Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many people get a visa... but don't go through with the move..??

How many people get a visa... but don't go through with the move..??

Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:06 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all
Default How many people get a visa... but don't go through with the move..??

I don't mean those who come back for whatever reason... just those who go through all the stress of getting the visa then get cold feet / have a change of circumstances / etc etc etc..... and don't go in the first place.

I couldn't imagine not going because I'd spend the rest of my life thinking, "what if....??"

The reason I ask is that I've just spent the weekend saying tearful 'farewells' to much of my extended family.... my Uncle says, "you're doing this for me...." .... and goes on to explain that he applied for - and got - a PR visa twenty years ago, but never went through with it. My cousin (19 years old) has apparently never forgiven him or let him forget: "I could have been Australian"

Sooo... how many? Anyone know?

Cheers,
RT x
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:14 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many people get a visa... but don't go through with the move..??

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
I don't mean those who come back for whatever reason... just those who go through all the stress of getting the visa then get cold feet / have a change of circumstances / etc etc etc..... and don't go in the first place.

I couldn't imagine not going because I'd spend the rest of my life thinking, "what if....??"

The reason I ask is that I've just spent the weekend saying tearful 'farewells' to much of my extended family.... my Uncle says, "you're doing this for me...." .... and goes on to explain that he applied for - and got - a PR visa twenty years ago, but never went through with it. My cousin (19 years old) has apparently never forgiven him or let him forget: "I could have been Australian"

Cheers,
RT x
Thought you were having second thoughts there for a moment - not you of all people!

I think there'll be quite a few people who've regretted not going over the years.

Started your packing for the 'party flight' yet?

Jules

P.S Bring a brolly - it's done nothing but b**dy rain today!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:49 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How many people get a visa... but don't go through with the move..??

certainly not me!! cant wait to get out of here!!

regards

vb2
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:50 am
Aussie Citizen

Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by julesandco
Thought you were having second thoughts there for a moment - not you of all people!
Hey Jules, how you going?
Nooo... no second thoughts for us Bring it on..!!

Started your packing for the 'party flight' yet?
A big box of Aussie party stuff arrived the other day..... complete with 4-foot tall inflatable kangaroos and a 6-foot shark...!!! Can't wait

Stick a beer in the fridge for us... we'll see ya in 3 weeks..!!

P.S Bring a brolly - it's done nothing but b**dy rain today!
Whinging Pom

See ya,
RT x
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
RT x
I know loads of peeps who haven't gone through with it, normally after the validation trip. They come back and all say, its good for a holiday, but they wouldn't want to live there. Fair enough really, peoples lives and expectations can change over the time it takes to get your visa and validate.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:03 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this one struck a chord with me.

I was on the phone to my Dad a couple of days ago and he said to me 'When you get to Australia, you will be crying every night'

'Why?' I asked puzzled.

'Because you will be missing me' He said simply.

Like a ton of bricks it hit me. I only have one parent left, I have suddenly become so close to my sisters that I love them beyond anything. We were close before, but the family dynamics has changed since Mum died.

'I shall be hot on your heels to Australia, because I cannot stand the thought of never seeing you again' My sister said to me.

Jesus christ what am I putting them through? I thought and suddenly felt very scared and vulnerable.

Then I think back to Nov. 11th when we were told mum had cancer. Six weeks later she was dead.

That tells me that life is very short and even more so, unpredictable.

Emigrating hard on the family you leave behind? Damn right it is.

But I am looking on it that my wonderful sisters will have somewhere to visit, a country so beautiful and new experiences for them and their children to learn about.

I don't have cold feet, everyone knows how we have dreamt of Australia for the past 3 years but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

I am aware that leaving my family will rip out my heart.

But I am also aware that my Mum would tell me to grab the opportunities that life has to offer whenever you get the chance.

Stepping out of the comfort zone is hard, but when you take a long hard look at how short life can be, having regrets is even worse.

Get the visa, give yourself the choice and try it.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:15 am
Aussie Citizen

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

I was on the phone to my Dad a couple of days ago and he said to me 'When you get to Australia, you will be crying every night'

'Why?' I asked puzzled.

