Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many millions waiting to enter Oz

how many millions waiting to enter Oz

Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default how many millions waiting to enter Oz

I wonder how many millions of £'s and other currencies are waiting to come into Oz which have been left in Uk etc by people who have already emmigrated but are waiting for better exchange rates?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many millions waiting to enter Oz

As of next Friday we'll have a few bob to bring over when the house settles!

We've been here almost 3 years and feel ready to buy so it is just our luck that things have turned.....

I've been doing millions of calculations as to what is best to do so for the moment we are going to find the best instant access account in the UK (A&L offshore 3%) and watch the rates carefully. I calculated that it would take me 5 years of saving the lump sum to get back 0.50 cent difference in rate....lord knows how much house prices will have gone up in that time!

But then Oz is doing so well it obviously doesn't need our money....
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:04 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrCro
I wonder how many millions of £'s and other currencies are waiting to come into Oz which have been left in Uk etc by people who have already emmigrated but are waiting for better exchange rates?
I can only dare to imagine.....
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

ALOT!!!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
As of next Friday we'll have a few bob to bring over when the house settles!

We've been here almost 3 years and feel ready to buy so it is just our luck that things have turned.....

I've been doing millions of calculations as to what is best to do so for the moment we are going to find the best instant access account in the UK (A&L offshore 3%) and watch the rates carefully. I calculated that it would take me 5 years of saving the lump sum to get back 0.50 cent difference in rate....lord knows how much house prices will have gone up in that time!

But then Oz is doing so well it obviously doesn't need our money....
Don't forget to include paying tax on any forex gains you make in your calculations when you eventually bring the money over.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Don't forget to include paying tax on any forex gains you make in your calculations when you eventually bring the money over.
Twist the knife, why don't you?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't worry too much: after the proven roaring success in the Stimulus Package - which has kept growth going - the obvious next step will be to continue and increase it. Print even more money, hand it out to everyone and growth will continue unchecked - Nirvana! So none of us will have to have any income other than the cheques from the government which will come thick and fast.

I can't see any flaw in this argument..............................
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Print even more money, hand it out to everyone and growth will continue unchecked...

I can't see any flaw in this argument..............................
Apart from the fact the Australian government hasn't been "printing money" unlike the British or US governments.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the fact the Australian government hasn't been "printing money" unlike the British or US governments.
Print it today, go into debt for tomorrow - same difference.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Wol
Print it today, go into debt for tomorrow - same difference.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Whilst I question the wisdom of Rudd taking the country into debt over the stimulus measures which in my opinion will simply delay the inevitable rather than cancel it I don't believe it's the same as increasing the money supply as they have done in the UK and USA. Which I believe will result in massive inflation at best and at worst a currency crisis for either the USD or GBP.

The cynic in me thinks that the US actually wants hyperinflation to get rid of their massive debts and to eventually replace the US Dollar with a new currency - the Amero.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The cynic in me thinks that the US actually wants hyperinflation to get rid of their massive debts and to eventually replace the US Dollar with a new currency - the Amero.
If that's a representation of you in your avatar then you need to reduce the strength of what ever it is you're smoking.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:57 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>The cynic in me thinks that the US actually wants hyperinflation to get rid of their massive debts and to eventually replace the US Dollar with a new currency - the Amero.<<

Whether they *want* it or not, you are right: inflation will *have* to occur to reduce the massive debt burdens.

Avoiding taking the medicine last year hasn't cured anything - the disease is till in the body in one form or another. The medicine we will have to take is going to taste just as, or more, nasty in the future.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If that's a representation of you in your avatar then you need to reduce the strength of what ever it is you're smoking.
Hahaha! well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I don't think my views are particularly loony though. They would have been 2 years ago but after all we have seen going down since the GFC began nothing surprises me anymore.

I do think the US Dollar is toast though, seriously.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:00 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Wol
>>
Whether they *want* it or not, you are right: inflation will *have* to occur to reduce the massive debt burdens.
Agreed. I think more and more people are realising this, you just have to look at the price of the ultimate financial insurance - Gold and Silver to confirm.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hahaha! well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I don't think my views are particularly loony though. They would have been 2 years ago but after all we have seen going down since the GFC began nothing surprises me anymore.

I do think the US Dollar is toast though, seriously.
US Dollar is certainly struggling at the moment, but it would take a huge change in mindset for the world economies to ditch the greenback as the global trading/pricing currency. If the dollar does indeed go belly up, then the upheaval to world trade would be huge.... it would also mark the end of the "American Century"

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Sep 7th 2009 at 12:28 am.