Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Huntsmen have you had in your home in suburban Melbourne/Brisbane?

How many Huntsmen have you had in your home in suburban Melbourne/Brisbane?

Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:27 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many Huntsmen have you had in your home in suburban Melbourne/Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Dreamy
No, it has 8 legs, honest guv. It just rests its legs in a diagonal cross, 2 legs together.

I was terrified of spiders. When we first came out, I wouldn't walk on grass (even with shoes on), wouldn't walk near hedges, wouldn't walk under trees. We were staying in a serviced apartment on the 17th (made up number, it was high, anyway) floor of a newish, well maintained building near the Storey Bridge in Brisbane and I had to put the bedroom light on to go to the bathroom in the night and did the whole tapping of my shoes before I put them on. Not to mention turning socks inside out, gloves inside out, etc. etc.

Almost 10 years later and I even take photos of them (from a distance. And only if they're very, very, very, very stationary).

You just can't live with that level of extreme terror. So you stop being extremely terrified.

If you don't think you can stop being extremely terrified, you really need to stay in the UK. Where I was "attacked" by way more spiders than I have been here. And I live in the middle of bushland!

Do we get spiders indoors? Yes. But as lots of people have said, spraying the outside of the house will take care of the vast majority of them. Have I had huntsmen in the car? No, not in the car, but they do like inside the wing mirror on my car - spraying those areas prone to spiders takes care of that. Common sense will get you a long way.
Yes I think i would have to have the outside of the house sprayed at LEAST twice a year :-/ Some people have said about having the inside sprayed but I'm not a fan of pesticides and chemicals so I think it would do more harm than good spraying indoors. I would however have a can of spray in every room for when I needed it and then open the windows for ventilation straight after (I'm sure I'd be likely to use an entire can on a spider just to make sure it was actually dead!) Can't say I'd be one to be compassionate with saving them but then that's the trick I think...if you can start to have some feeling for them as creatures worth saving then it's less likely you'll be as terrified of them. If they're something you feel you need to obliterate the second you see them chances are you're like that because you hate them and I guess most likely terrified. We've been in the 80s here (about 86 degrees lately) for a couple of weeks now and I've had all windows open every day and nothing to report inside as of yet except one big moth that flew in when I left the kitchen window open until way past dark and the indoor lights were on. I'm probably jinxing it now and will see a horrendous spider later today! But it's here to imagine life in Australia with the amount of spiders there compared to here so I'm probably building it up to worst case scenario Still terrifies me though
I did wonder how it had 4 legs yet was still classified as a spider by the way Thought it was a bit odd

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 20th 2017 at 8:30 am.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:32 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many Huntsmen have you had in your home in suburban Melbourne/Brisbane?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm very sorry I posted that video now. I never realised people could actually be that scared of spiders. I figured it was more of a squeamish thing than an actual morbid fear.

I guess if I have a phobia, mine would be being alone without partner.
Yes compared to something like losing someone it makes absolutely no sense at all! I can't reason why I have a fear of spiders. I just literally change into this whole other entity when I see them - I hit myself around the head thinking I have one in my hair, I have to brush my arms and legs frantically and I scream and jump around and out the room. It really make sense! I'd love not to be this way :-/
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by verystormy
I think you are being incredibly sensible about this.

One of the things that we see all to often on the forum are people who think that their lives will suddenly have a huge improvement by making the move. For example, many think they will move to Oz and spend their days lounging by the pool, when in reality, they will be going to work and doing all the same things as they have always done - clean the loo, doing the shopping and wash the pots. Just in different surroundings.

Also, many don't recognize what they already have. We didn't until we returned to the UK after 8 years away. It has given us a completely new perspective. For example, my wife went to the beach yesterday and actually shed a tear at just how pretty it was. This wasn't some glamorous part, but South Shields near Newcastle.

When you do decide if you want to do it, you need to also look at the fine print of life in another country. For example, annual leave is in many countries not as generous as the UK. The average in Oz is only 20 days. Working hours can also be longer - Australians work some of the longest hours in the developed world.

You also need to think seriously about things like climate. If you are going to consider Calgary, have you spent any time in extreme cold? I have and liked it, but many don't. So, if you were to consider it, I would suggest trying it first - make a visit to northern Sweden or somewhere in February.

Also, do some forward planning. For example, if you go to any country, make sure you fully understand the visa you are going on and what the long term consequences may be. For example, if it were a work transfer as you have mentioned, then it would probably be a 457 visa and you would need to go in the assumption you would be returning at the end of it. But that in itself carries consequences. For example, children going to university may have to be in the UK a number of years prior to applying or be treated as international students.

