Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many of those here on a 457 have medical insurance? Poll

View Poll Results: Those of you who are here on a 457 Visa - do you have private medical Insurance?
Yes
50.00%
No - decided it wasnt necessary
50.00%
No - would like it but cant afford it
0%
Considering taking it out - still undecided
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

How many of those here on a 457 have medical insurance? Poll

Old Jun 11th 2006, 5:16 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many of those here on a 457 have medical insurance? Poll

We've had lots and lots of discussions here about whether or not to get private medical insurance while on a temp visa but I dont think I've ever seen a poll running to see what the figures are.

I for one dont have private insurance - I find that Medicare covers me in the same way that the NHS does so I've decided not to take it out (that coupled with the fact that money is very tight for us right now!). We're also applying for our PR in the next couple of weeks and so from what I've read from JAJ we will then be entitled to full medicare benefits.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How many of those here on a 457 have medical insurance? Poll

Hi Rach

Sorry can't do the poll, cause we are not sure at the moment. Had decided no we were not going to get insurance as like you say we are covered under the reciprocal agreement, and costs. But we now have visa approval letter and it does say in there that it is employer responsibility to make sure we are adequately covered, but employers have not stated anything in our contract and are not supply the insurance as part of package. So we are now waiting to hear there comments on that one.

Good idea for poll, we will be watching this one.
KelnIan
Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's sponsoring company have taken out medical insurance for us.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tygwyn
We've had lots and lots of discussions here about whether or not to get private medical insurance while on a temp visa but I dont think I've ever seen a poll running to see what the figures are.

I for one dont have private insurance - I find that Medicare covers me in the same way that the NHS does so I've decided not to take it out (that coupled with the fact that money is very tight for us right now!). We're also applying for our PR in the next couple of weeks and so from what I've read from JAJ we will then be entitled to full medicare benefits.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
We're not there yet but yes we will be having private med insurance. It states in OH contract that this is a condition, they've even told us which company we have to use & we are having to pay for it!

Leigh