes of a Sydney's restaurant' it is 'the life behind the scenes of a Brisbane's restaurant? or do they have totally independent productions, if it's the latter I assume the 1 to 5 ratio in the film industry is much more in balance when we talk about the television industry.

and what about the news, do they see Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne as different countries? I mean 70% of the Belgian news is home news, while the Belgian home news is NO news for all the neighbouring countries like England, France and Holland (and vica versa) and that while the distance is smaller than the distance between Sydney and Brisbane.
I hope you can follow me

I can imagine that these little things seem to stupid to answer, but it's pretty important for me to decide whether to follow my education in Sydney or Brisbane

so again thanks in advance
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by attaccante
Yeah that's what I mean
Sydney also has ABC, SEVEN, TEN, and NINE
so how is that, do they broadcast the same things on TV with only a few different programs in a week like instead of 'the life behind the scenes of a Sydney's restaurant' it is 'the life behind the scenes of a Brisbane's restaurant? or do they have totally independent productions, if it's the latter I assume the 1 to 5 ratio in the film industry is much more in balance when we talk about the television industry.

and what about the news, do they see Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne as different countries? I mean 70% of the Belgian news is home news, while the Belgian home news is NO news for all the neighbouring countries like England, France and Holland (and vica versa) and that while the distance is smaller than the distance between Sydney and Brisbane.
I hope you can follow me

I can imagine that these little things seem to stupid to answer, but it's pretty important for me to decide whether to follow my education in Sydney or Brisbane

so again thanks in advance
In the main, they all broadcast the same programs but have local versions of the news, current affairs programs and sport. Some of the news items would be the same everywhere - like for example Channel Nine political news reports from Canberra or overseas would be broadcast by Channel Nine in every state but locally produced news reports would only be used within that State (unless it was of national interest).

I would say that Sydney would produce more programs than Brisbane. Using Channel Nine as an example again, in Sydney they produce Sixty Minutes which is shown all over Australia. There is no Brisbane version of it.