What ever you decide I wish you luck
Thank you so much for your reply! Yes a few people have commented that I seem paranoid or am being unreasonable (mostly on my post about Canada) but really it was just a case of my comments on here being all my thoughts and everything i need to consider in order to consider a move. I think for anyone already living in Australia or Canada from the UK, if they love it there and/or if they didn't like the UK, it is easy for them to assume I'm being paranoid because for them it would be a case of, "well, why WOULDN'T you want to move?!" For me it's more that I see the benefits of moving, but like you said, I do also see that it's life as normal...just in a different way. And I really do appreciate what we have here. I would love the family to experience a different way of life though. It would be an incredible experience and if we HAD to we can come back as we'd rent our house out here instead of selling. Not that I would want to live with that as an option though (or else it would be too easy to just pack up and go when things got tough and I know that there will be tough times...and you have to see them through for a good several years before making up your mind properly).
I'd love to hear more about your experience and why you returned home. I am surprised by the beach story as Australia has such incredibly beautiful beaches! Although, saying that, we live a stone's throw from Dorset and there are some beautiful beaches there where you can of course swim freely, kayak, paddle board etc without fear of sharks or jelly fish or crazy rip tides! There certainly is a lot of weighing up to do. But the beaches in Australia look incredible.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

At an interview recorded earlier today and released on the web the spokespider for the extreme right leg Huntsmen First! Party, Octa Leg, commented on this thread expressing dismay at the attitudes of arachnophobic immigrants to the region. Waving 4 legs animatedly she said "We were born here, if the humans don't like us they know what they can do! Let's vote for webxit and put a stop to immigration!".
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
So, my question is...
1) How many huntsmen exactly has everybody had in their homes over their time there? Or other spiders that are maybe 4cm plus?
No huntsmen seen in Melbourne (or snakes for that matter). Just the common or garden house spider types.

2) How many of you have found spiders inside your car?
One, little one, that was starting to try to make a web after using the car to move house etc. Was dead after getting sprayed with raid.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That does look beautiful! Must be a wonderful feeling to have been able to visit there and see some of the amazing places out that way. I try not to watch spider videos I try to make myself think though that if I can get used to watching them then that's a step in the right direction...and HOPEFULLY I'd never come across anything quite as horrific as in the videos so perhaps what I do see I migh cope with slightly better. Maybe Probably not but you never know
You write very well by the way. You should write a blog of your adventures out there and what it's like to live there...I'd read it! You've definitely got a way with words that would make people want to read.
By the way, looking at houses I was surprised how few people actually have swimming pools. Do you know why? Do the spiders and snakes that might find their way in put people off perhaps? I couldn't figure out why. I thought most people would have one out there, (at least if they had children). I was surprised too that they don't do what they do in Florida which is to have a pool and seating area in a giant screened room type thing. No glass, just massive screens that run half way up the house and a screened roof on it. I thought Australia could do with that more than Florida but just about everyone in Florida who has a pool seems to have these. Anyaway, just curious
People don't have pools cos they are expensive to run, and cos many of us don't have the space, never mind the cash. Not sure how pool rooms like that would work here either because of the fencing regulations to try and stop so many ids drowning each year.
Thanks for the comments on my writing Unfortunately a blog of my life would be very boring. I go to work, come home, sleep, go back to work. Every so often I go online and get food delivered, so I don't even have to go to the shops anymore! Once a year I go to Tassie to chill out and the highlight of mu life is going home each year to see the family.
Mind you if you go back into the BE archives then some of my earlier posts were more lively, before this country sucked the soul out of me.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to say, it makes you wonder just how long that huntsman had been in your house! Oh it makes me shudder just to think! Yes the car thing worries me a lot as I just lose all normal bodily control when I see a spider...so I have a horrible vision of me careering off the road with my three little ones in the car :-/
The up side of having a huntsman permanently in the house is that they eat everything else.Including cockroaches.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
My mum has such a phobia that she can't even look at them on the TV or in a magazine OE.
My sister is like that.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
..... And Canadians are not a bad sought.

PS BTW the correct spelling is outdoorsy
BTW the correct spelling is "sort", unless they were lost, in which case they might have been sought.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
BTW the correct spelling is "sort", unless they were lost, in which case they might have been sought.

I sought to sort it out .... sort of in the way of a thank you
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes a few people have commented that I seem paranoid or am being unreasonable (mostly on my post about Canada) but really it was just a case of my comments on here being all my thoughts and everything i need to consider in order to consider a move. I think for anyone already living in Australia or Canada from the UK, if they love it there and/or if they didn't like the UK, it is easy for them to assume I'm being paranoid because for them it would be a case of, "well, why WOULDN'T you want to move?!" For me it's more that I see the benefits of moving, but like you said, I do also see that it's life as normal...just in a different way. And I really do appreciate what we have here. I would love the family to experience a different way of life though. It would be an incredible experience and if we HAD to we can come back as we'd rent our house out here instead of selling. Not that I would want to live with that as an option though (or else it would be too easy to just pack up and go when things got tough and I know that there will be tough times...and you have to see them through for a good several years before making up your mind properly).
I'd love to hear more about your experience and why you returned home. I am surprised by the beach story as Australia has such incredibly beautiful beaches! Although, saying that, we live a stone's throw from Dorset and there are some beautiful beaches there where you can of course swim freely, kayak, paddle board etc without fear of sharks or jelly fish or crazy rip tides! There certainly is a lot of weighing up to do. But the beaches in Australia look incredible.
We spent eight years in Oz, initially in Sydney, then Perth and moved back to the UK last year.

