Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many people are applying for visas who have never been to oz?

how many people are applying for visas who have never been to oz?

Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:09 pm
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile how many people are applying for visas who have never been to oz?

OH did his vetassess practical last week and the majority of people there on the day had never been to oz even though they were trying to emigrate there - is this the norm??
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many people are applying for visas who have never been to oz?

Originally Posted by Diz
OH did his vetassess practical last week and the majority of people there on the day had never been to oz even though they were trying to emigrate there - is this the norm??

Seriously I just wouldnt emigrate without going first, well I would if I was 22 with no kids... however with kids and current economic situation in OZ I would visit, skip dreamworld and dolphins and and try and a spot of jobhunting

However that sort of reality can put people off, going blind allows it to stay a 'dream' Face reality once you arrive hmmm
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Seriously I just wouldnt emigrate without going first, well I would if I was 22 with no kids... however with kids and current economic situation in OZ I would visit, skip dreamworld and dolphins and and try and a spot of jobhunting

However that sort of reality can put people off, going blind allows it to stay a 'dream' Face reality once you arrive hmmm
Or, for people like us, know the realities before moving. We had never been however we are mature, responsible people who didn't chase some dream.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I got citizenship and I'd never been to Oz. Does that count?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of

WE MOVED WITHOUT COMING HERE FIRST , BUT IT WASN'T JUST A DREAM, WE HAD THOUGHT ABOUT EMIGRATING FOR 11 YEARS BEFORE WE DID SO!!
I LOVE THE FACT THAT WE CAME HERE AND JUST HAD TO GET ON WITH THINGS. WE HAVE NEVER HAD THE ROSE TINTED GLASSES ON , WE HAVE JUST KNUCKLED DOWN AND TAKEN THING AS THEY COME GOOD & BAD!!
WE HAVE BEEN HERE NEARLY 11MONTHS AND HAVE ACHIEVED SO MUCH IN SO LITTLE TIME, HAVING BOUGHT CARS, A HOUSE, GOT JOBS, EVEN RESCUED A DOG TO JOIN THE FAMILY . WOULD WE CHANGE THE WAY WE HAVE DONE THINGS???? NOPE , I WOULD SAY TO ANYONE JUST DO IT YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, WE JUST WISH WE DID IT A LOT SOONER!!!
WE LOVE IT HERE !!!!

ANNKC
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hutch
I got citizenship and I'd never been to Oz. Does that count?
My daughter was the same, became a citizen about 12 months before first setting foot in Australia.

From what I have seen, many of those that do not visit first find it easier to settle. They do not have the original "holiday" ideal, to compare against, when they begin living a normal working life here.

I had holidays first, before migrating, but never settled first time around and went back to the UK.

Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

We have applied for our visa without visiting Oz. We have however, not taken this decision lightly it has taken over 6 years of thought and certainly prior to having children. (only wish we had made the decision before the children as we have more to consider now ).

We have considered a reccie this summer however, would it be best to save the money towards our move, what could we get done in two weeks with little ones??? Anyway having thought this through we are not going to do a reccie mad as it sounds!!!

We are giving Oz the two year trial like most so view this at the moment as long reccie - whether this is the right thing to do who knows.... ( I will of course let you know).

We fully understand and even more so having read posts on here that life will be difficult making the transition but I believe if you really want something then you have to try otherwise spend the rest of your life 'what if'!!

Are we mad???????
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:30 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

A holiday downunder is all beer, beaches and BBQ's and having fun which is nothing what everyday life working 9-5 living in the suburbs would be like.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:32 am
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: how many people are applying for visas who have never been to oz?

Originally Posted by nbn8
We have applied for our visa without visiting Oz. We have however, not taken this decision lightly it has taken over 6 years of thought and certainly prior to having children. (only wish we had made the decision before the children as we have more to consider now ).

We have considered a reccie this summer however, would it be best to save the money towards our move, what could we get done in two weeks with little ones??? Anyway having thought this through we are not going to do a reccie mad as it sounds!!!

We are giving Oz the two year trial like most so view this at the moment as long reccie - whether this is the right thing to do who knows.... ( I will of course let you know).

We fully understand and even more so having read posts on here that life will be difficult making the transition but I believe if you really want something then you have to try otherwise spend the rest of your life 'what if'!!

Are we mad???????
no I don't think you are mad. we started the skills assessment process before we visited Perth. We used our honeymoon as a good excuse to do a reccie and spent a lot of time visiting the different suburbs etc to give us a feel for the different areas. we have several friends who live in Perth so they were able to give us 'real life' insight whilst we were there. the trip basically reassured us we were doing the right thing and made me less worried about taking our 16 and 19 year old with us as we had left the decision up to them. our enthusiasm since the trip and firmed up their decision to come with us. All we have to do now is wait.......... Diz x
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

direct2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the roughdirect2dubai is a jewel in the rough

We applied 2 years ago without ever been to Oz before. Once we got PR, we visited for the first time to do first entry....and loved it thankfully

Now just waiting it out for the job market to improve - still have 3 years to move so hopefully things will get better before then....

Edit to add that we don't have any kids so were willing to take the chance without visiting first!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

We've never been to Australia, but know it will be different then Europe for two reasons : Less people and more sun. Different is what we need, so whatever happens in Australia, we'll be getting what we were looking for
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

M_IT_and_F_Nurse-26yrOld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diz

How do, we done the same thing, we both packed in our jobs, had no house or kids in the uk, and we have been here 3 months now. We love it, never been before, ie this is our first time, but i guess we dont have much to lose if things dont work out. My partner is a sponsored nurse, so she is working but i am finding it VERY difficult at the min and i have worked in IT for 7 yrs, ranging from development to project management and i cant even get a job in roles that i would walk into in the uk. My point is, the grass is not always greener on the other side i would warn you to have your eyes open, WIDE.

OZ is having a real bad time at the min with job losses and ppl are worried about their jobs, so the chances of someone coming from the Uk and getting a job straight away is slim (i am using myself as an example) I have heard of ppl who have given everything up, jobs, house, kids schools, family etc and came over thinking life would be all rosey and amazing. THATS NOT how it works.

Dont get me wrong, we both love it, we are 27 and once i do get work times will great, but at the moment we are also worried. So please be cautious and careful with your plans

Dale
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

scottish_stu will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Diz
im applying for a job in Melbourne with the same company i work for in London but ive never stepped foot in Australia. Its only me thats going though so i dont count it as a risk. If it doesnt work out i come home. Try everything once.....