Like a ton of bricks it hit me. I only have one parent left, I have suddenly become so close to my sisters that I love them beyond anything. We were close before, but the family dynamics has changed since Mum died.

'I shall be hot on your heels to Australia, because I cannot stand the thought of never seeing you again' My sister said to me.

Jesus christ what am I putting them through? I thought and suddenly felt very scared and vulnerable.

Then I think back to Nov. 11th when we were told mum had cancer. Six weeks later she was dead.

But I am looking on it that my wonderful sisters will have somewhere to visit, a country so beautiful and new experiences for them and their children to learn about.

I don't have cold feet, everyone knows how we have dreamt of Australia for the past 3 years but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

But I am also aware that my Mum would tell me to grab the opportunities that life has to offer whenever you get the chance.

Stepping out of the comfort zone is hard, but when you take a long hard look at how short life can be, having regrets is even worse.

Nice one Sam... brilliantly put, as ever.

RT
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:22 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Karma is shitting me I have to spread before giving it. Thats crap if someone writes a good, constructive post like Sam has just done then i should be able to give Karma and not spread it.

It just cheapens the whole thing.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:42 am
Living in Oz & loving it

rick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Jules, how you going?
Nooo... no second thoughts for us Bring it on..!!

A big box of Aussie party stuff arrived the other day..... complete with 4-foot tall inflatable kangaroos and a 6-foot shark...!!! Can't wait

Stick a beer in the fridge for us... we'll see ya in 3 weeks..!!

Whinging Pom

See ya,
RT x
Just out of interest, where did you get the inflatable kangaroo and sharks??
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:51 am
Aussie Citizen

Originally Posted by rick07
Just out of interest, where did you get the inflatable kangaroo and sharks??
Hmmm...... just had a look at them... and it seems my memory is getting mixed up between inches and centimetres...!!! Men ...but things are so much more impressive in inches

Oh well... for half-sized inflatable kangaroos and sharks, look here: http://www.partypacks.co.uk/list.asp...urce=googleppc (click on "Themed Party Packs" and you'll see the 'Australian' link).

RT.

Last edited by Rogue Trader; Jan 24th 2006 at 11:53 am.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 12:59 pm
Living in Oz & loving it

rick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm...... just had a look at them... and it seems my memory is getting mixed up between inches and centimetres...!!! Men ...but things are so much more impressive in inches

Oh well... for half-sized inflatable kangaroos and sharks, look here: http://www.partypacks.co.uk/list.asp...urce=googleppc (click on "Themed Party Packs" and you'll see the 'Australian' link).

RT.
Thanks for that, i will have a look!!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Cheers,
RT x

Daft People

Beth
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:12 pm
Aussie Citizen

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Daft People

Beth
Nice One..!!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:14 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

'Why?' I asked puzzled.

Hi Sam,

I really understand where you're coming from. I lost my Dad very suddenly on December 27th 1999. Then my hubby lost his Dad, also very suddenly three years later - both very young; mine 55, his 67.

It really, really upsets me to think of my Mum (my BEST friend in the whole world) on the other side of the world on her own, but the irony is, if we hadn't lost our Dads, we probably wouldn't be here. Losing a loved one is the biggest kick up the ar*e you will ever get.

Neither Paul or I wanted to reach 60 (if we get that far) and think, 'if only.....' I know it's a cliche, and Paul only said tonight - 'at least we are here and we can say we've done it'.

I won't lie, it is hard at times and it is very early days for us yet. I'm just glad the kids are settling well. The hardest part of the whole process for me was handing in their 'resignation' from the school they loved and inform them finally that we were leaving for good. That really brought it home to me. It's fine to screw up your own life - but your kid's?

Life is a journey. God knows, sometimes it's more of a uphill battle that we'd like, but take the risk. What's the worst that can happen? You end up back in the UK? So what?

Lots of love Sam. I've been reading your blog and can empathise with what you are going through. Keep strong. Give that ginger monster a hug.

Jules x
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:19 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glittababe
its good for a holiday, but they wouldn't want to live there.
That's what my other half said also.