Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HOW MANY SUITCASES, BAGS ETC

HOW MANY SUITCASES, BAGS ETC

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice
Default HOW MANY SUITCASES, BAGS ETC

hi all, does anyone know how many suitcases, bags etc we can take. i know the weight restrictions. 2 adults. 2 kids and were on a 136 visa.

thanks tony
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:51 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW MANY SUITCASES, BAGS ETC

If you explain you're emigrating when you book the ticket, you may get extra baggage allowance. But if you don't do this and just expect to turn up at the airport with 80kg, you're heading for trouble.

We asked for the extra baggage allowance at booking time and were allowed 40kg in 2 cases each but you must make sure it is printed on your ticket or you have some other printed confirmation from the airline.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Originally Posted by wmoore
If you explain you're emigrating when you book the ticket, you may get extra baggage allowance. But if you don't do this and just expect to turn up at the airport with 80kg, you're heading for trouble.

We asked for the extra baggage allowance at booking time and were allowed 40kg in 2 cases each but you must make sure it is printed on your ticket or you have some other printed confirmation from the airline.
hi, but is there a limit on the amount of bags you can take
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony s
hi, but is there a limit on the amount of bags you can take
Hand luggage or suitcases? You'll be lucky to board a flight in the UK with more than one piece of hand luggage. Depending on your ticket conditions, you may be able to take 2 suitcases each but really you're better off asking the airline you're booked with - or the one you're thinking of booking with.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hand luggage or suitcases? You'll be lucky to board a flight in the UK with more than one piece of hand luggage. Depending on your ticket conditions, you may be able to take 2 suitcases each but really you're better off asking the airline you're booked with - or the one you're thinking of booking with.
ok. many thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:17 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

BAA will also set conditions above the airlines, so if airlines says 2 hand items, and BAA says 1, then its 1.

We hadeight cases between 2 adults and 2 kids. They all had to weigh less than 32kg.

Air Singapore will allow 40kg per person for unvalidated visa on a one-way ticket, if you go via the US with a US airline you should get 46kg each.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:37 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Emirates also offer the 40kg allowance.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:39 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Emirates also offer the 40kg allowance.
Our one way ticket was with Emirates and we got 40kg each but I can't stress enough to the OP that they must request the extra baggage at booking time and make sure they get it confirmed on the ticket.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:46 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Our one way ticket was with Emirates and we got 40kg each but I can't stress enough to the OP that they must request the extra baggage at booking time and make sure they get it confirmed on the ticket.
The OP must bear in mind that if the visa has already been validated they may not get the 40 Kg baggage allowance anyway
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Issie
The OP must bear in mind that if the visa has already been validated they may not get the 40 Kg baggage allowance anyway
hi, no we have not vaildated them yet.to be honest i was more concerned about how many cases we could take.as we have a coupe of quality duvets we want to take. things like that.we have give nearly everything else away for next to nothing to family and friends.but not my beloved duvet.oh no!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:54 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

That's right. Our TA said that Emirates needed to see a copy of the visa before they would issue the extra allowance.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:54 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

hi, no we have not vaildated them yet.to be honest i was more concerned about how many cases we could take.as we have a coupe of quality duvets we want to take. things like that.we have give nearly everything else away for next to nothing to family and friends.but not my beloved duvet.oh no!!!!
LOL - it's my duvet cover that I'll not part with.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:55 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you are not over the given weight 40 Kg ( each person ) then it doesn't matter how many suitcases you take

if you are over ....you just have to pay extra baggage allowance.....
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

A duvet will take up a lot of your allowance but of course it's your choice. Think that you will be without your 'stuff' for a couple of months (probably) so your suitcases should contain the necessities to see you through this time. Of course if a duvet is one of your necessities then that's fine too
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

burkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really niceburkesdownunder is just really nice

i hope this makes some sense to you i fly with emirates to perth in january

Thank you for your enquiry.

The baggage allowance of 20kg in Economy Class is standard across the Emirates network and you also have 7kgs hand luggage for each adult.

For passengers migrating to Australia/New Zealand there is an additional allowance of 20kgs per adult/child (meaning 40kgs in total per adult/child) agreed between British and Australian governments), however it is subject to strict controls:

*It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.

*The passengers must hold a migration visa (which should be attached in the passengers passport) stating INDEFINITE STAY. The allowance will not be provided for visas marked with 1, 5, 10year etc Business Visa (even though the intention might be to obtain indefinite stay on arrival).

*It is not valid if you have a stopover (i.e. exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.

*Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns)

*This allowance does not apply to Business or First Class.

*You must not have entered the country on the visa already.

If you have not yet made a booking and intend to book through us by telephone, please advise us of this at the time of the original booking, and the allowance can be changed (subject to receiving fax copies of the migration visa). Please note that if you book online at www.emirates.com you must select the "Address Delivery" option for ticket delivery, and notify us immediately so that we can change the allowance. Please do not select E-tickets, as this cannot be changed!!!! If you intend to book through a travel agent, you must advise them of the required allowance before tickets are issued on the booking - If tickets are issued without changing the allowance, it cannot be done afterwards and it will not be granted. If the travel agent is in any doubt, please ask them to refer to their "Nett Directive" with Emirates.

If you have made a booking and not yet had tickets issued, please contact whomever made the reservation for it to be altered before the tickets are issued.

Alternatively, we currently have a promotion running with www.movingplanet.net which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total. You can access details of the offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, again this is subject to various controls:

• It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.

• The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1 year stay.

• It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.

• Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).

• You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already.

In other cases where the additional allowance does not apply, the authorisation of excess baggage is only provided for charities who make an application in writing on letter-headed paper. As an alternative, we might also suggest that you send some belongings using the "Unaccompanied Baggage" service offered through various companies. Contact numbers:

London-Heathrow & Gatwick - Emirates Express on 01784-251100 Manchester & Birmingham - Emirates Cargo Manchester on 0161-498 1180 Glasgow - Arbuckle Smith (cargo agents) on 0141-887 5252

If you wish to take the baggage with you to the airport, the charge for this will vary according to your destination. London - Melbourne would cost GBP30.28 per kg for example. We would therefore recommend using the unaccompanied baggage service as a less expensive option if possible.

Emirates UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.