The main reason we moved back, was kind of linked to the reason we moved. Work, or lack of. I am a geologist and had worked in mining. All was good until about two years ago when the industry went into a major downturn and all of a sudden there was no work available.

At the same time, we had come to the conclusion that we had had enough and wanted to come home. We aren't really the type who would get homesick. I have lived / worked in 13 countries and my wife isn't even from the UK originally. But, it just seemed like we were just existing. This will get shot down, but it is my opinion. Oz is nice enough, but it can be dull and that the pros out weighed the cons of living there compared to the UK. For example, although we are not close to either of our families, it is still nice to see them occasionally, something that was impossible in Oz - we only returned for funerals.

There are a lot who think about going to the beach every day, well, we lived opposite the beach and we went a lot the first year, a lot less the second, and by year 5 barely at all. In fact some years I never went at all other than to walk the dog. There are only so many times you can point and go "oh, look, sand and blue water", before it get monotonous.

Going to see other parts of Oz is expensive and time consuming because it is so big. It isn't like the UK where you can pop to another city for a day. It is different time zones!

Wildlife was also an issue for us. We didn't live in the city, but in a small suburb closer to the country as we didn't want city life. But, that meant dealing with the fact there are snakes. I was never worried for me, but often for the dog.

So, eventually after getting an offer of a job back in the UK, we returned. We had lot everything, we came back with just a suitcase each. But, it has worked out in the end. We live in a wonderful village and we are happy
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people have pools. They are not so rare - esp on bigger blocks. if you know what you are doing, you can keep the cost down.

Many don't have pools.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Expatrick
At an interview recorded earlier today and released on the web the spokespider for the extreme right leg Huntsmen First! Party, Octa Leg, commented on this thread expressing dismay at the attitudes of arachnophobic immigrants to the region. Waving 4 legs animatedly she said "We were born here, if the humans don't like us they know what they can do! Let's vote for webxit and put a stop to immigration!".
Very good indeed
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by verystormy
We spent eight years in Oz, initially in Sydney, then Perth and moved back to the UK last year.

The main reason we moved back, was kind of linked to the reason we moved. Work, or lack of. I am a geologist and had worked in mining. All was good until about two years ago when the industry went into a major downturn and all of a sudden there was no work available.

At the same time, we had come to the conclusion that we had had enough and wanted to come home. We aren't really the type who would get homesick. I have lived / worked in 13 countries and my wife isn't even from the UK originally. But, it just seemed like we were just existing. This will get shot down, but it is my opinion. Oz is nice enough, but it can be dull and that the pros out weighed the cons of living there compared to the UK. For example, although we are not close to either of our families, it is still nice to see them occasionally, something that was impossible in Oz - we only returned for funerals.

There are a lot who think about going to the beach every day, well, we lived opposite the beach and we went a lot the first year, a lot less the second, and by year 5 barely at all. In fact some years I never went at all other than to walk the dog. There are only so many times you can point and go "oh, look, sand and blue water", before it get monotonous.

Going to see other parts of Oz is expensive and time consuming because it is so big. It isn't like the UK where you can pop to another city for a day. It is different time zones!

Wildlife was also an issue for us. We didn't live in the city, but in a small suburb closer to the country as we didn't want city life. But, that meant dealing with the fact there are snakes. I was never worried for me, but often for the dog.

So, eventually after getting an offer of a job back in the UK, we returned. We had lot everything, we came back with just a suitcase each. But, it has worked out in the end. We live in a wonderful village and we are happy
That's really good to know - thank you! With three little ones it is a concern not having lots to do. We have great friends here but they all work full time and I never made enough money to afford childcare, (which I'm actually glad about as I always wanted to be the one with them until they were of school age and even then, I want to be the one who drops them off and is there to pick them up. So although I have lots of friends, who all have children and all the children know each other well, I don't see my friends in the day. I talk to children 24/7 Which is lovely, but I do like to get out with them and go places. Yesterday we went to the woods and grasslands with a big park and played. Today we went to a big outfit paddling pool with water fountains. Tomorrow we'll go to a toddler music group...there's lots to do around here. I could probably name 15 things to do within 39 minutes of where we live including beaches, forest, play groups, swimming, parks, forest school groups, river walks etc. So we're certainly kept busy and I do need that. It is hard to grasp sometimes just how big Australia is. I am glad you're happy now back home And thank you for all the information as it has certainly made both my husband and I have a long hard think about what we want. Thank you
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete

I sought to sort it out .... sort of in the way of a thank you
I was going to say that!!! And then I thought no, I'll be good. But I'm glad you did
Old Jun 27th 2017, 4:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Lots of people have pools. They are not so rare - esp on bigger blocks. if you know what you are doing, you can keep the cost down.

Many don't have pools.
Lots of pools in Canada (well where I live anyway)