Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many took/are planning to take nothing?

View Poll Results: What did you take?
Absolutely Everything!
56.76%
Absolutely Nothing!
21.62%
Just a few things by Air Freight
21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

How many took/are planning to take nothing?

Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default How many took/are planning to take nothing?

Just wondered how many people have gone to OZ / NZ with nothing i.e. saved the thousands of pounds shipping costs, sold everything they owned and bought new stuff when they got there?
As most of our stuff is crap and not worth much I must admit I'm tempted, even though I know it'll be a struggle to start again with nowt!

Last edited by cadman; Aug 11th 2003 at 3:54 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:56 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many took/are planning to take nothing?

We're taking as much as will fit into a reefer (20ft container)
We've nominated a couple of larger items that can be left behind and easily replaced the other end (like spare bed, lounge suite etc)
Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:02 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How many took/are planning to take nothing?

Originally posted by cadman
Just wondered how many people have gone to OZ / NZ with nothing i.e. saved the thousands of pounds shipping costs, sold everything they owned and bought new stuff when they got there?
As most of our stuff is crap and not worth much I must admit I'm tempted, even though I know it'll be a struggle to start again with nowt!
Hi

I am getting rid of tons of stuff, but taking a few good pieces of furniture (chest of drawers & 2 beds), and all our kitchen utensils (kettle, toaster, etc). We are not taking any white goods though. And have decided last minute to take the TV.

It is costing us about £1k to take the above, which we think is worth it considering how much it would cost to buy it all from scratch.

Hope this helps you decide

Mel
Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mel.

Would maybe do it if it was about £1k (who with?) but if it's more like £3500 then I'd be inclined to sell it all.

your TV? are you sure it will work in OZ? my cuz in Mbourne told me the vid will but the TV won't
(which is a bummer as we've just bought a new one for £1500!)

Most of our furniture is 1930's, not v.expensive stuff.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:16 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by cadman
Thanks Mel.

Would maybe do it if it was about £1k (who with?) but if it's more like £3500 then I'd be inclined to sell it all.

your TV? are you sure it will work in OZ? my cuz in Mbourne told me the vid will but the TV won't
(which is a bummer as we've just bought a new one for £1500!)

Most of our furniture is 1930's, not v.expensive stuff.
Hi

we got quotes from quite a few people but went with Anglo Pacific in the end as they seem to have a good reputation. You can contact them on 0141 764 1010 (Glasgow branch).

I think our TV will work in Australia if it is hooked up via a video recorder, but I will not know for certain till I get it there and plug it in. It is quite an expensive one so I thought it was worth the risk. Do a search on TV on this forum and you will see there have been a few discussion on this topic.

Please bear in mind our quote is low becuase we are not taking couches, cookers, washing machines, wardrobes, dining room furniture, etc. These are the things which take up the most space and therefore cost the most money. Our stuff was mostly second hand stuff that relatives could spare when we got our first house so it was no great heartbreak to decide not to take it. We are only having a part share in a container so it costs less but takes longer to get to Oz.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Mel
Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

were going with nothing.

most of our stuff here is so so. Never spent a fortune on household anyway. We spent 4k on 2 new sofas start of last year last year, but gonna just take that on the chin we don't know whether it would suit new house anyway. Since middle of last year we have bought really nothing, knowing that we are going.

We need new beds, etc anyway, and certainly need a clear out on the clothes front, and on kids toy. Everything of any importance pictures, momento's and things are going to mother-in-laws for safe keeping, washing machine, fridge, electricals - being given to friends/family or sold.

With up to I read 64kg per person via the US that should cover us.

Only thing we MUST take of size is my golf clubs. Out of frustration at my recent general play I have just forked out a fortune on a complete new set of clubs. I could not wait till I got there to buy these so now they will have to come too. I hope I have got my priorities right!

cheers

James
Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:32 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Planning on nowt but rang a mate of mine this weekend who is big chief for all of Central and Eastern Europe of well-known moving co and he said his best mate is going out to NZ and taking a container on favourable terms and I should be able to fit in a box or two. So as long as it's cheap, may take some toys or extra things.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:57 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

im going with absolutely bugger all, just the clothes on my back and my tools.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We've done this move before - more than once. Really regretted not taking more than a few tea chests the first time. An expensive mistake once we started to replace things.

Take everything!!!! Really. You don't get much for anything sold secondhand anyway. Except ditch any aging tvs and videos that aren't worth the cost of converting or the hassle of not being able to tape one programme while watching another etc.

Food and day to day stuff is cheaper in Oz but most one-off big purchases or things you only buy very occasionally are generally more expensive (made overseas, shipped a long way or low turnover). Before considering leaving/chucking anything if it still has some life left in it check out the price in Oz. Shipping is cheap compared to replacing whitegoods and furniture. Electronic goods from Asia (TVs, videos, stereos) are slightly cheaper than the UK though.

If you work in an office - buy a new suit or two in the sales before you go. Same if you like expensive shoes.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally we were only taking the sentimentals, but after reading the posts on here, have decided to take everything including washing machine.
If it costs me £3,000 to take it all, it will still be worth it as you would never buy a house full of stuff for 3 grand.
I was speaking to my Australian Sister in law last weekend, and we were dicussing prices as I have just bought a new microwave with convector oven and grill. Her response was - 'Put me one in the container aswell as you wouldn't get one over here for that price. The same goes for front loading washing machines'.

Whisky
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Taking nothing

We regreted leaving behind our kitchen stuf as , apart from the expense of replacing it all we found there wasn't the choice that we were used to and couldn't find a micro wave with integral oven and grill for love or money.
That has changed in the 2 yrs we've been here and there is more choice now but still, it was a pain having to go out and re buy dishes and stuff so we really wish we'd bought it all
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi expat, as I have said, I am planning on taking all things that are in reasonable condition, but alas, our dishwasher would never survive the journey. Its a zanussi. Would you advise to wait till we get there or by one here before we go?

Whisky
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by denhim
im going with absolutely bugger all, just the clothes on my back and my tools.
We're more or less the same, just taking my tools and a few other bits and bobs. Deb's taking some of the more expensive stuff in a couple of tea chests via excess baggage[cheers MM]. Kid's have been told if you can't get it in your holdall or hand luggage you can't take it.
I'm such a wicked father
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with you Whisky.

Those sort of combo things - microwave, grill etc - are more expensive in Oz. Most 'space saving' type items are. Space saving not being a bit issue in most Aussie houses.

Front loading washing machines are fine in Oz but not necessary as everywhere has a separate laundry - even most flats. Many people prefer top loaders - they fit more in and you can drop things you've forgotten in once it's started. Mostly only see front loaders under the kitchen benches in small inner city new flats - called a "European laundry". We're taking our front loader though and when it dies will get a huge top loader!

Wouldn't replace the dishwasher before you go unless you need it beforehand. They're not much more expensive there new than here and then there's the freight cost. Plus it is meant to look 12 months old for customs to avoid duty - new and with no dust or watermarks might be spotted if you get a jobsworth that day...

www.thegoodguys.com.au - a good site to check out prices
Old Aug 12th 2003, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default dishwasher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whisky Well - a dishwasher is the one thing we haven't had to buy yet as there was already one in the rental home and also one left in the house we've just bought. They are selling from around $800 at the mo in the sales so you might as well buy one when you get here
Good luck !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.