Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many suitcases did you take?

how many suitcases did you take?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all
Default how many suitcases did you take?

Hi
We are getting ready for the packers to come round tomorrow morning and we are in the process of paking our cases .
we are taking about six or seven for a family of five and we are worried to is to much .We have been told by singapore airlines that we can take upto 40kg in each case but still think we may need another couple is this to much would like to here what other people have done.
many thanks neil& lesley :scared:
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many suitcases did oy take

Originally Posted by neiluk
Hi
We are getting ready for the packers to come round tomorrow morning and we are in the process of paking our cases .
we are taking about six or seven for a family of five and we are worried to is to much .We have been told by singapore airlines that we can take upto 40kg in each case but still think we may need another couple is this to much would like to here what other people have done.

Hi,

We took six cases, varying in size for a family of four as we made sure we got the additional weight confirmed when booking the flight with Emirates. One thing I woould suggest is you make a brief note of what is in each case as the airport temporarily lost one of our cases and asked us what was in it. We didnt have a clue at that point but luckily we got the case back the same day.

I think we pretty much used our luggage allowance with the six cases and just squeezed in whatever we could, the leftovers were left at my mums house with instructions that if I didnt return within a year she could throw it away.

Julia
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We took nine as we moved out of our house a month before we came over and we would be waiting another month before the container arrived. We left in October so needed a bit of winter gear for the Uk and Sunshine stuff for OZ.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: how many suitcases did oy take

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!!!!!
xx
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neiluk
Hi
Are you sure it's 40kg in each case? Usually there is a limit below that figure on the weight of each case for health and safety reasons so that the baggage handlers don't have to lift anything too heavy. It might be worth checking to make sure...
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:06 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

We took I think 5 cases, plus two massive sports bags, and other bags. Singapore lady at check in desk was very kind and helped us share out a heavy bag around the rest of the luggage. All in all, for a family of 5 we had 12 pieces of luggage.

If you speak to Singapore Air, and ask them for help, they'll book someone to assist the massive hauling of bags at the other end, which is useful if you have children to manage too.
We had a guy help us so I took the children and he and my hub took through two loaded trolleys.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suzimc
Are you sure it's 40kg in each case? Usually there is a limit below that figure on the weight of each case for health and safety reasons so that the baggage handlers don't have to lift anything too heavy. It might be worth checking to make sure...
Your allowed 40kg's each but not on one case. I think the max is 30kg's per case.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, as I recall it is 40KG per person which is why we took 6 cases, so for four of us we were putting under 30kg in each case as I think there is a limit for each case.

Julia
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:08 am
Account Closed

If they're emigrating, it's 40k with Singapore, as long as they all have visas.
If one is Australian, they're classed as a 'returning migrant' or something similar, and allowed 30k.

Some of our cases were around 30k (some higher) and the rest shared around bags.

Last edited by iPom; Aug 9th 2006 at 11:29 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
If they're emigrating, it's 40k with Singapore, as long as they all have visas.
If one is Australian, they're classed as a 'returning migrant' or something similar, and allowed 30k.
I thought it was 40kg per person with prior arrangement, but not per case...
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:10 am
Account Closed

I thought it was 40kg per person with prior arrangement, but not per case...

40 per person, yes. But if you're one person taking one case, it can weight 40k.

You can take as many cases as you want, as long as your allowance doesn't exceed 40k... but then the weight of the cases might take up half of that, so it's best to pack the cases as heavy as you can.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:19 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was a new law brought in a year or two ago that max weight limit for cases was 32kg. Something to do with health and safety.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We took two backpacks But we were travelling around Malaysia and Singapore for a month on the way!!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by binbird
I thought there was a new law brought in a year or two ago that max weight limit for cases was 32kg. Something to do with health and safety.

There might well have been Binbird, but I know one or two of our cases were near 36-40kg. No-one challenged that and I don't recall any of that information on our ticket information or booking letter from the airline.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is a legal Health and safety rule that no individual bag can weigh more than 32kgs - the airlines can't be lenient on this, even if they are on the total amount of luggage. More than 32kgs per bag and the baggage handlers can refuse to lift it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.