Reload this Page >

How many money do you think is needed to migrate to Australia

How many money do you think is needed to migrate to Australia

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:17 am
jss
Just Joined

jss is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face How many money do you think is needed to migrate to Australia

How many money do you think is needed to migrate to Australia from the moment you are in Australia (I mean, not taking into acount the flight tickets) and living alone and being in CSL (supposely you will get a job faster if you are in CSL, but without a job offer before arriving to Australia)?

Please give your ideal estimate and your mimimun estimate (I mean: which is the minimun amount of money someone would need? )

Last edited by jss; Mar 4th 2009 at 2:19 am.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How many money do you think is needed to migrate to Australia

I'm going to take a blind stab at this and say $20,000.

I've guessed it because I reckon at least $40,000 is needed to get by here per year - and suppose it took 6 months to get a job so half of that.

Of course there are loads of other thoughts - you might be able to get a job stacking shelves in a shop to make things meet while something else comes along.

Cars are expensive - you may need one. Also rent in a city can be around the $1000 mark per month - not forgetting the $1000 bond up front.

I would imagine that some people do turn up then start working pretty much the next day - but others might not be so lucky.

As far as the CSL list goes - it wouldn't surprise me if it took a company a month just to read your application.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:09 am
jss
Just Joined

$20,000 / 6 months = AU$3,333 per month

If I were to Australia with AU$4100 (not taking into account the amount spent in flight tickets), and I am in CSL, do you think I could survive while I get the first salary from a job ?

I understand that I would need to live a simple life, but is it not crazy to come to Australia with just AU$4100 ?

Thank you very much

Last edited by jss; Mar 5th 2009 at 12:16 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

What's CSL???
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:15 am
jss
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eastend Girl
What's CSL???
Critical Skills List => Supposely if you are in CSL you could get a job faster. The CSL is compiled by the government
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Thanks! Good luck with that; I hope you do get a job quickly but I think you need to bring at least $20,000 (just in case!)
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

dmpp will become famous soon enough

Girlfriend and I arrived on a PR and had about $18000 to start with and spending was about $1000 a week ($500 and $500 spending), remeber the more spare time you have the more you will spend. We survied about 4 months before getting work but we didn't have much left in the bank when we got our first wage.

Another thing to keep in mind is the Rental Bond and 1-3 months rental in advance which can easily be over $5000 and then furnishing it.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jss
Critical Skills List => Supposely if you are in CSL you could get a job faster. The CSL is compiled by the government
The CSL does *not* necessarily mean you will get a job faster. It just means that occupations on the CSL are still considered necessary by the Australian Government.

Don't think that having a CSL occupation guarantees you a job.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

If you were really really careful with money you could get away with:

$20 a night youth hostel
$10 a day food from supermarket

thats already $30 a day around $1000 a month. Realistically I'd say though to live in a backpackers you need about $50 a day to cover everything - $1500 a month.

So if you cut everything to the bone your $4100 would run out sometime in the second month. That's assuming you didn't have any 'unforeseen' costs. I'd hope that you had a return flight booked already just so you didnt get stuck here.

It's hard to say how quickly you would get a CSL related job. It could easily take a few months just to start applying through to finding somebody to interview you to starting - especially in today's economic climate.

I don't know how quickly you could get 'backpacker' work such as fruitpicking/cleaning/ working in hostels etc.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:40 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

How long is a piece of string?

A friendly piece of advice.....do not think that being CSL means anything, as we found
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:05 am
jss
Just Joined

oh , thank you ... good recommendation ... I am already working in my country, no problems with job in my country, the only problem is low wages but (almost) no more ... I was being desperate because my country's currency is devaluating eating up my savings !!! It is devaluating because of this little Depression , this is not a Great Depression (yet) ... and because of this little Depression the Australian government is predicting that 2010's unemployment rate will be higher than 2009's (and of course 2008's) ... so: the more time you wait the less easily you will be employed ... but yes, better to have savings for a rainy day
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Also rent in a city can be around the $1000 mark per month - not forgetting the $1000 bond up front.

Not quite sure what areas you are referring to but not much around to rent for $250 per week
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:37 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

[QUOTE=jss;7343328]

Just because your profession is on the CSL doesn't mean they are going to let you walk in and get a job doing that without having your skills assessed.

Don't forget depending on what skill you have, you may have to pay a lot of money getting your licences etc to be able to work in that field first. Think thousands of $.